What are you using to store your mp3s?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_C, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dan_C

Dan_C Agent

My laptop hard drive is filled to its capacity. I wanted to get a new, dedicated external drive for storing my mp3s. That way when I upgrade my laptop (in a year or 2), I can just plug it in to the dedicated hard drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for

2. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I just burn my mp3's onto CD's as data files. You can get a couple hundred or more per disc and the disc are dirt cheap these days. That way, you won't loose them to a hard drive crash, they won't become corrupt, and you can always transfer them back to a hard drive later.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dan,
    I recommend a Firewire external hard drive IF your laptop has a Firewire/1394 out jack. Youcan buy firewire drives from many sources.
    http://www.caldrives.com is one that has some good deals right now. I would suggest their 60GB drive for under $250, 5400 speed 60GB drive is undeer $200.
    Or if you don't yet have Firewire on your laptop you can always get a USB external drive. You might even consider a combo Firewire/USB drive so that you can use USB now and Firewire later. Same company above has a 60GB combo drive right around $250.
    There are many sources for external hard drives, Caldrives is just one that I saw recently.
    Glenn

4. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Go with a Firewire PCMCIA card and HD. USB is really meant for stuff like input devices. It will work, but it will offer significantly slower in transfer rates than a firewire drive.

Make sure the drive case utilizes the newer Oxford 911 IDE-Firewire bridge chip.

6. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I think Firewire is 30x faster than USB 1.0 (Not sure about USB 2.0)

A Firewire Ext. HD is probably the best solution, but I also do a little bit of what Steven was saying: CD-R

I get them for .14/ea from Best Buy on sale and they hold 700MB (approx. 180 songs @128kb/sec) I have probably 20 CDs that I can loan out, use at work, or use in Laptops....etc.

I think the answer for you depends on if your computer is Firewire equipped.....is it?

~Rob

7. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

A company called ADS make a firewire kit which allows you to put a standard IDE drive into it and convert it to an external firewire drive - useful for upgrading later.

8. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I simply use a USB connected HD - It's 20GB and I think it was $115 online.