1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are these darn VCACHE errors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Does anyone know why I get the blue screen of death with a mixture of VCACHE and VXD errors? My cpu is basically bordering useless as I can hardly use it with all the errors.

I've reformatted and installed my "HP Recovery Disk" about 15 times in 4 days... nothing helps. I always get errors and even though Norton is finding errors and fixing them, they keep coming back... does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

What OS are you using? What hardware are you using? A little more info will help us diagnose your problem better. If errors keep popping up, sounds like you might have a bad HD...

3. Rob Varto

Im running Win 98 SE with a Quantum Fireball 20GB Hard drive. The cpu is a PIII 600 Mhz with 256 MB RAM.

Ive tried to install XP but I was getting all sorts of errors. How does one tell if the HD has gone bad?

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, IBM drives have a type of scan disk that you can boot from floppy, but I'm not sure Quantum has anything like this. Check their site. It does sound like you may have a bad HD with all the problems you've been having.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You can try running the demo of this to check your HD.
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/
    Could be a flaky memory problem too. If your 256MB is 2 sticks of 128 or something try pulling one to see if it's a problem. If the same thing happens, switch.

6. Rob Varto

well guys, I ran the program Brian had linked and my cpu failed at the first test: "System Memory".

Im not exactly sure what that means... not sure if that means my RAM or HD but the software said "locate the inoperable hardware and repair it". I was hoping it would tell me what that hardware was... but at least I know somethings wrong.