What are your best reasons for owning and actively using a portable dvd player ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben__Tyler, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Ben__Tyler

Ben__Tyler Auditioning

What are your most creative top 10 reasons (that can be also used for witty comebacks) for why it's worthwhile to own a current portable dvd player for dvd viewing and how it can also be used to impress male friends and the opposite sex, as a male.

I'm seriously interested in buying one (but not exactly the lowest priced one around), but friends and family think it's a waste of money.

2. AdamO

AdamO Extra

They are fun for travel. I rented one once when I flew to New York. Now I just use my Vaio Notebook, which works perfect when the batteries last.

3. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

I second that. Get a laptop computer. They're not that much more expensive (not to mention easier to get on the used market), plus you'll get a larger screen and the ability to take all of your music on the go as well.

On top of that, you'll be able to dial in and check the home theater forum when you're on the go! :)

4. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

I listen to commentaries while commuting (hour - hour, forty-five each way [​IMG] ). I got a power inverter, so I just plug it into that so I don't have to worry about the battery. and i just output the sound through a car tape adapter.
    Helps cut down on driving stress, and i've knocked out around 50 commentaries!!

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have a Pioneer portable w/ 7-inch screen that we travel with. After spending the entire day either traveling, seeing the sights, golfing, etc. we sometimes would rather just relax with a movie after dinner instead of going out. I also take it to my parents when visiting -- I can plug it into their RPTV and we can watch a movie with them.

As for the portable vs. laptop, I paid a little over $600 for my Pioneer. I doubt that I could purchase a laptop with a DVD player for twice that cost. If you do not need the laptop, why travel with the added bulk and weight? Besides, the portable is much quicker to startup a movie, and is easy to plug into a TV if desired.

6. Robert Cobb

Robert Cobb Agent

I doubt I can come up with ten reasons, but here is what I use mine for:

1. Connected to secondary TV when not in mobile use.
    2. Equips non-DVD vehicle with a player to keep the kids entertained.
    3. Take it to relatives houses when visiting because we seem to be the only ones with a DVD player.
    4. Entertainment on plane trips
    5. Stood in for primary player when it died - allowing me to take my time finding the right replacement.
    6. Kids can watch a movie at any house without taking over the host's TV.

7. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

I'd like one, too. I have to travel with a PC from work that doesn't accept DVDs. No way I'm traveling with two PCs!