1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are you playing right now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, Aug 17, 2010.

1. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ It's on my list, probably my next VR game purchase. I am terrible at racing games though. Does it have an "easy" mode for the racing difficulty? I've never played any version of the game before.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I checked my playtime and I am just shy of 300 hours in Skyrim. I am beginning to think I’m addicted to it.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I've "finished" World of Final Fantasy. I did all the main story, found it a not just fun but a neat little story. Once you finish the story, it opens up some more dungeons that are more challenging, had fun with those too. There's also Coleseum battles, did those and though maybe I would go for 100%. Got to the mini-games, and they are such annoying, twitch sh*t completely different from the rest of the game, I'm done which means I wont get 100%.

To wrap up nearly 100 hours of play like this, it kind of sucks to be honest. Hard turn based battles requiring strategy is one thing, hard arcade style games in a RPG is garbage. I can't even get a sense of accomplishment from finishing the mirage manual since one of them is tied to a mini-game.

If this is the future of Final Fantasy games, I think I'll stick to the old ones.

4. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I gave up on a few games because of stuff like that. So different from the rest of the game, I found them really difficult and even "painful" with a PS3/4-style controller, but they were not optional to progress. Went back a year or more later and did them. The memory of the painful parts makes me not want to go back to those games, even though in some ways I'd like to, but I (so far) never go back to the "exact" games I've "completed"...usually a remaster or new chapter of the games comes out, so that suffices.

5. 1965 Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Beginner! :)

I find the PSVR Skyrim even more "addictive" than the flat version, or more like I really lose track of time in the VR world. Possibly just me, but there's something about being in a VR world (even though PS4 Skyrim is not by any means the most VR "immersive" game out there) that adds a certain "immediacy" to things, makes me feel like I need to do this or that *right now* rather than later (my natural inclination...).

By some method that I could never figure out, I played the original version of PSVR Farpoint (usually game updates are automatic on first install). I found a few things I thought could be a bit better. Next time I booted the PS4, the game updated. Much better! This is a long-winded way to say that they incorporated a *real-time wristwatch* into the spacesuit design. Perfect for people like me, even though I know you can pop out of the game to the OS and see the time anytime, having it in front of you as part of the game is much better.

[I'm not playing anything for a while now, so I can annoy you about other topics. :)]

6. 1966 Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Knight Terrors on the Switch.
    For $3 this may be the best game purchase I make this year. I'm completely addicted:

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    LeoA likes this.
  8. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I have just started a new game of Borderlands 2: The Pre Sequel. This time I am trying out being Wilhelm. It is weird playing a character I know is going to be a bad guy.

And as a confession, I am also using the save game editor to make this more fun. It is "cheating" but I have played through once already as Athena and I so I wanted to try it again with better stuff. :) Besides, we know Wilhelm would do it. LOL

Plus, all I am doing currently is leveling up my gear along with me. So if I find a great gun at level 3, I keep leveling it up with me.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I haven't played any games for quite a while, but I'm going to play PS4 Ratchet & Clank. Was/am a big fan of the PS3 games, picked up the PS4 game because I've been meaning to, but when it went to $10 last week, I quickly bit. Now that I've looked into it, I see it's a modern realization of the original PS2 game...I didn't expect that at all. And even though I'm one of the suckers who bought the movie BD, now I get the "game based on a movie based on a game" tagline a little more accurately...I thought they just meant it "generally" re R&C themselves. I also see that if you pre-ordered the game, you got the Bouncer weapon. I'm disappointed, it's my favorite weapon in the whole series (17 different games!), such perfect sound effects and enemy responses for it, I always ended up laughing a lot whenever I used it.

10. 1970 May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Well, that was dis-a-point-ing...I must be doing something wrong. It's my first "flat" game on the PS4 Pro, which I got around last Black Friday. I played it on a 1080p plasma (my other choice is a 4K/non-HDR LCD), with the Pro's Supersampling enabled, and it's supposedly a Pro-enhanced game (was patched for that). Honestly, doesn't even look as good as some of the PS3 remastered R&C games from the PS2, or some of the later series of PS3 R&C games, on the same display.

I kind of put this game at the bottom of my wishlist after it was announced, it seemed to take "forever" to be released, didn't really pay attention to anything about it after it was released. Am pretty lousy at platformers, but I like the challenge, and I always find R&C games to be very challenging. And amusing. So I was hyped after buying the game, reading about how this was "the best-looking" game on the PS4, and "absolutely beautiful" with the Pro and 4K/HDR. High expectations. It looks good, about as good as the R&C movie I thought, and people said that looked excellent too. I also thought the movie looked blah, certainly no Pixar, but no obvious flaws either. Have my eyes been screwed by PSVR gaming? I've been watching a lot of movie BDs and even some 50s TV BDs lately and I thought they looked excellent!

I do have a new pre-pro in the signal path, might be a setup prob there, this is the first time I've used the Pro through that video processing to an actual display. Also, the Pro got some system update when I fired it up (been a while...), and it's not unknown for those to break something.

Edit: nope, settings all good. But today there's another PS4 system update...we shall see. I forgot to mention that something about the Share function seemed screwed yesterday. I never use it, but new game, so I press all the DS4 buttons at the beginning to see how they work, and it almost seemed like the game got locked in some "mode" that wasn't right. In some games Sharing removes e.g. the HUD from the display etc., but IDK exactly how things should look since I've never played the game before, but something seemed wrong.

And again: [should have put in PS4 thread, sorry] It's all good now, smooth movement and glossy clean detailed video, even the menus look great compared to before. No idea what went wrong, maybe the game install update patch (1.05 IIRC) and the "concurrent" 5.53-01 system update got into a fight, I had no control over how they installed. But I did note the PS4 restarted an unusual number of times, and checking today, the online forums say 5.53-01 doesn't even require a single system restart (that's unusual too). Guess I'm lucky that the 5.55 update happened the next day for me.

11. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Yeah, if you're saying that the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game didn't look as good as the PS3 remasters, then something is VERY wrong. Sounds like you may have it sorted out, but PS3 remasters compared to PS4 version is night and day.

12. 1972 May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Yeah, now I wish I still had the LG E6 OLED to play it on...but I didn't have a Pro then either. It does look quite beautiful even on the plasma. [Maybe I'll give it a gander through the PSVR headset, not sure what it'll let me see, haven't tried a flat game on the Pro/PSVR yet IIRC, but it might still look decent and kind of cool in LARGE.] And the gameplay and "tricks" and scenarios came back to me, I'm surprised I remember them, but then I haven't got that far into the game yet. But enough that now I'm wishing they could do the same thing to GC and UYA, my favorite two. But I read that they "gave away" this PS4 R&C game with PS+ for some time, so maybe it didn't sell enough and no incentive?

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Ratchet and Clank was on PS+ either last month or the month before. That doesn't mean it didn't sell well, lots of great-selling games end up on PS+. It's probably because it's a big title that DID sell well and they made a lot of money on it so they don't mind putting it out "for free" (with a subscription) a year or two after it came out.

14. 1974 May 21, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Anybody play that PS4 Ratchet & Clank with the PSVR Processing Unit (PU) connected up in the normal way? [To be clear, I'm not using the PSVR headset, it's just connected and not powered on.] I am getting some video delay that's only occasionally noticeable, when split-second timing is essential (certain grind rails).

I wouldn't be surprised if the PU (v2) was the culprit for my probs the other day, it's always on when the PS4 is on and all A/V passes through it. I'm just suspecting it, no facts, will test.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

CraigF - have you set your TV to a gaming or PC input setting to reduce input lag?

16. 1976 May 21, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Yes, I did. Just for the heck of it though, on the pre-pro too. I never noticed it made any difference...before. But: this is the first time I've noticed where the video appears to be lagging, and also it's the first game I've ever played with the PS4 Pro connected to a display (Pio plasma), and it's a new pre-pro. So there's a lot of new territory for me.

I should say that the game is v1.07 (not what I said before). And I have Supersampling on, which does affect video of course! So I should turn that off for a test JIC. The game is supposedly Enhanced for the Pro. I also do not have Boost Mode on, not sure if it's relevant to an Enhanced game, but PS4 Settings let's me set the option. Mostly I'm clueless because I've only used the Pro for PSVR, where none of these things are relevant.

This gets real "Ratchet & Clanky": the "delay" is only noticeable on the grind rails. If I want to jump sideways, I need to do it before the display shows me I should. And yet if I want to jump forward (over obstacles), it seems normal, but this is much harder to judge because you have a fairly large/variable obstacle-clearing time window. Not so for sideways jumps, there's a very small precise window. The "video delay" makes it really hard, essentially impossible, on the toughest course. (You know the one! And you know what I want at the end.) I am pretty good on the grind rails, historically-speaking, so it's not that. :)

Edit: I have come to the conclusion, after much connection and setting changing, plus gameplay testing, that it's not a video delay after all. I did everything I could think of short of swapping in an OG PS4 for the Pro. And that Supersampling sure does work well, however they're doing it, it's very apparent to my eyes when it's enabled (too bad it couldn't work in PSVR).

I don't keep good records of gaming stuff, but the evidence is I have played eight R&C games in the last 3 years. I recall that they never did get that "weapon wheel" working properly, sometimes up to "90%" in a game, then back down to crap in the next one. We worked around it, got (mostly) used to it, expected it even. The odd thing is the developers of BioShock (1) must have been R&C fans, because (besides the character's wrench weapon at the beginning) they got the pretty much identical R&C weapon wheel config working essentially perfectly. So what I'm getting at is the weird response I'm getting with the DS4 may just be a "game characteristic", like the old crappy weapon wheels, and I'm having a problem adjusting to it. Though it could be a result of some system or game update conflict in the years since its release. Not even the DS4s are the same as they were when R&C came out, and there wasn't a Pro.

My exact problem is that when I'm on a grind rail, and only there, the Left stick does not register responses for Left and Right movements properly, usually not at all. I only have two DS4s (both the latest version) and both act the same. Why this is a problem is I can't complete the game, because there's a mandatory rail section that I can barely even start. [Just found my "retired" original DS4, will give that a shot.]

17. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I've been ping ponging back and forth between Skyrim and Fallout 4 (usually new mods that look interesting drives my choice of which franchise to play.)

I think I need to step away from Bethesda for awhile and I'm considering starting Surviving Mars. (Considering how much time I spend with settlements in FO4, it should be a natural. :) )

- Walter.

18. 1978 May 23, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Just to wrap up my pathetic PS4 Ratchet & Clank saga, which I know you've been waiting for: I found a work-around, and it does appear to be a bug. And I found a bunch more "bugs" along the way that are vaguely similar, but I didn't put it all together until yesterday. Also had one game freeze/crash a few days ago, forgot about that, rare for an R&C game IIRC.

The grind rail: what I need to do is stand in front of it. Then Quit to the starting menu, then Continue. I get one shot. If I fail, I need to quit/continue again, otherwise the controls won't work properly. This is not too bad, since it all goes very quickly, and there's always a checkpoint at the grind rail.

If I go back to some places, some parts are not "initialized" properly. I needed to quit/continue at each of those spots to get things working properly. I'm not talking about places that get changed as part of the game, but regular features that don't work e.g. a swingshot target that won't open, moving platforms that won't move.

19. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

So bizarre. I didn't encounter any issues like that, and haven't heard of anyone else in the gaming forums I frequent have any similar issues either.

Only thing I could suggest is turning off Boost Mode and Supersampling and see if that changes anything. I only say this because I'm pretty sure I played it before those things were an option, so I don't know if they may have broke anything.

CraigF likes this.
  20. 1980 May 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ More crashes/freezes since my last R&C News Report. Never happened in the one PS4 Pro/PSVR !!Bethesda!! game I've put significant time into. Or any other (OG) PS4 game I've played.

I do have Boost off, but Supersampling is on. I did turn SS off and didn't notice any difference with my control problem, so turned it back on since I'm playing on a 1080p display (it looks nice).

I know nobody else reported anything like this. But I think most people played this game quite a while ago, as Morgan said, that's probably why they "gave it away" eventually (the disc I got was very cheap too). There have been numerous System updates since the last game patch. I even have the PSVR PU disconnected JIC, but I still have the PSVR firmware stuff installed on the console of course, don't know if the PSVR even existed last R&C patch. Different DS4 models too. So yeah, something could have got slightly broken in the meantime.

I hope I can somehow make it *to* the last Boss fight without giving up; there's a grind rail section before it, and that's where my controller doesn't work properly for more than one try = pretty frustrating. I need to get far enough in each try so that I eventually know the rail route and can execute it in one shot without needing to quit/continue to "reset" the controller behavior. This is more annoying to me than it is difficult. I can take a fair bit of annoyance before I give up... :)