What are training sneakers? Your opinion on these....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    A friend at work just bought Nike Shox sneakers
    which she wears throughout the day.

She loves the sneakers, touting how comfortable
    they are. In fact, she talked about it so much
    that she coaxed me into buying a pair.

Footlocker was running a sale and I had a 30% off
    coupon to boot so I figured "What the heck!"

I went online and tried to find the men's sneaker
    most closely matched to what she was wearing.

I found Nike Shox 45 and ordered a pair.

Looking at these sneakers again I am not sure what I bought.

Are these running shoes or trainers? And what exactly
    are trainers?

I just want a very comfortable sneaker to wear at my day
    job to reduce the stress of the concrete floor.

Will these sneakers do the trick?

...and explain the TRAINERS thing. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

They're like regular sneakers, but with tiny wheels at the back. [​IMG]

(Come on. You were all thinking this. [​IMG])

Sorry, no actual help on the product. Just stopped by the for cheap joke. [​IMG]

Joe

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

"training" sneakers are just supposed to provide more support for the arch in your foot, and possibly your ankle, for when you're running and stuff. I'm sure they'll be comfortable, but I always wear NewBalance shoes. The shox should provide a good feel on your foot though since they're meant to absorb impact of running.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Kyle,

I take it they are fine wearing just for normal
    wear and use day to day?

In another words -- use as a regular sneaker?

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya, they're perfectly fine. I would most likely be wearing a pair except for the fact I have a really wide foot! I used to wear the Air Max shoes from Nike, and tried the shox when they came out...they felt great but just squeezed my foot too much.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

In this context, the Shox are running shoes, but for training for runners who compete, and would wear a different shoe on race day. The "shox" help in dealing with the shock of training for races. And obviously, "Shox" would be good for the casual runner, but they might not be that great for just walking around while at work, though.

I would have a hard time ordering shoe online unless I already tried them out at a store and knew what size would fit my feet. I hate trying on shoes to find the ones that actually fit and feel good on my feet. It's an all-afternoon ordeal for me, so I loathe this aspect of replacing shoes.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Patrick,

So this shoe (in the link) would not be
    recommended for normal everyday wear?

I usually buy my shoes online with no
    problems as I know my size.

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I'm no expert, but a training shoe used to be called a "cross-training" shoe. My understanding is this:

There are two types of shoes. Running shoes, which have a lot of flex in them to allow the movement of the foot as it hits the ground, transfers weight, and lifts off the ground as you're running.

A cross trainer has more support all around the shoe, with a wide base for stability, and more durability and I believe is designed for multitude of activities, in the gym. It's supposed to be the best all around shoe for gym activities, aerobics, running, weight lifting, tennis, etc.

I'd go with a "training shoe" over a "running shoe" for day to day wear, Ron.

btw, I wear New Balance, and recommend them over anything else. Nike's are way way too skinny for my feet, and I don't have wide feat. New Balance specifically makes their shoes for different foot types, whether you have narrow or wide (I wear regular), over or under pronate, I think they are more comfortable than the Nike's in almost every respect, don't have too much plastic on the shoes as Nike and some other brands have. Great shoes. Give them a try. I bought a pair about a year and a half ago, and will never go back.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
  10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I've recently purchased a pair-- my feet differ by a full size, and the kind folks at my local shoe store offered a mismatched pair for 50% off. Exactly what I needed.
    They sort of give a bounce to one's step. Helpful, I suppose, for running, though perhaps my experience has been colored more by a good fit than by the "pistons".

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Jeremy and all,

Just trying to find out..simply...can these
    shoes be worn like sneakers for everyday use?

Thanks

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

That's what I use them for.

13. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've been buying cross trainers for everyday use since they invented them. I was a Nike person and switched to New Balence 4 or 5 years ago. I find New Balence to be much more comfortable.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    i know many people who wear Shox for everyday use. its totally fine. im not a fan of nike stuff, but from what i hear, the shox are very very comfortable for day to day use

15. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

Ronald I think you should be fine with those shoes for normal everyday use. Those particular shoes have slightly shorter shox on them than the actual running type ones I wear so they should be a bit softer for you. I wear my nike shox as everyday shoes and they are fine, but I must warn you that if you are on your feet constantly for most of the day there might be better options. I'm fairly active and usually put a beating on my feet so thats why I choose the shox. It really comes down to person preference, and I also HIGHLY recommend trying on shoes before buying. I find that different shox models fit and are sized differently.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Nick and Bradley,

Thank You. EXACTLY the information
    I needed.

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Ron,
    I can't wear Nikes due to my narrow foot. I wear Saucony which is a running shoe and to me the most comfortable shoe on the market.

The Shoe I own

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Everybody's feet are different, so it's important to try on the shoes before buying them because sizes can vary among shoe makers. I have wide feet, so I can wear 9 4E width, or up to 10.5 normal width depending on who makes the shoe.

To me, recent New Balance shoes feel bad to my feet as I walk around in them in the store. I've bought New Balance in the past (due to width sizing), but decided to go with Reebok this time around, especially since I found some in 4E widths which are comfortable to my feet. This is why I spend a long time trying on shoes in the store to make sure I can stand to wear them for long periods of time.

I usually wear tennis shoes (for the hard court durable outer soles) for my walk-about shoes because they last longer. When I went looking for shoes last month, it was really hard to find tennis shoes, I was faced with walking shoes, running shoes, and basketball shoes, with a smattering of cross-training shoes. I settled for the cross-training shoes for my walk-about shoes.

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I tried some of the shox running models today. The most comfortable pair was the $150 model, but they looked awful.

The ones with the shox only in the heel had an odd fit for me. Ended up picking up my first pair of Air Max in a very long time called the "Air Max Solas." If you're looking for comfort I would recommend Asics or New Balance too as these are always comfortable for my feet. They're a little wider than the Nike models.