What's new

What are you listening to right now? (4 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
upload_2018-5-13_18-43-23.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I recently completed my Jethro Tull collection by picking up a copy of "Under Wraps." So far I'm not feeling the love for this one. Too much "electronica" and drum machine to suit me. Right now I'd rank it dead last in their catalog.

Real Name
Yugo
Sadly, Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping"... but only because it's in the show I'm watching... but also I'm kind of grooving to it, so I might hate myself.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Not listening to anything as epic as some of you guys, but Just happened to catch this thread while listening to Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondells. Recently removed the vocals from this song and the backing music is great.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
51sQO9MvVeL._AC_US218_.jpg

King Crimson: Lark's Tongue in Aspic

It beats out "In the Court of the Crimson King" by half a hair - depending on the day. I could randomly select any of the trio of albums from this incarnation of the group and be quite happy with the choice.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I drive my granddaughters (8yo and 11yo) to school every day. The past 6 weeks they've been getting a taste of 70s pop/rock both good (mostly early-mid 70s):
upload_2019-2-9_10-18-34.jpeg

and bad (the mid-late 70s when disco reared its ugly head):
upload_2019-2-9_10-19-1.jpeg

We've gone through most of the series in the past 6 weeks with the non-specific-year based ones left:
listing_pic_1486877_1515781342.jpeg

Every time I listen to these I'm reminded of how much I dislike mid-late 70s pop.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I drive my granddaughters (8yo and 11yo) to school every day. The past 6 weeks they've been getting a taste of 70s pop/rock both good (mostly early-mid 70s):
View attachment 55092

and bad (the mid-late 70s when disco reared its ugly head):
View attachment 55093

We've gone through most of the series in the past 6 weeks with the non-specific-year based ones left:
listing_pic_1486877_1515781342.jpeg

Every time I listen to these I'm reminded of how much I dislike mid-late 70s pop.

I have that entire collection on CD as well.

I am a HUGE fan of the 1970s. That's the era I grew up in.

I do agree wholeheartedly that late 70s pop music is pretty bad. It either went disco or became mellow rock.

The best years, in my opinion, are 1972-1974. I especially love the black groups of that period (TSOP, Harold Melvin, The OJays, The Spinners).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have that entire collection on CD as well.

I am a HUGE fan of the 1970s. That's the era I grew up in.

I do agree wholeheartedly that late 70s pop music is pretty bad. It either went disco or became mellow rock.

The best years, in my opinion, are 1972-1974. I especially love the black groups of that period (TSOP, Harold Melvin, The OJays, The Spinners).
For me, the best years are 1970-1974. Once 1975 starts it seems like 50% or more of the songs are disco or mellow rock with the percentage rising as the decade progresses. By 1979 there are only 4 or 5 songs per disc I like. It helps that the non-year-specific discs are mostly full of good stuff.

A couple of the 8yo's favorites are "Vehicle" (Ides of March) and "Turn Back the Hands of Time" (Tyrone Davis). She has good taste. :)

Probably like you, I purchased that series one a disc a month via subscription. It had a "No questions asked guarantee. If you get a defective disc or one you just don't like you can call and send it back on us." I took advantage of that with the disc "Dance Fever." It came in, I looked at the title and the song list and gave them a call to return it. The guy asked "Why are you wanting to return this?" I replied "Well... you're supposed to have a no-questions-asked guarantee but... It's disco and there's already too much of that format already in the collection. I have no use for a disc full of it. FWIW, it's unopened and will be that way when you get it back." He laughed and said "I understand! Your return label is on its way." I also purchased it after they'd disconnected the disc "Celebration" from the series due to complaints it had too many songs from the 80s and didn't fit the theme.

About 3 years ago the fact that I had all of the set but the "Dance Fever" disc finally got to me and I purchased a used copy (for less than half the original price so that was good). I listened to it once to make sure it had no issues and stuck it on the shelf. It'll never receive another play by me unless one of the grandkids wants to hear it but I'll not tell them I have it to help avoid that situation.

I also have the TL sets "Classic Rock" (1964-1969) and "Superhits" (1962-1973). I'm toying with putting those into rotation after we're done with "Sounds of the 70s." They both have some really good stuff with my favorites falling in the ~1965-1974 years. Those 3 sets make up the bulk of my "singles" collections of oldies. I have a few random others covering those years, mostly to get a song or three not on one of the TL sets, and a few small collections of 50s rock/pop for the significant titles from those years.

Since my latest car has no CD player which forced me to rip all my CDs I'm finally making my own "Best of" compilations for the car from those sets to both eliminate duplication (and there's not that much) and so I don't have to skip songs I just don't like. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We finished the "Numbered years" of "Sounds of the 70s" and I decided it was time for a break. We moved on to a custom version of Bob Seger's Greatest Hits (where I include those which were "thoughtfully" left off):
815xKGCzEAL._AC_UL436_.jpg

1claire

Auditioning
Real Name
Claire
This song is amazing and gets better every time I listen to it and the music video is pretty cool too. The diner set is awesome, the dancing is on point, Cardi B looks gorgeous, and Bruno Mars is rocking that mustache.

I am looking forward to more collaborations between these two artists. This song will serve as a lullaby for my Yorkie as she cozily rest in her
dog bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks