What are you listening to right now?

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Regina Spektor - The Call

... in remembrance of Dan Cho, a cellist acquaintance who often collaborated and toured w/ Ms. Spektor before passing away (so very young... leaving behind his young wife and then-baby daughter) during one of those tours 10 years ago today...

_Man_

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Frank Zappa - The Mothers 1970

disc one of unreleased studio recordings is fantastic.

disc 2 of live material is fantastic too, but the sound quality is a little rough since it's not really professionally recorded. About the best you will get for this era though.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
All those at once right now? :lol: ;)

_Man_
For a band with a large back catalog, I just rip all the audio cd discs to the computer and play all the wav tracks in random selection mode. Play it all day without hearing the same track being played more than once.

(Stuff like Rush, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Elvis, Alice Cooper, etc ...).

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
All those at once right now? :lol: ;)

_Man_
:laugh: No - that's this week, starting with Monday and going through the time I posted.
For a band with a large back catalog, I just rip all the audio cd discs to the computer and play all the wav tracks in random selection mode. Play it all day without hearing the same track being played more than once.

(Stuff like Rush, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Elvis, Alice Cooper, etc ...).
I ripped my collection (~1400 CDs) when I purchased a new car 3 years ago as it didn't have a CD option, just USB. I have the stuff I listen to most on several USB sticks and use those in the car - sometimes random, sometimes album at a time.

At work I've been using Spotify (free version) and pick stuff I have in my collection (~75% of the time) or sample things I think I might like to have or have never heard before. I've been quite surprised at some of the stuff hey have - bands I listen to somewhat regularly that many people have never heard of (some of them my age). When I found they had the album " Medusa" by Trapeze I was rather surprised (and they also have "You are the Music... We're Just the Band" which has a shot of an audience from a concert at the Memphis Overton Park Shell on the cover. It has a good shot of a friend on the front row looking somewhat bored - he said it was a good show. It's their last album before Glenn Hughes left to join Deep Purple).

1595007210955.png

Here's an example of random stuff - right now I'm listening to:
Roxy Music (Remastered)

I'd heard of Roxy Music but never listened to them (I must admit that the band's name was a complete turn off in the 70s) but got the "recommendation" from a "1001 albums you must hear before you die" site. I was looking for a few "new" things this morning and stumbled on that site so got a few recommendations from them. I'll be listening to a few others later today - mostly bands/people I've heard of but don't really recall hearing any of their songs (Nico, Jimmy Smith, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Electric Prunes, and a few others). I'm not too crazy about Roxy Music but at least I can now say I've heard some of their stuff.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here's an example of random stuff - right now I'm listening to:
Roxy Music (Remastered)

I'd heard of Roxy Music but never listened to them (I must admit that the band's name was a complete turn off in the 70s) but got the "recommendation" from a "1001 albums you must hear before you die" site. I was looking for a few "new" things this morning and stumbled on that site so got a few recommendations from them. I'll be listening to a few others later today - mostly bands/people I've heard of but don't really recall hearing any of their songs (Nico, Jimmy Smith, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Electric Prunes, and a few others). I'm not too crazy about Roxy Music but at least I can now say I've heard some of their stuff.
Not familiar w/ that album(?) cover/image for Roxy Music. I'm not a big fan, but did develop a fondness for their fairly popular Avalon album that a college buddy/roommate introduced to me back in the late 80's -- he was a big fan of Kate Bush, and he and a buddy or two introduced me to various other such (and to the audiophile hobby)... as I basically knew nothing other than a very limited range of pop music before college (largely because I was also still steeped in Hong Kong based immigrant culture).

Incidentally, we were finally supposed to get together again for our 30th anniversary college reunion up in Ithaca last month, but alas... Meanwhile, one of the kids from our college circle will finally join the legacy this coming Fall... Go Big Red!!! :lol: :cool:

_Man_

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not familiar w/ that album(?) cover/image for Roxy Music. I'm not a big fan, but did develop a fondness for their fairly popular Avalon album that a college buddy/roommate introduced to me back in the late 80's -- he was a big fan of Kate Bush, and he and a buddy or two introduced me to various other such (and to the audiophile hobby)... as I basically knew nothing other than a very limited range of pop music before college (largely because I was also still steeped in Hong Kong based immigrant culture).

Incidentally, we were finally supposed to get together again for our 30th anniversary college reunion up in Ithaca last month, but alas... Meanwhile, one of the kids from our college circle will finally join the legacy this coming Fall... Go Big Red!!! :lol: :cool:

_Man_
I think that's their first album - from 1972. While looking at what Spotify has of theirs this one jumped out:
Legends Live in Concert (Live in Denver, CO, April 17, 1979)

but...

I sampled "Avalon." Nope... I like it even less than their debut. It has that early 80s disco/pop sound with typical 80s production and instrumentation (the sound that screams "I was made in the 80s" so many artists had - even bands like Heart and The Stones).