What are those annoying black specks ???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SeanA, Jun 7, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I was watching the new James Bond movie (Boy, Halle looks good!) and I noticed an unusual amount of those black specks popping up on the picture, and a few white specks too. Maybe the black specks were just more noticeable than usual because much of the movie was shot with ice and snow as the backdrop. A couple of times when I saw a black speck flash on the screen, I stopped the DVD, reversed it, and played it in slow forward. Sure enough, the black speck would show up in slow forward too.

I was just wondering... Are these defects in the original film or DVD, or is it a defect of my DVD player ??? And do these "specks" have a more formal name ??? I know you see this stuff pop up all the time on a theater screen, but I always assumed they were due to dust particles in the film projector.

2. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

I think it is dirt/dust on the actual film used for the transfer to DVD media... i see it a lot on intro logos, older movies. I actually like to see it, adds somewhat of a "movie going' experience.

Kimo B.