1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are you playing right now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Been playing 'Doom & Destiny' on ps4. This is an old school snes era style rpg, and is incredibly fun. Surprisingly very meaty it seems, as I am on chapter 6 of 7, yet seem to have barely scratched the surface. Still have 66% of the map uncovered and have yet to even buy my first boat, let alone the ship and airship.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Hey ho gamer gang! I tried out Providence Poker on the PS4, and for a free to play poker game it's actually pretty good! The daily "cut" you get to log in on should mean that even if you lose all your chips you should be able to grind up a new stake pretty easy without spending real money. The online players also seem to be pretty chill, no "all in all the time" like the old facebook used to be.

That said, I didn't buy my PS4 for some stupid texas hold 'em, I gooned my back and got laid up in bed for the weekend and started SOUTH PARK THE STICK OF TRUTH and so far have been loving it. As a SP fan, it really is like playing an episode, and the depth of the RPG element is surprisingly deep for a game that it literally a giant fart riff on SKYRIM. The turn based combat takes a bit of getting used to being tied to quick time style button presses, but it's not too bad. I'm onto day two and am suitably obsessed with it enough to consider it a wise buy that I don't feel too bad pre-ordering that STICK/FRACTURED bundle since they made it sound like STICK was ONLY available during the pre-order only to find out it's widely available currently on sale and that bundle has never been unavailable since. Bastards. I'll never digital pre-order a title again.

3. 1claire

1claire Auditioning

Claire
    I just saw my copy of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I will play it tonight.

4. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    I started playing PS4 Witcher 3. Seems like a pretty tight game, and my first impression is some devs really liked Skyrim, and Fallout 3 (yay!) I'd say. I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider about a month ago, and the Witcher Senses reminds me of Survival Instincts too. Lots of twists on those Bethesda games I notice already though, and I've hardly gone anywhere, but I'm sure I've also already made pretty much every mistake I could (level 1)...

Goosey likes this.
  5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Finished South Park the Stick Of Truth over the weekend. Fun, funny and refreshingly short so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. I missed one of the 20 substory quests, and I'm not going to bother at this time with a second play through to trophy hunt. I'll probably start the second game this coming weekend, time permitting. If you're a fan of the show I imagine you'll get a kick out of this, it really is like playing an episode and I admittedly lol's over a few gaming choices.

6. Goosey

Goosey Auditioning

Tim
    Far Cry 5 on PS4 (meh) and Anthem on PC (boring after 30hrs!)

7. Message #2087 of 2113 Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    I've been playing some The Witcher 3 (TW3) on PS4. Just before I started maybe a month ago (and I haven't got that far), I saw a post somewhere in this sub-forum from somebody who said they would never play TW3. This has been in the back of my mind, and now that I know a bit about the game, I'm wondering why. If the person who said that is reading this and recognizes their comment... I wonder if the witcher's philosophy is off-putting...the game kind of warns you you're not being a proper witcher if you show too much compassion or such, or especially if you turn down coin out of empathy.

The only real issue I have with TW3 is the...what seems to me...exceptionally long loading times. This may not be a problem for most people, but I like to try stuff that usually ends in complete failure/death = reload. The loading times are so painful that I tend to be more cautious, and I don't like that, I like to try different things to see how they work myself, instead of going for the more obvious/proven.

8. Goosey

Goosey Auditioning

Tim
    TW3, IMO, is one of the best games on the platform. The loading times do suck but the game is worth it. I played through it 3 times to get a platinum trophy in it.

9. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ You have a lot more tolerance than I do if you made it through three whole times! I do know that most of the re-loading is because of me, and it's fairly easy to avoid, but it doesn't make testing new techniques/gear much fun. Or seeing if just maybe that monster that's 10 levels above you can be handled after all. (First time playing, I don't know any better...)

You know, if it was a few years ago, I would probably have considered putting a hybrid HDD in the PS4. Even then they were fairly cheap in 500GB/1TB sizes. There are not a lot of great apps where hybrids would be much better than a standard HDD, but this app (gaming) is one that could benefit sometimes. If the hybrid's buffer is a good size. The crippled SATA interface on the PS4 makes SSDs debateable: sure they'll help, but not nearly as much as they should. Mostly a waste of a large SSD, the way the PS4 eats disc space.

Goosey likes this.
  10. Goosey

Goosey Auditioning

Tim
    From the tests I've seen it only shaves off a tiny percentage of loading time.. however PS5 is rumored to be much faster when loading from disk and is backward compatible... only downside of course is waiting the 2 years :)

11. Message #2091 of 2113 Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ I haven't paid huge attention to improvements in hybrid drives over the past 2 years, don't seem to be that many, but at least they're cheaper. The speed-up they offer is hugely dependent on what you're using them for, the size/frequency of the *reads* (for our purposes we can ignore any writing downsides). For typical PC use, probably not much benefit that you'd actually feel. But for gaming, if the hybrid has a 16GB buffer and it's loading substantially less than that when the game reloads (not just the save file), could be quite noticeable, just a bit slower than a (SATA II) SSD. You'd definitely feel the diff, at least for the second time you did the same reload...

Hell, we're talking *2 minute* load times here, with Boost (supposedly helps), even at a single-digit game level (does it get worse?). I know, 2 minutes isn't long in a lifetime, but it sure breaks my flow and what passes for "concentration". I do realize this "reload problem" is all caused by me... :)

If it's 2 years to the PS5, might still be worthwhile. Not that I'll be an early adopter... I was more thinking that I probably won't use up the 1TB in the Pro in its expected lifetime. I got that machine 1.5 years ago, and I'm real slow at games, so a fair bit of storage left, but a lot less than I would have guessed considering the relatively few games installed. I wouldn't go to the minor hassle of replacing the PS4's HDD for one game at this point, but if the need arose, I think I'd go hybrid.

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    So far, I’ve racked up 128 hours in Dragon Quest XI. I’m not 100 percenting the game but I am very close to getting the platinum trophy for it.

Goosey likes this.
  13. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I just finished Dragon Quest XI on PS4. I was able to level everyone up to 99, defeat all five luminary trials as well as all five Harma trials. Although I didn’t 100 percent the game, this is the first game for which I’ve gotten a platinum trophy. I usually just play for fun and don’t bother with trophies but I was already so close to platinum that I didn’t mind doing a little extra work to get it. It only took four months with a total play time of just over 140 hours. :D

Goosey likes this.
  14. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ I have never gotten a platinum, on any platform. Keeping the streak going... :)

15. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Well the good news is that there now exist tons of games that you can get a platinum for in about 5-10 minutes with minimal effort!

16. Message #2096 of 2113 Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ I've heard of that! Man that Platinum slot looks lonely for my PSN trophies...not that you'd exactly stumble over the pile of Golds either...

I play until I'm done. I can't say at what point that'll be, because even with a game I really like, I can feel when it's time to move on. Like for anything I guess. Not a trophy collector, obviously. I think the only game I ever got 100% on was Journey, and it doesn't have a plat. These years the main limitation for me is the requirement for some or lots of online play to fulfill the plat requirements; for many games I've played, most of the trophies are for online play, which I don't really do much of.

17. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Bought Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D the other day for the 3DS. Seems like a very solid port/remaster of the Nintendo 64 classic so far.

For the first time since Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword in 2011, I'm up to date with the Zelda franchise until the Link's Awakening remake arrives later this year. I own every major retail release and remaster, as well as many of the Virtual Console rereleases.

I just don't own any of the crossover games with Dynasty Warriors that are branded as Hyrule Warriors, the three non-Nintendo CD-i games, the Game & Watch handheld, the Tingle themed spin-offs on the DS, or the multiplayer 3DS game Tri Force Heroes (I've heard it's a chore to play it solo).

I'd still like to get the regular Game Boy version of Link's Awakening someday (I just own the colorized DX version that's compatible on both the Game Boy and Game Boy Color) and I only own the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild. I'd also like to track down a gold cart of Ocarina of Time one of these days.

18. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    One of my best friends was up from Texas last week and left God of War and Mortal Kombat XL with me. I had not played either game before so I tried them both out this morning. Mortal Kombat XL is ok but God of War should have been titled God of Bore.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Clinton - that's an interesting take because the general consensus is that Mortal Kombat X was a high mark for the series (with 11 being called the best in the entire franchise by a lot of people) and God of War is probably one of the best games of this generation. How much did you play either of them?

I will acknowledge that God of War takes a bit of time to get going, but the sum total of the experience is fantastic.

Goosey likes this.
  20. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I played about an hour into the story mode of Mortal Kombat. I absolutely hate Quick Time Events and this is chock full of them during the long and boring cut scenes, of which I am also not a fan. I discovered I could skip some of the cut scenes which helps. The meat and potatoes of any fighting game like MK or Street Fighter is the 2-player mode, however, I’m playing by myself so it rates a ‘meh’.

God of War is just slow. The story is slow. The character moves slow, fighting is slow, there’s no jump other than running up to a hole and pressing O to leap over it. I gave up during the first troll encounter when I had to manage the kid firing arrows while slowly dodging (but mostly getting hit) and trying to hit the blasted thing with my axe. Everything about this game is a sum total of what I don’t like about games like this.