What's new

What are you watching on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.? (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here's a thread for reporting on what you are watching on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Last night I watched the obscure 1982 Hitchcock-inspired thriller starring Meryl Streep and Roy Scheider called Still of the Night. It's directed by Robert Benton, who also directed Kramer vs. Kramer. It manages to reference North by Northwest (art auction scene), Vertigo (dream sequence), Psycho, Saboteur, etc. I think my rating on it is about a "B", but Streep and Scheider are worth watching imho. Picture quality on this "free" movie is very good. Wasn't even aware of this movie until yesterday.

1 still of the night.jpeg

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Still of the Night is an excellent thriller. Picked it up on DVD a few years ago.
I have recently watched Delhi Crime on Netflix and The Widow on Prime.
The Widow is a good entertaining series but Delhi Crime is an outstanding production.
Next up for us is Black Earth Rising on Netflx; the NYT’s were positive and John Goodman is always worth watching.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed Still of the Night when it was released on disc (both DVD and Blu-ray, I believe).

I've been talking about my Prime discoveries in the "Daily Viewing" thread, but this is a fine place to write about what I'm watching from here on in. I've been watching some of the kinescopes from 1950s live musical presentations. Bloomer Girl last night and One Touch of Venus and Kiss Me Kate within the last week. All are first-rate productions remarkably squeezing two-hour shows into 70-90 minute blocks with careful cutting of the less memorable tunes. The casts are fantastic, and I couldn't have been more pleased with them.

Also watched two 1950s film musicals over the past week or so: Li'L Abner and Three for the Show.

I have to say that Prime has a remarkable assortment of "old" films in addition to thousands of TV shows and more modern movies.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Watched CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM on Amazon Prime today. I think of it as a British version of a Pine-Thomas film. Dirk Bogarde stars as a young man in ill health who takes possession of his grandfather's Canadian land. He wants to drill for oil but a competitor is building a new dam on the land. Lots of action and beautiful scenery and some great special effects (oil fires, explosions, dams bursting, etc.) Stanley Baker, Michael Craig, James Robertson Justice and Sid James co-star.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
on Netflix The Andy Griffith Show and any of the Star Trek Series' prior to discovery. Hulu Been watching Revenge and NYPD Blue

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM on Amazon Prime today. I think of it as a British version of a Pine-Thomas film. Dirk Bogarde stars as a young man in ill health who takes possession of his grandfather's Canadian land. He wants to drill for oil but a competitor is building a new dam on the land. Lots of action and beautiful scenery and some great special effects (oil fires, explosions, dams bursting, etc.) Stanley Baker, Michael Craig, James Robertson Justice and Sid James co-star.

Sounds interesting to me. Thanks for the recommend.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon Prime - The Man in the High Castle, season 3. Not burning through this one as fast as S1/S2 since S4 won't be out for a while.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Knowing how that series ended, not sure I could revisit it again. It was great during it's initial run.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Act on Hulu (first three episodes out now of this 8-episode first season of that Hulu series, this w/Joey King as Gypsy Rose Blanchard, and Patricia Arquette as her mother Dee Dee, who suffered from Munchausen by proxy)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
It was a great show at the time but I don't feel I can invest all that time in watching it again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's an entirely different thing to say.

It IS still a great show.

Too bad you don't have the time. It's so much better than many of today's choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks