What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the secret puzzles in Statik on PSVR, moving on to Resident Evil 7 in VR soon. Meanwhile, I have Shadowgate (the recentish remake) on my phone.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Still living in the post apocalypse of 2287. In other words, Fallout 4. :)

I've been experimenting with a lot of the mods and a variety of play through styles. One-punch man was a pretty fun build, but the repetitiveness of the kill style did get a little old after a while. Currently playing a rifle/shotgun-centric character with a constantly rotating set of armaments.

Probably my favorite mod right now is a personal jetpack (not a power armor jetpack) that permits you to vertically ascend the highest structures in the game. It allows you to take some interesting shortcuts, such as zooming to the top of the Corvega Assembly Plant or getting a sky-eye view of downtown Boston. Being able to play in a vertical dimension really changes the game. Pesky bandits taking pot shots at you on the other side of a junk fence with a chained door? Just zoom over the fence and dispatch the raider scum.

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
LOVERS in a Dangerous Spacetime

This a delightful co-op action shooter. The mechanics are simple enough that my wife can play, giving us a new game to play together in the evenings. This is akin to the LEGO games, but the co-op play is truly requires coordinated play; it's not two people playing single player games on screen simultaneously.

This also fits my need for shorter, punchier games. I unable to fit in Fallout 4 right now so finding games like Journey and LOVERS is great.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After taking a couple months off to play Breath of the Wild, I finally got back to Link's Awakening DX and finished that Wednesday on my lunch break. Yesterday, I started Final Fantasy IV on my 3DS so I imagine I'll be occupied with that for a few months.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am still getting slapped around in Borderlands 2, TVHM solo. So much so, that a couple times I played for several hours and ended up *further back* than where I left off in the previous session. :) Frustrating, but challenging. Not much I can do, problem is by having to re-do stuff I have leveled up much faster than I wanted to...just hit level 50 (supposedly the "ideal" level to finish TVHM PT2) and am a quest or two from the end I think. So, playing 24/7 for two weeks just about ought to get me there...

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm forever playing Fallout 4. Going through the DLC before completing the main quest. On Nuka-World now. Just started it so not much to say.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Russell, Be careful with how you go through the Nuka World stuff as some of your decisions could impact what options are available in the main story. I think most people have finished the main story line before doing the DLCs so it isn't a big deal, but I suspect your actions in NW could piss off some factions in the main quest.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Lately, a whole lot of Persona 5 (PS4). I haven't binged this much on a game in ages. Its game loop reminds me of the Civilization games... one more decision, one more day. One day I played about five hours in a row, which for me almost never happens. Its plot is a lot more focused than Persona 3 or 4, with dungeons that have specific designs, and missions that have you rooting for the outcome.

Yakuza 0 (PS4) has way more in common with brawlers like Shenmue than any of the open world games of the past 20 years. And it's a blast. The cut-scenes are long but a little insane and really compelling. It manages to be both mature and really silly, sometimes at the same time. This is a top-notch title from Sega, with a lot to do, and a really smooth, slick presentation. The combat is a little difficult... but it has a real "90s arcade" style that I dig a lot.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is still on my radar, of course, but apart from being past the first section...

(I'm off the plateau and upgrading my house)

...I just can't seem to advance the plot. I keep getting distracted.

Also: Ever Oasis on the 3DS. It's a fun, colorful little game that reminds me of a "lite" Story of Seasons town-building game rounded out with some "lite" Zelda-style exploration and combat. The pace is a bit too slow at first, but it's charming if you have the patience. It's meant to be enjoyed in small doses; in a multi-hour session I'm sure it would get repetitive. Unlike a game like SOS: Trio of Towns, you don't need to scour the internet for obtuse strategies on how to succeed. Everything you need to know is provided by the game itself.

Lastly, I'm making my way through the Gears of War and Halo series for the very first time. I'm about halfway through Gears of War 2 and barely an hour into Halo 2. These are about as brainless as you might think shooters about grunts fighting an alien apocalypse could be, but both of them (especially Gears) know exactly when they're being stupid, and lean into it that stupidity with abandon. I'm also surprised how good these games still look, especially Gears 2, which never got a remastered edition.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We played our fill of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, so I bought Overcooked: Gourmet Edition. Hopefully it's good.

A friend lent me Uncharted 4 earlier this year. I started it up this afternoon. Wow! I've never played an Uncharted game before. But realized I was in for a good time when I saw it was from Naughty Dog. This is really engaging, immersive experience. And I feel like I've dropped into the fourth movie in a long-running series. There are what must be references for fans of the previous games.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Overcooked is a bust. Too chaotic-puzzler for us, and not straight forward cooperation like Lovers. Sadly, $20 wasted.

I'm trying Little Big Planet 3, which I have in my PS+ library.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's the Japanese single disc version. That American release won't work with my revision of Saturn, so I had to buy them individually. :( I have Space Harrier, but not After Burner II.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just finished Borderland 2 yesterday. I know I am a few years late. :)

I finished at level 33. Aren't I supposed to be at level 50 to start True Vault Hunter Mode? I don't think there are enough side missions left to do that.

I have purchased The Pre-Sequel (only $12) and will probably start it next weekend.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I just started BL2 UVHM yesterday, hardly a few missions into it really. FWIW, not nearly the shock that TVHM was after normal mode, but then, I was expecting the transition this time.

For TVHM, starting somewhere in the low 30s is typical, 33-34 sounds about right, I forget what I was and I did "everything" (some things more than once...). IIRC weapons in normal mode only go up to ~32, unless you get them from the Golden Chest of course, so they expect you to be about that level or so. As an aside, all the stuff in your bank and stash will be available to you again extremely shortly after you start TVHM, it is at Claptrap's house. You can always access your stuff from there, any mode and any time, after original access is granted.

For TVHM, the recommended strategy is to only do story missions, to not even accept any optional missions, then to go back and do side missions when you're done with The Warrior, so that your weapon rewards are all at the highest level (50). This may not be the easiest way, you'll almost certainly want to do the odd optional mission to level up to meet the next story mission's level, so people tend to pick optional missions with unimportant rewards. As I found out, once you hit level 50 (the TVHM story cap), all remaining story missions and their associated loot etc. also scale to 50 (this is not what the wiki says, possibly a "hotfix").

In TVHM, once you hit level 50, no matter when it happens, you will note you get dramatically less XP for doing stuff. This is very helpful in that you can do really a lot of stuff, before and after The Warrior, yet still finish TVHM at level 50 or barely into 51. XP-earning returns to the regular rate when you go to UVHM.

It is UVHM that you want to be ~level 50 to start, as close to that as possible to minimize the transition shock, because the enemies there will roughly match your actual level, but your regular found/earned weapons won't be better than 50.

You/we may think we're late to the BL2 party, and we are, but there are tons of people in the same boat. It is newish to some platforms, so it's still an extremely active and ongoing concern, as new Keys every two weeks will attest. OTOH, I saw the PS3 version of TPS for CA$5 at WM, I paid 3X that not so long ago and haven't even cracked the BL2 DLCs (included on BD), never mind TPS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks