What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Currently playing Final Fantasy III on my 3DS. First time I've ever played it and it's a fantastic game other than the stupid job leveling system. You have to grind twice as long to really level up your characters.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Been playing "The Last Of Us: Remastered" on the PS4. I'm just about to start the "Winter" chapter. I like the game, but I don't love it. I find the same nags that I have with the Uncharted series. The story is great, and the story interactions are great, and the action bits are fun, but the mix of the two just don't work. Searching every nook and cranny of every environment and then have to completely re-start each encounter if you mess up takes away from the "cinematic" aspect they are driving so hard to capture.

Again, not a bad game at all, I'm glad I'm playing it, but I wont be losing sleep waiting for the next one.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Finished "Last of US" and the "Left Behind" DLC over the weekend. Fun game, but I'm not over the moon over it.Too much scrounging around and I'm butthurt that finishing the game only netted me 3 Trophies. I preferred the DLC to be honest. The pacing on the DLC was better. I doubt I'll replay it any time soon.

The Mario Odyssey trailer has me itching to run through some Mario games again so I think I'm going to move on to Super MarioLand on the Gameboy next. I've never played it so it will be a first.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What difficulty were you playing The Last of Us on? As weird as it is, the harder the difficulty, the more fun the game is because you get a better sense of the terror and dread from the enemies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
What difficulty were you playing The Last of Us on? As weird as it is, the harder the difficulty, the more fun the game is because you get a better sense of the terror and dread from the enemies.

I played it on Normal.I typically play all the games on normal.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah it's too easy on normal. Better on Hard or Survivor. Playing thru on Grounded difficulty now and it's unbelievably hard and challenging. Could not love this game more.

But hey, it's not gonna be the best game for everyone.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I played on Easy and that was plenty hard enough. :)

That's just it. My problem wasn't the difficulty, it was the presentation. It's the same issue I have with the Uncharted games at the end of the day. You have a cool action set piece, and the NPC's your with all run ahead chasing whatever, and then you as Nathan (or Joel in The Last Of Us) stay behind searching every nook and cranny for collectibles or in the case of The Last Of Us, the ingredients you need to survive. It's fun, and it's good, but the pacing takes away from the story since they feel separate from each other. I think Rockstar handle this type of "cinematic" gaming better. In "Red Dead Redemption" anyway.

I liked the game, I'm glad I played it. Clearing out a room full of clickers is incredibly satisfying. Sneaking around a bunch of clickers without them noticing you is also satisfying. Throwing a smoke bomb into a bunch of baddies and then hacking them to bits with an axe is super satisfying. Throwing a can into a room and getting the clickers to attack a bunch of humans while you pick off the strays with your bow and arrow might be most satisfying of all. Searching around areas for bit's of scissors to make a shiv or vitamins to improve Joel is a different type of satisfying, but takes up a so much time (for this OCD gamer) compared to the action part that it took away from the story and experience for me.

I don't think ramping up the difficulty to masochistic levels is going to improve the "scrounging around the locations instead of furthering the story" time. The DLC "Left Behind" better managed this aspect which is why I think I enjoyed it more.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Right, STILL PLAYING ALL THE GAMES!

finished Super Mario Land on the GameBoy. Really enjoyed this one. It's short and kind of perfect for a portable game. I also enjoyed the change up in some of the game play. Gave ALLEYWAY and GOLF a try on the Gameboy as well since Mario is in them. Alleyway is a surprisingly good variation on SUPER BREAKOUT from the Atari days. Surprising in how playable it is with D-Pad compared to the paddle in the days of old. GOLF was flat out terrible and didn't make any sense.

Currently playing SUPER MARIO WORLD on the Super Nintendo. A Mario game I never finished. I'm finding it harder than I should. Which is sad when I think about it. Still fun though. I'm not going to bother to unlock all the secrets. one go through the world will be enough for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Currently playing SUPER MARIO WORLD on the Super Nintendo. A Mario game I never finished. I'm finding it harder than I should. Which is sad when I think about it. Still fun though. I'm not going to bother to unlock all the secrets. one go through the world will be enough for me.
I never liked the "switches" in the game. I thought it detracted from the pacing of the game. Other than that it was pretty great.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Some of the best parts of Super Mario World were seeking out the hidden exits and discovering the Star and Secret worlds.

One of my favorites. I've probably played it at least once a year to full completion (Which means 96* on your save file) for 20 years now (I was a bit late to the party and didn't even get the system until 1995).

On the Game Boy Advance port, I've even taken it a step further. That one saves your score and lifes, so the counter of each is maxed out on each save file thanks to playing through this conversion several times through the years.

It also has a nice bonus with Luigi specific physics when you swap characters. It's a nice way for a Super Mario World veteran to mix the experience up after becoming so familiar with the game.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will probably pick up Resident Evil 7 today.
RE2 is one of my all time favorite games. I hear this is a return to the classic days of great puzzle solving, and horror.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Some of the best parts of Super Mario World were seeking out the hidden exits and discovering the Star and Secret worlds.

One of my favorites. I've probably played it at least once a year to full completion (Which means 96* on your save file) for 20 years now (I was a bit late to the party and didn't even get the system until 1995).

On the Game Boy Advance port, I've even taken it a step further. That one saves your score and lifes, so the counter of each is maxed out on each save file thanks to playing through this conversion several times through the years.

It also has a nice bonus with Luigi specific physics when you swap characters. It's a nice way for a Super Mario World veteran to mix the experience up after becoming so familiar with the game.
I remember unlocking the Star world. That was pretty neat. I haven't played it in about 20 years.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yume Penguin Monogatari for the Famicom. An utterly charming game, marred only by its incredibly short length.

PA.54155.001.jpg

Just look at the cute li'l fat dude! That's the goal of the game, to lose weight so your penguin darling won't leave you for a more buff, suave penguin rival. The graphics are pretty incredible for the Famicom, though I do think it came out after the Super Famicom had already been released (so, Konami knew how to push the hardware).

Playing it on a Famicom, not a ROM.

Here's some gameplay from one of my YouTube heroes, lukemorse1:

Last edited:

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Played a whole bunch of Skyrim for PS4, really enjoyed the remastered graphics and I had never played the expansions. Now Im back to my old grind, Minecraft :P

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I will probably pick up Resident Evil 7 today.
RE2 is one of my all time favorite games. I hear this is a return to the classic days of great puzzle solving, and horror.

Beware. I can only play for about an hour at a time before becoming nauseous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks