What's new

What are you anticipating for 2003? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NOTE: This isn't intended as a poll, but to generate some genuine discussion on the exciting year ahead of us.
And with that said, I will defy it and post my list of top ten:)
  1. Jersey Girl
    This is by far my most anticipated film of the year. Chasing Amy was perhaps his greatest flick, emotionally charged... it zings around from the dramatic to the comedic effortlessly. Perhaps the lowest point was the cinematography. Now, after the wonderful low-brow Jay and Silent Bob, he's ready to release another dramedy on the world. With the competent Vilmos Zsigmond lensing the flick, we should have the best looking Smith flick to date. And the family themes explored are interesting to me, and I'm eager to see his take on them. I know very little about the flick, and that makes me anticipate it all the more.
  2. Kill Bill
    Having never seen Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, or Reservoir Dogs, I can't say that I've fallen under Tarantino's spell. But everything about the trailer for this flick just kicked my ass. The music, the editing, the urban samurai fighting shit. This looks like a blast.
  3. Return of the King
    The Two Towers was a disappointment for me... but only because Fellowship of the Ring had been such a completely marvelous success. Even as a disappointment, the scope and epic scale of it cannot be denied. I got goose bumps several times. And some of the stuff that I missed from this film is promised to be in ROTK. Combined, I have little doubt that the Lord of the Rings will be the most impressive work of fantasy in cinema history. I can't wait to see how Jackson and Co. end it all.
  4. Matrix Reloaded/Matrix Revolutions
    While I wasn't as taken with the original as some people were, I still thought it was a kick ass action flick. And with all the buzz I've heard on these flicks along with the kick ass teaser trailer, I expect them to deliver a seriously entertaining ride.
  5. Once Upon a Time in Mexico
    Robert Rodriguez is my idol, I just dig the shit he does. The third and final chapter of his El Mariachi Trilogy of films, and I doubt I'm the only one looking forward to the machine gun in guitar case-toting El Mariachi's return. It will be very interesting indeed to see how Rodriguez handles slow mo with the Sony 24P high-def cameras.
  6. Seabiscuit
    Filmed partially at the nearby historic Saratoga race track, it tells the tale of the horse Seabiscuit, circa 1938. Its owner had no previous noteworthy thoroughbreds, its trainer had never created a spectacular success, and its jockey had been on a downward slide. And the 1938 match race between Seabiscuit and Triple Crown winner War Admiral at Pimlico Race Course in Maryland, which many horse racing enthusiasts still consider to be the best race of all time. From the director of Pleasantville, Gary Ross, and featuring an all-star cast including Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges, and William H. Macy. The trailer played the hope in a time of despair card very well. I expect good things.
  7. Daredevil
    Starring Ben Affleck in the title role, it is an adaptation of the comic about a blind man who works as a lawyer by day and a costumed vigilante by night. Written and Directed by Mark Steven Johnson of Simon Birch fame, he seems at face value to be an ill-conceived choice. But in all the interviews, he's come across as a genuine fan boy and all his casting choices (except perhaps Affleck in the title role) have suited the characters over signing big name talent. I'm a bit wary about whether or not he can pull off the action set pieces, but I like everything I've seen so far.
  8. Hulk
    Stars Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly. Directed by Ang Lee. Another Marvel Comics adaptation, this one about a scientist with a mean, green Jekyll/Hyde complex when someone pisses him off. The teaser was good, and the talent is top notch. The only thing that keeps this so low on my list is all the rumoured problems during production, and the fact they've been having serious problems with the CG Hulk. A commercial revealing all is scheduled to run during the super bowl. We'll see then.
  9. Holes
    Screenplay by Louis Sachar, adapting his own award-winning children's novel. It's the story, more or less, of "A warden at a juvinile detention center has children dig large holes, claiming it builds character, but is really looking for a legendary hidden treasure," at least if you trust IMDB. I've heard good things about the book, and it seems sort of quirky. There's also some favorites of mine involved... Sigourney Weaver, Jon Voight, and Henry Winkler. I'm tracking this one with increasing curiosity.
  10. TimelineDirected by one of my all time favorites, Richard Donner, it's an adaptation of Michael Crichton's novel. Essentially a time travel flick set in the Middle Ages, it looks like a rush. It also reteams Donner with Jerry Goldsmith for the first time since The Omen.[/list=1]

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
DREAMCATCHER is by far my most anticipated as the book is one of King's best, Morgan Freeman and Tom Sizemore are two of my favorite actors, and the film's trailer looks spectacular, and shows that they probably did the novel justice!
I am also looking forward to the following:
UNDERWORLD- My second most anticipated film!!! How could I not want to see a werewolf and vampire take on ROMEO AND JULIET? And the totally gorgeous Kate Beckinsale is in it at that!
THE CORE- This film looks quite thrilling from its trailer. I love these types of movies, and I'll be first in line.
DARKNESS- Jaume Balaguero directed the new horror classic from Spain, THE NAMELESS, and this film sounds just as great, if not better! I'm sure he won't let me down, and this film looks very creepy, and also has the lovely Lena Olin. Can't wait!
FREDDY VS. JASON- Two of the biggest horror icons ever finally going head to head! I hope they don't fuck it up, and I don't like that Kane Hodder has been replaced, but how can I not be looking forward to this?! It will be a spectacle!
CABIN FEVER- This intense film has some great early buzz and is strongly being hailed as the next EVIL DEAD! I'm all over this one!
JEEPERS CREEPERS 2- |I absolutely adored the original, and I think the sequel may turn out even better. From what I've heard from one of my sources, it will be awesome!
FINAL DESTINATION 2- I loved the original here as well, and the trailer for this sequel makes my mouth water! The crash scene looks stellar, and I'm sure this film will be worth my dough!
PHONE BOOTH- I love this film's premise, and I love Radha Mitchell! Nuff' said!
THE HULK- Another of my favorite superheroes hits the screen, and with the 100% gorgeous Jennifer Connelly to boot! Hope it lives up to SPIDER-MAN, and I'm betting it will.
MAY- Reviews I've read of this new horror film make it sound right up my alley, and this may be one of this year's biggest horror sleepers! Sucks what happened to its poster though.
THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT- Very creepy looking film, and you know I love horror, so of course I'm there!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Dreamcatcher
Tears of the Son
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

And maybe...
Kill Bill
Phone Booth

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I've read Holes , it's quite an intriguing book. I didn't really think of it as a book that would translate onto the screen, but it should be interesting. Some good possibilities for stunning cinematograhpy due to the location.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Having not read Holes--I listened to the unabridged audio book--I can say that the story should translate well to the screen if done properly, the most difficult part will be transitioning between the late 1800s and modern day, I think those can be done fairly easily as well, but I don't doubt that this is where the film could easily loose its footing, especially if the script is pushed into something resembling a linear hollywood formula. as to:
It's the story, more or less, of "A warden at a juvinile detention center has children dig large holes, claiming it builds character, but is really looking for a legendary hidden treasure
That's not only wrong, but its quite a spoiler as well (for the book, and only for smaller kids, most people pick up that they're looking for Kissin Kate Barlow's treasure in the first parts of the book) THat happens to be the premise of the book, and has nothing to do with the story. however describing the actual story is somewhat difficult, as hard as it is to relate peaches and onions.
Holes is certainly one of my more anticipated films of 2003. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In roughly chronological order:
Darkness Falls - Emma Caulfield hasn't quite been carrying Buffy for the past year and a half, but she's been the best reason to tune in, and though I'd rather see her first feature lead be a comedy, I'm there anyway. It does look kind of creepy and the talk doesn't have a stink to it.
Shanghai Knights - The delays worry me, but the trailer makes me laugh hard. Wilson & Chan seperate are great, and I liked Noon a lot.
Daredevil - Not traditionally one of my favorite superheroes, but it looks like Marvel has a plan: Good cast, stay true to the book, get a director who loves and respects the material.
Identity - John Cusack makes good choices, and I'll watch anything with a Jack & Jill cast member.
Shaolin Soccer - Yeah, it'll be dubbed and cut. I'll take what I can get, having liked the trailer.
Anger Management - You know, I like the idea of Adam Sandler as a straight man.
Bulletproof Monk - Heh. Just the idea of Chow Yun-Fat as a superhero called "Bulletproof Monk" makes me giggle.
It Runs In The Family - Douglas-mania. And, it looks like Michael is in a Wonder Boys-like mode here.
Matrix 2 & 3 - Cautiously. I didn't love the first like some, and they offed the best actor (Joey Pants). I feel like I'm letting all the other geeks down, not being psyched for these or LOTR.
In America - I love immigrant stories (my dream movie is a Spielberg-directed Bruce Campbell sci-fi immigrant story), and despite the number of times I've seen this trailer in the last month, it gets me. Jim Sheridan may have produced something really special here.
Finding Nemo - Pixar? Sold.
The Hulk - Can't he be Incredible? Please? Anyway, Marvel's got the same game plan here as with Spider-Man and Daredevil, and somehow got Ang Lee to direct it.
T3 - Morbid curiosity.
League Of Extraordinary Gentlement - A great, great, GREAT comic. The rumors on this terrify me, but I figure such cool source material can't be totally destroyed.
Garage Days - Alex Proyas's latest, which I've heard is just as visually striking as The Crow and Dark City despite the much more down-to-earth subject matter.
Spy Kids 3 - Rodriguez has to work quick to avoid making Spy Teens, but nobody works quick better. The first two are great fun.
Marci X - Been in the can a while (and has an August dumping date), but Lisa Kudrow involved with gangsta rap is too funny a concept.
Kill Bill - Best trailer I've seen in quite some time. This is going to be fun, fun, fun, and I hate having to wait until October for it.
The Whole Ten Yards - The first was an improbable success. This will probably be an Analyze That-style disaster, but lightning can occasionally strike twice.
Looney Tunes: Back In Action - Joe Dante gets to direct Bugs, Daffy, Brendan Fraser, and Steve Martin? With almost anyone else, I'd expect lame corporate product, but in Dante's hands, genius is possible.
Once Upon A Time In Mexico - More Rodriguez goodness. Why must they torture us so by making us wait?
Return Of The King - And then, it'll be over.
Phone Booth - Will the good Joel Schumacher or the evil one show up?
Jackie Chan & Jet Li - No title reported yet, but I have a physical need for this.
... and, hopefully, an IMAX Aladdin for Christmas.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Shaolin Soccer - Yeah, it'll be dubbed and cut. I'll take what I can get, having liked the trailer.
You don't have to stand for Miramax's butchered version. There is an R0 NTSC version available in Hong Kong.
non US e-tailers
The films I'm looking forward to are:
Dogville: I just can't get enough from LvT. And with Nicole Kidman in the lead, it should do reasonably good business.
Ablecain: Alejandro Jodorowsky's first film in thirteen years. Staring the director and Marilyn Manson.:eek:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: If the title doesn't draw you in, the fact that Charlie Kaufman wrote sure as hell will!
And, of course, The Return of the King and Kill Bill.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What are you anticipating for 2003?
Victoria Secret models in lingerie and sacks full of money.
:D
Seriously, in no particular order
The Hulk
The Matrix 2&3
Freddy vs. Jason
Return of the King
X-Men 2
Kill Bill
Jersey Girl
Finding Nemo
Those are the only ones I can think off the top of my head at the moment. I'll update the list as I go.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Pretty much all of the stuff mentioned so far, as well as Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey back in a comedy role! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Every year it seems that I anticipate less at the theater. This year is no exception.

The only two films that come to my mind that I can't wait to see are:

The Hulk
Lord of the Rings: Return of The King

At one time, Jason VS Freddy...but with the casting change of my man Jason, I really could care less about this film. I will only be seeing the movie to be a purist to the series and to rightfully know what I have to bitch about it for.

What I do look forward on the straight to video market, pending it is the quality of the original is Stitch! The Movie. Love that little guy...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't have to stand for Miramax's butchered version. There is an R0 NTSC version available in Hong Kong.
That's just video, though, and I don't think Shaolin Soccer would be nearly as much fun without a crowd.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Lots of the ones that have already been mentioned, in order of release:

Daredevil - I am a Marvel fanboy, so I dig superheros, and the rest of the cast is really outweighing the whole Ben Affleck thing.

X-Men 2 - Again with the Marvel superheroes

Matrix Reloaded - Well, who's not looking forward to this

Hulk - Marvel character, Ang Lee, Jennifer Connelly, etc, etc.

T3 - Yeah, I gotta go with the morbid curiosity thing too.

League of Extrodinary Gentlemen - never read the book, but I like to see any good comic adaptation.

Matrix Revolutions & Return of the King - two of the best trilogies since that other trilogy get wrapped up within just a coulple of months of each other.

I am sure a lot of others will catch my attention before the years over, but these are the ones that I have been following all through their productions.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dogville
Dogville
Dogville
Dogville
Kill Bill
Return Of The King
Ablecain
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Bulletproof Monk
Also Takeshi Kitano's new movie would rank right after Return of the King if I could remember the name of it.
If the Coen's have a movie for 2003 that will also be near the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks