What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm loving Shovel Knight Dig. I appreciate that it's using the mainline Shovel Knight platforming and combat, but within a run-based design, sort of like if Downwell had both horizontal and vertical sections. Between this and Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon, Yacht Club Games seems to be hitting all the genres I love.

After long carpal tunnel delay, I finally started God of War Ragnarök. I'm still very early in the game, but it's exactly the kind of experience I imagined. Which is a good thing. Still hope they can try something completely different for the next game in the series. Also working my way through Stray and finally trying to finish A Plague Tale: Innocence on the Xbox.

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration has fewer games than its predecessors, but the emphasis is on quality over quantity. The promotional videos, documentary clips, artwork, and interviews give you enjoyable context while you try out games. (It's not just a ROM dump.) It also has games that have never appeared in a collection like this (from later consoles, home computers, Lynx, and Jaguar). You also get some "re-imagined" games based on classics like Breakout, Haunted House, and Yars' Revenge, which are much more fun than I expected.

There are still no classic licensed games and relatively few third-party titles, but if you're interested in the history of Atari, it's worth checking out for the interviews and weird promotional materials, like shots of weird "Puppy-themed" arcade cabinets designed for doctors' waiting rooms in the 1970s.

Goes without saying I'm still playing Vampire Survivors on the Steam Deck.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I plan to get that Atari 50 on the switch once it hits a sale. Looks like the representation I've always hoped for. Sucks they can't get licenses, Activision more so than ET but it looks like about the best they could do.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I feel like I wasted money on Atari 50.

I have nothing but love for the majority of the games on there, but .I have played them so often in different ways, on different compilations over the years. I really wasn't into it. The games that were new to me I didn't care for.

This is one game I was very sad to not have enjoyed like I should.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I feel like I wasted money on Atari 50.

I have nothing but love for the majority of the games on there, but .I have played them so often in different ways, on different compilations over the years. I really wasn't into it. The games that were new to me I didn't care for.

This is one game I was very sad to not have enjoyed like I should.
That's a bummer to hear. I have the flashback comps on the PS and Switch but do plan to buy this for the historical content. That said, I haven't bought it since it's over $50. Once it hits 50% off or better I'll get it.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
To me, Atari 50 is an interactive documentary with some playable elements. I loved the presentation and many of the stories of how the games were made. Seeing the promotional art for the pinball table was a real trip, for example. But if I were just playing for the games, I would be disappointed as I also have them emulated elsewhere.

This weekend I played five very enjoyable hours of The Callisto Protocol on the PS5. Then I came online and learned that the game has been received poorly due to its combat system (specifically the melee and dodge mechanic), its launch bugs, its price, its checkpoint system, its short length, and its story. 😆 Despite a few frustrations, I'm still having a great time with it. The graphics and sound design are astoundingly good.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This weekend I played five very enjoyable hours of The Callisto Protocol on the PS5. Then I came online and learned that the game has been received poorly due to its combat system (specifically the melee and dodge mechanic), its launch bugs, its price, its checkpoint system, its short length, and its story. 😆 Despite a few frustrations, I'm still having a great time with it. The graphics and sound design are astoundingly good.
This sounds like the PS5 version of Pokemon Scarlet on the Switch. I'm about 20hours in and having fun. Sure it's janky, but the janky is the set dressing. The game play has been fine as far as I can tell. Not making an excuse, games shouldn't be janky. But when you've been playing them for 45 years it's sadly pretty much expected.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m at the end of The Callisto Protocol and it has been a thoroughly mediocre experience.

Crashes, glitches, freezing. And the story is so dull. Not ONCE was I scared or felt suspense. The enemies are all generic.

It’s not a spiritual successor to Dead Space. It’s a pale imitation.

I was really looking forward to this game. Epically disappointed.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I’m at the end of The Calisto Protocol and it has been a thoroughly mediocre experience.

Crashes, glitches, freezing. And the story is so dull. Not ONCE was I scared or felt suspense. The enemies are all generic.

My friend has been hyping this game to me for about a year as Dead Space is his favorite series of games.

He sent me a message the other day about CP with a cryptic " Don't buy it :("

Too bad

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hooked up my PSVR to the PS5. I playing a bit of MOSS and finally tried "Eagle Flight". The PSVR quickly reminded me how bad the screen really is and the camera tracking, once again, ruins playing MOSS, an otherwise good PSVR game.

I would like to see a remaster of the MOSS games for the PSVR2. That way a person could actually enjoy playing one of the best games created for the PSVR, in the quality the series deserves.

Edit: it looks like the first MOSS game is being remastered for PSVR2. I have pre-ordered it.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I hooked up my PSVR to the PS5. I playing a bit of MOSS and finally tried "Eagle Flight". The PSVR quickly reminded me how bad the screen really is and the camera tracking, once again, ruins playing MOSS, an otherwise good PSVR game.

I would like to see a remaster of the MOSS games for the PSVR2. That way a person could actually enjoy playing one of the best games created for the PSVR, in the quality the series deserves.

Edit: it looks like the first MOSS game is being remastered for PSVR2. I have pre-ordered it.
It plays great on my occulus quest. Love that game.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

Both Moss games are coming to PSVR2 you can get the bundle for like $36 if you are a plus member.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1983-PPSA09677_00-MOSSXMOSS2BUNDLE

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That bundle must only be available on the US site. On the Canadian Playstation store, they are showing as two separate releases.

It plays great on my occulus quest. Love that game.

It's one of the better ones I saw for VR. It was one of the few I tried that actually felt like a complete game and not like a tech demo. Things have probably improved on the PSVR, but the early stuff was not impressive from a game playing perspective.

Eagle Flight wasn't bad from a technical perspective. I was standing up when the initial screen came up and it gave me a touch of vertigo. I thought I was going fall over. I had to take the headset off and sit down to try that one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, the only PSVR game I played where the resolution of the screen really killed the experience was Star Wars Squadrons, but that game also made me extremely dizzy/nauseous after just a couple missions so it was a rough but awesome experience all around.

I’m at the end of The Callisto Protocol and it has been a thoroughly mediocre experience.

I honestly wasn't sure what people saw in this game because it looked from the trailers exactly like you described. Not scary, just gory.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly, the only PSVR game I played where the resolution of the screen really killed the experience was Star Wars Squadrons, but that game also made me extremely dizzy/nauseous after just a couple missions so it was a rough but awesome experience all around.

My biggest problems with the PSVR is that there was not enough range of adjustment and the camera tracking. The edges of the screen always look blurry and the screen door is annoying, because it contributes to the lack of image sharpness.

I don't like having to sit on a kitchen chair four feet from the screen to get the tracking to work properly. Be that as it may, it mostly worked and I finally finished MOSS. I'll probably give Arkham asylum a try, since I have it in my library but never played it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There is some adjustment you can do on PSVR for eye pupil distance but for the most part if you're wearing the headset correctly then it works really well. I think the screen-door effect is mostly just games that aren't optimized well for VR and distant objects aliasing. The optics of the PSVR eliminate a lot of the SDE that the first-gen Oculus headsets had.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is some adjustment you can do on PSVR for eye pupil distance but for the most part if you're wearing the headset correctly then it works really well. I think the screen-door effect is mostly just games that aren't optimized well for VR and distant objects aliasing. The optics of the PSVR eliminate a lot of the SDE that the first-gen Oculus headsets had.
I've done that adjustment several times. The screen still has a soft, blurry look at the edges. It is just old technology.

I tried Arkham Asylum. Quite a bit shorter than MOSS. It was OK but not nearly as good. Terrible ending though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The blurriness around the edges might be from the optics but it also just might be foveated rendering, which is a graphical choice made by the developer.

Astrobot VR was really excellent, I highly suggest it. I'm surprised you didn't like the Batman game, I thought it was a great early proof of concept for VR.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I still haven't touched Forza Horizon 5. I'm currently playing 4, and there are so many tasks and races I don't think I'll ever get bored. I have a really nice collection of cars all painted and tuned to my liking.

I love the difficulty in this game too. I was playing on "pro". Which was pretty challenging. Most races I'd come in second (try hard not to use the rewind feature). I switched to "average" and the game is less stressful, and more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks