What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Cool. I had a really hard time getting that PS3 ICO/Shadow version, it was difficult to find in Canada, and went for ridiculous prices if you could, even used (I think I got it in the U.S., it's a U.S. version anyway). I don't know anything about it, but it was one of the few games that "everybody" said I should play. If it's really that good, makes sense they should do a PS4 version. Lots of people who were too young etc. for the PS2/3 versions are really liking some of the PS4 versions of those games.

Oh yeah: bet they'll make the PS4 version a LOT easier than the PS2/3 versions are...and that's the REAL reason they're re-doing them. Many people nowadays choke on games that children played on the PS2.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I honestly don't think they'll change the difficulty. This isn't a twitch style / reaction type game, it's not overtly combat heavy. Its closer to a platform puzzler.

The real huge reason to wait for the PS4 version is that I read that they are re-doing the controls for more modern controls. The PS3 version has a really odd control scheme that makes playing it extremely frustrating at times, and kills a lot of the enjoyment. I've completed the PS3 version 100% and I can't even begin to count how many times I thought 'This game would be absolutely amazing if I could control it properly.' They were so bad that I started the game a couple years ago and gave up about 20% into it. I came back to it just a few months ago and completed it for a backlog event for another forum, and ended up enjoying it once I finally got used to it, but that was my chief complaint. If you've never touched it before and don't know anything about it, you could truly be put off by that and would be better served waiting for the remaster.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are classics, but there are definitely certain aspects that have not aged incredibly well, specifically the controls. But, like most games, commit some time and effort to it and you'll get used to it enough to finish the games.

Also, the 3D effect in both adds to the experiences, much more so in SotC. If you have a 3D TV I definitely recommend it.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
^
Holy crap, that Skyrim is a world that, even at my rock-bottom level, I can see could be a real time-suck. I could see people rushing home from work (if they did...) to play this,

So yeah, I expect months before I'll even get to ICO/Shadow, I play slowly and sporadically.

According to Steam (I played the PC version), I spent 276 hours playing Skyrim, without even coming close to finishing the main quest. I didn't even remember what the main quest was after a while; I was having too much fun exploring the seemingly hundreds of sidequests to be bothered with a main storyline. I used a lot of mods to pretty up the place, and as such, my archer avatar was an incredibly beautiful woman. Others thought so, too; when I posted a pic of her on a gaming forum, people couldn't believe she was actually a Skyrim avatar. Unfortunately, when I moved to a new computer, even with the same mods, she reverted to the "plain Jane" she was in the beginning, and I couldn't pretty her up again. Although it's petty, it was a big reason why I never finished the game. Then "Witcher 3" came out and it didn't matter anymore...

I just finished the Diablo 3 expansion pack. I blazed through it in two sittings, but that's because my avatar was a bit "overpowered" at the end of the original game. I could have upped the difficulty, of course, but it was enough fun the way it was. I got it on sale for $6, so it wasn't that important.

I play a lot of Planet Coaster and Cities: Skylines, but even with sandbox modes, mods, and countless YouTube tutorials,I just can't make decent amusement parks or cities. The spirit is willing, but...

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I used a lot of mods to pretty up the place, and as such, my archer avatar was an incredibly beautiful woman. Others thought so, too; when I posted a pic of her on a gaming forum, people couldn't believe she was actually a Skyrim avatar. Unfortunately, when I moved to a new computer, even with the same mods, she reverted to the "plain Jane" she was in the beginning, and I couldn't pretty her up again.

She used to be pretty, but then she took an arrow to the knee.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
She used to be pretty, but then she took an arrow to the knee.

:lol: There was a mod that removed that line of dialogue from the game!

*sigh* :

Carranthia800.jpg

She was DEADLY, too...her Archery skills were maxed out, and since I had her explore the world in stealth mode, she was damn near invisible. Enemies would be inches from her face and have no idea she was about to gut them like fish. The story and dialogue in my head were more enjoyable to me than the real game...

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hubba hubba!

I finished the FAR HARBOR expansion for Fallout 4. Pretty anti-climatic despite being an interesting story. They had a bit in the main quest that was more tower defense puzzle than first person shooter that was both a nice surprise and a curse. On to Nuka World now, I'm hoping to wrap this damn game up this month before the scary movie challenge kicks in Oct 1.

(I don't think I'm going to make it...)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
SKYRIM is a perfect game for the winter season if you live in a area where the weather gets cold and you just want to tuck in all day with a game.

That was a great call, and IMO 100% correct! I just got back from a 3-week quasi-vacation ("house-sitting" only ~70 miles from here), and not isolated per se, but just enough off the beaten path that there's only dial-up (makes many sites, especially this one, essentially unusable). And lots of video stores still. Put that together with unexpectedly and unseasonably cold weather, and very cold nights = too unpleasant for even fishing for this guy, and I had a lot of time for games.

I've done this gig before, so I brought a PS3 (versatile, small) and a stack of movies, and Skyrim. I had only just started Skyrim, so I sure could have used the wikis for some questions, but I muddled along. It's funny, but the warm, bright, sunny game locations actually made me feel warm! And the colder locations were effective in conveying that too. I have no idea what the story is now, every time I turn around there's a new quest added, or I pick up something that's for some quest I haven't got yet.

Speaking of a female archer character. For the first time, I decided to play as a female character. Don't know why, since in first person I don't even see her much. She was supposed to be a "warrior princess" (whatever that is), but looks more like the warrior princess' mother. And I accidentally made her a magic-oriented race. Her biggest skill is archery though, it's the closest to a sniper in this game, which is what I like. All my best skills are in the thief category, which is bound to happen if you play like a sneaky sniper. Doesn't seem to matter, probably can't screw up with any character traits, though some will make it easier I guess.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The real huge reason to wait for the PS4 version is that I read that they are re-doing the controls for more modern controls. The PS3 version has a really odd control scheme that makes playing it extremely frustrating at times, and kills a lot of the enjoyment.

That's really going to annoy me on the PS3 then. It's the thing I hate the most about older games: their sometimes very odd control schemes. Nowadays we're used to various schemes that are pretty standard, all the experimentation took place back then and the better schemes prevailed. Though there are typically quite a lot of controller options nowadays, way back there usually weren't.

After a lot of swearing I eventually do get accustomed to the weird schemes, and then I'm screwed up for the next more-modern game.

By the time I imagine I'll be done with Skyrim, probably the PS4 version of ICO and/or SotC will be out. I guess I'll at least try the PS3 version first, since I went to so much "trouble" to get it.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently playing Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle on Switch. Absolutely fantastic game.
I watched some YouTube videos, and it didn't really make sense to me. It looks like a strategy game. I'm probably just going to wait until Mario Odyssey for my next Switch game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's basically X-Com for kids. It's a squad-based tactical strategy game, but very streamlined and adorable. The detail in the main worlds is great and the game is very, very funny.

It's kind of amazing that it exists at all. The fact that it's also really good helps.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Been playing Crazy Taxi HD and the Sega Vintage Collection Streets of Rage and Golden Axe compilations, thanks to a decent Sega XBLA sale last week. I hope the Monster World and ToeJam & Earl compilations are next to go on sale.

And I just bought Pac-Man Championship Edition DX + with all the DLC for $2.99 just now on my PS3. Already bought the base game on sale for $5 a couple of months ago, but the DLC is listed at $8. So it was cheaper to just rebuy the entire darn thing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ys VIII for PS4.
Such a great game. A true action RPG that makes me happy to be a gamer.

Strafe-I really love the gameplay, I do. I just wish it wasn't so difficult, and randomly generated level design has never been a positive in any game. The music is so very rad.

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been back on track playing No One Lives Forever. The graphics have obviously aged in the 17 (gulp! now I feel incredibly old) years since its release, but I think they are still pretty nice and the script is as fantastic as ever. This is just an absolute classic, even if I remember enough of the twists that I won't be too surprised by anything. Still, it's incredible how far Monolith went so quickly after the rather rough Shogo and Blood II.

Caught a hilarious little joke that made me laugh out loud:

A submarine passes by on the screen and the numbers 8675 are visible on the side. As the fin comes into view several seconds later, you see the numbers 309. Subtle, but hilarious!

Still have a few days of this, but I'll soon head into No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in HARM's Way (it should have just been called A Spy In HARM's Way: A Cate Archer Adventure or something like that, since No One Lives Forever is the "Bond" title, and it isn't Dr. No 2: From Russia With Love, but I guess they figured it was risky to not make it explicitly a sequel). As I recall, the graphics take a tremendous leap from the original, though they will still be very aged by now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just started Resident Evil 7 on PSVR over the weekend. I can definitely tell the game was designed/optimized for regular PS4 and that there are sacrifices for it to work in VR, but it's still awesome. The movement works much better than I would have thought and I don't get too queasy anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks