What are the top-paying jobs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

I am still in high school right now but I want to decide on what I am going to do later on in life. I am good with computers and I like Biology.

My mom really wants me to become a doctor. She says that is a very rewarding profession and also pays big bucks.

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

In one of my classes, my teacher told me the top three paying jobs are 1) physician/surgeon (avg $136K 2) dentist (avg $124K) 3) podiatrist (avg $109K)

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Do you think Biological Engineering is a good field?

4. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Attorney. You can start, right out of law school, at $125k per year, with up to a 20% bonus ($25k) on top of that. Assuming you go straight through 4 years of college and 3 of law school, you can be 25 years old, and make $150k in your first year of work. [​IMG]
    Not all attorney jobs pay that, but if you're smart enough, you can land one.
    And, there's all types of law to practice. You like bio, find an area of law involving bio.
    -Erik

5. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I would recommend that you consider the following as you wind your way towards a career:

1) What am I good at?
    2) What do I enjoy doing? (can you make a living doing that... legally???)
    3) What is the earning potential? Can this support me/spouse/family in a lifestyle I'm satisfied with?

Speaking from experience nothing is worse than having a job you despise. Waking up day after day with a feeling of dread is not good for you!

Being a physician can be a very rewarding experience. (BTW, I'm not a doctor, but my wife is.) However, before docs begin to earn the "big bucks" they go through nearly a decade (sometimes more) of additional schooling, residency and possibly fellowships. This is in addition to a four year university degree. Many, if not most, take on major debt to pay for their schooling. Med school students and residents make major sacrifices in their personal lives to allow for time to study, be on call, etc.

The best thing you can do is be honest with yourself. Don't make your decision based strictly on earning potential!

6. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Dennis Reno,

I think the subject that I understand best is Biology. I find it interesting too, and so I thought that becoming a doctor would be best for me.

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

If biology is what you are interested in, there are a number of fields that use it. I work in a Cell Biology department that just does research for instance. Full university professors where I work easily top 100K a year. While a medical doctor is one path, you can also move into pure research path, or teaching, or pharmaceutical development. Our school even has an M.D./Ph.D path where you get your medical degree and a science Ph.D. simultaneously.

Your high school should have various career exams which can give you a very good idea what sort of field you might wish to pursue based on your interests.

However don't limit yourself just because you are starting college. The core curricullum (first two years) only is often the same among different degrees, and it should be easy to change majors if you change your mind those first two years. Use those years to meet other people and talk to others and get an idea of what other jobs are out there that you might be interested in.

8. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Beware the biology bug. I liked it and actually majored in it in College but currently work in the IT field. Biology can open up a lot of career paths but only if you go on for a masters or better yet a phD. If I had a dollar for every Bio major I've met that isn't working in that field I'd be a rich man, well not exactly but you get the picture.

Yes being a doctor pays fairly well but the salary figures you see don't include the skyrocketing cost of malpractice insurance plus the 100k + you'll accrue in student loans. That being said medicine is a good field over the long haul.

Now if you want a career that pays very well go to school and major in any scientific or engineering discipline then go to a Top tier Law School to become a patent attorney. My wife works as an accountant for a big firm and first year attorneys right out of law school make 125k+ to start. Not bad for someone in their mid 20's.

Another good field is Engineering in general. Depending on the specialty you can make a very good salary.

Jeff

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Haris,

If you enjoy biology then by all means continue to pursue that area of interest. My wife loves her job, no doubt about it. But it was a long and sometimes tedious road to travel. If you are willing to make the necessary sacrifices and keep abreast of the current climate (such as the aforementioned skyrocketing malpractice insurance) being a physician can be a fantastic career!

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Forget money. I've worked jobs where I've made a ton of money, but hated every second. Now I do the same work (unix systems administrator), for less money at a place that I like, and am a very happy person. Worry more about finding something that you like to do, and a place that you like working at. You'll be spending a good portion of your life there.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Hope I'm not too political here, but does anyone else find it a bit ironic that the top paying jobs are those that depend on other people's misfortune? [​IMG]

12. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Well what does a rocket scientist make?

13. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'm another biology-turned-IT person. I loved biology and wanted to be a doctor. After finishing up my bachelors and working in a cancer research lab, I hated it. Basically, unless you get your PhD you're not going to make much money. I was also into computers so I pursued that instead. I'm now working in IT and haven't looked back since.

My advice: don't worry about money. Money will always get you so far and as they say, money can't buy happiness. If you hate what you're doing, no amount of money will make up for that. Just go after what you're interested in and the rest will fall into place.

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I gotta agree with that. Look at some of the top earners, they work all the time, because they like their job, be it selling dish detergent on TV or act.

The big problem for me has always been figuring out what I'm really interested in... most interests come and go.

15. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Don't worry about the money side of life right now, you're WAY to young to be dealing with that. For every so called "easy" buck profession like being a doctor or lawyer there are the downsides. Almost every profession will have big wage earners and it won't. Even area's that you normally think of as "blue collar" can be an area where there is a lot of money to be made such as construction or being a plumber, etc.
    Like in the doctors case having a HUGE amount of debt right out of school and making dirt while doing redidency and such. You won't start making big bucks until you specialize in something or open your own practice (or a combo of both obviously). Although if you are the type that likes to help people, yet can also seperate some of the emotional side of it, then medicine can be a hugely rewarding field and providing you are good at it will provide a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family in the future.
    Lawyers, yes if you are REALLY good you can earn big bucks right out of school, but that's going to be set for the top 1-2% of your class are going that way, the rest are going to starve for awhile. Average salary out of law school is not going to be anywhere near 6 figures. But you have the same problems, you are going to have to deal with big school debt for it.

Andrew

16. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Knowing people who have gotten burnt by going the pure Biology route, I would recommend going for Biological Engineering. Getting a degree in this field, should give you more job security in the future compared to those with just a strict Biology degree. Biological Engineering will no doubt be a harder four year degree compared to one in Biology, but would be well worth it in my opinion. Remember, there is always a chance you will not get into med school, then at that point your degree in pure Biology can kind of hand tie you with job availability.

J

17. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

but does anyone else find it a bit ironic that the top paying jobs are those that depend on other people's misfortune?

Personally I hope that a pilot's job depends on PREVENTING my misfortune. [​IMG] Top international pilots can make up to $140K

18. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

Consider Pharmacy. The current curriculum is 6 years, you graduate with a PharmD. degree (Doctor of Pharmacy). Starting salaries are in the $80K's. There are a lot of places you can go as well: retail, hospital, consulting, research, etc. People will always need medicine.

19. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks.

However, I didn't mean that I was going "only Biology." I just said that it interested me. I am also quite good in Physics, but better at Biology.

I am willing to put down the effort and work hard as long as I know it will pay off.

Secondly, I have a number of relatives that are doctors. One of my relatives has made millions, yes millions of dollars as a doctor. Just to give you an idea of how rich SHE is, yes, it is a she, she lost $3 million on the stock market and didn't even care!

20. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

More than twice that actually, but only after at least 20 years or so in the profession. Add to that the many years of flying for slave wages to build time and the uncertainty of the profession, and it never does get that rosy for many who get into it as the odds are pretty long. You have to really love flying, otherwise the journey to the top will eat you alive.