what are you guys powering your 281's with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

I was planning on building a set vented and one sealed for center. Don't know what I need to power them with though. Was considering Outlaw 1050, new Onkyo 600 that's coming out, or Dennon 2802. I asked this question twice on hardware section w/no replys. I don't think they like DIYers or something. Anyways thanks!

2. I don't know how much these cost, but if they cost about the same, go with the outlaw. outlaw products give your more product for less money...which in this case translates to more product for the same amount of money.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

With over 90 dB sensitivity, they don't take a whole lot to get going. I used to have a Sony 935 receiver, and other than being a bit edgy, it had plenty of power to drive them. I now have a B&K 307 and it has mellowed them out nicely [​IMG].
    Pete

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

There is a guy driving 5 kit281 with an Onkyo 696 who is quite happy. The 696 has an impedance switch that allows it to be able to drive 4ohm loads without over heating. If the new 600 has this switch it should be fine, if it doesn't I don't know if I would be trying it.

I don't know if the 1050 is stable into 4ohms. You should email outlaw and see what they say about driving 4ohm speakers with the 1050.

I'm not sure if the 2802 can do 4ohm or not either, I'd email Denon about that one.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

If you can find a good price on a Sherwood Newcastle receiver (even an older one), they can drive a 4-ohm load all day long. I've heard several of them with the PSB Stratus Golds on numerous occasions and they perform quite well.

Brian

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I am using the Outlaw 1050 receiver and it seems to have plenty of power for the 281's.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

7. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

I have the Outlaw 1050 and a pair of vented 281s and I can easily get the 281s to the point where they are too loud for me to take.
    The one thing I can say about the pair together that at very high levels there was no distortion that I could tell. Very clear. The 65 watts the Outlaw puts out is *more* than enough for 281s - trust me. [​IMG]
    Jacques

8. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

No 281s here, but I am using a Denon 2800 to drive 4 ohm Klipsch kg4s with no problems- I asked the same question before I bought it and was assured that the Denon was stable into 4 ohms. (Love the recvr, BTW)

Markd

9. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I asked Onkyo about the TX-DS777 that I own and it's ability to drive 4ohm loads and I got this response from them:

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I've got my 281s running off a used Audiosource Amp One (80 watts). I don't think I'm getting the full 'slam' and clean power I should be (I'm getting the impression that these speakers, which have impedance as low as 2.8[?] ohms, need a solid amplifier to work best. Mine isn't bad for $175 though.) However, the sound is nice and smooth with a very good soundstage. My amp does get very warm after loud playing though. Frankly, I think any well-made amp (even inside a receiver) should survive blasting the 281s. But you never know.

I think most receivers would be OK, but there would be an improvement moving to a good separate amp. If you're constrained by money I don't think a dedicated amp is a must.

11. EricMa

EricMa Extra

I have been powering a pair of 281s with a Denon AVR-1800. I have had no problems, and there is enough volume. I have good air space around my reciever, and it never gets hot. I listen to movies at pretty high volumes powering the kit 281s and the rest of my 8ohm speakers and I have never had any problems. If you don't listem to multi channel music at high volume for extended time, I think most decent quality recievers will be fine. I have no concerns about using my reciever as loud or as long as I like. I have been very happy with my Denon, but I have heard of newer models that tend to run hot. With good ventilation there should be no problem.