What's new

What are you playing right now? (2 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm on the verge of wrapping up my playthrough of Yakuza 2 after getting completely sidetracked in mini-games. I "finished" the main story over the weekend and have started on the Majima Story extra content that shouldn't take to long. Once done, I'm taking October off to watch horror movies and then plan to start Link: Breath of the Wild since it's apparently the greatest game ever made lol.

Speaking of the Switch. Thanks to save states and rewind I finally saw the final screen of Kid Icarus despite owning the NES cartridge for 40 damned years. I'm doing another playthrough of regular Punchout, having only played the Tyson version. I'm having a lot of fun going down nostalgia lane with the nes/snes online offering and I kind of love the presentation. I had a Pi set up with roms for doing this, and the Switch just feels better. To the point were some of the retro collections you can buy on the Switch feels a little lacking in comparison.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I've been playing "Deathloop" on PS5 for the last two weeks. I beat the game this weekend.

It's my game of the year so far.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Forza Horizon 4.

I use my Xbox One as a way to take my mind off of pedaling nowhere for exercise. And driving games are the funnest. I learned that after popping in GTA IV a few times and spending a half hour driving all over and doing horrible things. So racing games are much less violent.

Anyway, I had to do something tonight I had never done before, and didn't want to do.... online multiplayer play.

See, I had to complete 80% of the seasonal objectives to get a 1965 Pontiac GTO. Some of the objectives were online based. And I really wanted the GTO. So, online I went.

I tried to stay out of the way and not to drive like too much of an asshole, because I figure I suck at this. I'm not a gamer. And I didn't always succeed. But, it all worked out and I got the damn GTO.

Only a month until Horizon 5 is out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm finished with Returnal. It was a really addicting and enjoyable experience but most of the way through the endgame I stopped because the randomness was making it annoying to complete. Anyone who's gone to the end of the game knows what I'm talking about. If the payoff is a couple PSN Trophies and a 3-minute cutscene then I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Next up is the Doom Eternal DLC.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm on a game moratorium due to the Scary Movie Challenge. I did finish all I wanted to in Yakuza Kiwami 2 and just loved it. I'm tempted to pick up the remastered collection for the PS4/5, but a little leary too since it's remasters, not remakes and things like being able to save anywhere anytime have spoiled me.

I did a few levels of the tech demo ASTROS PLAYROOM on the PS5 and I have to say, it's a pretty fine platformer! Lots of nostalgia for those of us who have owned playstations through the years and I might actually go back to it. I've also been playing Punch Out/Super Punch Out on the Switch via the nes/snes online.

Which brings me to this months PS+ freebie: Hell Let Loose. I'm out of the online first person shooter loop so I thought I'd try it. Played it for 15 minutes, never sure where I was to go or what my objectives were. Killed instantly by unseen enemies every time I got close to an area with enemies in it. Then the server kicked me out. Are these fun? Is this fun? What am I missing? Due to not slavishly playing the genre for a decades is it just beyond me every being able to play? Maybe I'm just a single player or two player split screen guy and this online jazz isn't for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have been playing Super Punch Out too on my Super Nintendo. Championship Circuit is vicious, but I did manage to beat Narcis Prince.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Ha! Prince is a pain ain't he? I'm up to the old man with a stick and got stuck. That's what so fun with the game, each opponent has a trick to figure out and once you do, look out! I was telling a friend it's closer to a puzzle game than a sports one.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've been playing Metroid Dread. Its visual designs and animations are really well-done. Its design is a compromise between the standard Metroid exploration and a little more of the Fusion-style directed play that doesn't force you to wander aimlessly (If Hollow Knight had a similarly useful map, I'd still be playing it.)

I finally completed Dead Island on the Series X this week. I finished all of the game's repetitive missions started immediately on Dead Island: Riptide. Is this a janky series? Yes. But it's the equivalent of a B-movie you can appreciate despite its lack of polish.
I did a few levels of the tech demo ASTROS PLAYROOM on the PS5 and I have to say, it's a pretty fine platformer! Lots of nostalgia for those of us who have owned playstations through the years and I might actually go back to it. I've also been playing Punch Out/Super Punch Out on the Switch via the nes/snes online.
This might be bad for my "gamer cred," but Astro's Playroom was my first platinum trophy. Over the years I move on from games rather than max them out when I finish them, so it's proof of how engaging it was.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been playing "Deathloop" on PS5 for the last two weeks. I beat the game this weekend.

It's my game of the year so far.
FPS just don't do it for me anymore, no matter how fresh the concept. I tried, and tried but I have given up playing them (same with 2D fighters). At any rate watching some of the gameplay for that game did look pretty rad.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Started "Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" on the switch over the weekend and holy cats! I've never been more curious/dreaded and open world as much as I have this. It's all I'm thinking about at work today.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've been playing the Japanese version of Zelda 2 on the new Zelda-themed Game & Watch Nintendo released earlier this month. (The English version is included too.) I made it to the third palace on instinct but wow, this game is tough. There are also small but fascinating music changes and some graphical differences that I remember seeing in an old issue of Nintendo Power back in the day.

On my Xbox Series X, I've been playing Lego Lord of the Rings, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, all through backward compatibility. All have auto HDR (Dolby Vision) and are framerate boosted. They're marvelous.

I've gotten back into Returnal on the PS5. I really love it, especially after they added a suspend state feature. Still having trouble making it through the second world. But it's a blast and the haptics and short load times make easy to pick up for a "quick" run.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I played Zelda 1 & 2 on the switch via the nes online and man, Zelda 2 can pound sand. Just a merciless game. I was going to play link to the past, but I couldn't hold off on Breath of the Wild any longer haha.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Breath of the Wild was considered a sort of remake of the NES Zelda games. It isn't brutally difficult like them but the sense of wonder and open-world exploration, plus some landmarks and callbacks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bought some cheap Switch games this week:

Crusin’ Blast is the racing game I’ve been looking for! It’s silly, goofy, over-the-top arcade racer with maps with shortcuts and boosts and evolving events. It’s for me the spiritual heir to my beloved Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64.

A friend super-highly recommended Slay The Spire. I’m not sure about it yet. The graphics are rudimentary. And I’m not into card building games like he is. But, it could be decent entertainment on airplanes and hotels.

Donut County. I’m not sure if this is a “game” or a relaxation game of making things fall into holes. Either way, I’m hooked.

Oxenfree. Good reviews and $3 on sale. Haven’t started it yet.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Bought some cheap Switch games this week:

Crusin’ Blast is the racing game I’ve been looking for! It’s silly, goofy, over-the-top arcade racer with maps with shortcuts and boosts and evolving events. It’s for me the spiritual heir to my beloved Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64.

A friend super-highly recommended Slay The Spire. I’m not sure about it yet. The graphics are rudimentary. And I’m not into card building games like he is. But, it could be decent entertainment on airplanes and hotels.

Donut County. I’m not sure if this is a “game” or a relaxation game of making things fall into holes. Either way, I’m hooked.

Oxenfree. Good reviews and $3 on sale. Haven’t started it yet.
Oxenfree and Donut County are great.
Didn't know about Crusin' Blast, definitely going to check that out. Loved the Crusin' series growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks