What are these darn VCACHE errors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Does anyone know why I get the blue screen of death with a mixture of VCACHE and VXD errors? My cpu is basically bordering useless as I can hardly use it with all the errors.

I've reformatted and installed my "HP Recovery Disk" about 15 times in 4 days... nothing helps. I always get errors and even though Norton is finding errors and fixing them, they keep coming back... does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

What OS are you using? What hardware are you using? A little more info will help us diagnose your problem better. If errors keep popping up, sounds like you might have a bad HD...

3. Rob Varto

Im running Win 98 SE with a Quantum Fireball 20GB Hard drive. The cpu is a PIII 600 Mhz with 256 MB RAM.

Ive tried to install XP but I was getting all sorts of errors. How does one tell if the HD has gone bad?

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, IBM drives have a type of scan disk that you can boot from floppy, but I'm not sure Quantum has anything like this. Check their site. It does sound like you may have a bad HD with all the problems you've been having.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You can try running the demo of this to check your HD.
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/
    Could be a flaky memory problem too. If your 256MB is 2 sticks of 128 or something try pulling one to see if it's a problem. If the same thing happens, switch.

6. Rob Varto

well guys, I ran the program Brian had linked and my cpu failed at the first test: "System Memory".

Im not exactly sure what that means... not sure if that means my RAM or HD but the software said "locate the inoperable hardware and repair it". I was hoping it would tell me what that hardware was... but at least I know somethings wrong.