What's new

What are the sonic differences between… (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably not much. The Sub 1 has six 8" drivers. Without knowing the Sd (piston area) of each driver, I can only estimate that combined they have the Sd as a 21" driver. The down side is that a 8" frame limits xmax (maximum excursion) and 8" drivers will have a higher Fs (resonant frequency) which will limit both SPL and low bass.
The DD 18" has less Sd but an 18" frame has more xmax.
In a properly calibrated system, I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference in blind listening tests.
I know you have posted some quick, extremely general questions but can you give us some more information to work on? If you are blindly asking about different subs, why not include the internet direct models as options? I suggested a few in your other thread.

upacreekk

Grip
Real Name
Kent
I kept my questions general because I wanted a full range of responses. (But, regardless of the forum involved, I get tired of the responses which begin with: “It depends…” or “I have not tried it, but… ”.) I already have an Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Velodyne DD 18 (2007) for $1,700 or purchase a new Paradigm Sub 1 for about $2,200. This conundrum is a matter of opportunity.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
upacreekk said:
I get tired of the responses which begin with: “It depends…” or “I have not tried it, but… ”.)
A sub's response depends a lot on the room it is in. That's why there is never a concrete answer. Also, at this price very few people have owned more than one high end sub.
I haven't auditioned any high end subs. None. I take a scientific approach to building my own. I look at the specs. I test locations in the room. I measure the frequency response and max SPL output. My DIY sub can easily reach minimum Dolby and THX specifications without only one 15" driver running. Good thing I built dual 15's.

upacreekk

Grip
Real Name
Kent
Here is my equipment:
Pre-Pro: Anthem AVM 50V
Amplifier: Anthem PVA 7
Center: Paradigm CC570 v.3
Fronts: Paradigm Studio 40 v.2
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-590 v.1
Rears: Paradigm Studio 20 v.4
Subwoofer 1: Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s
Subwoofer 2: Paradigm PS-1000
Subwoofer 3 (new, unopened, not in use): Def. Tech. Supercube 4000
Source Blu-ray player: Oppo BDP 95
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE4000U
Power management: PS Audio Power Plant Premiere AC Regenerator
I have a vaulted living/dining room that is 24’ long and 15’ wide. The screen is at the front (8’ end) of the room and the listening position is about 12’ away, with the remaining 12’ behind the seated area. The vault is 16’ high, at the back of the room, behind the seating area. The floors are hardwood and the walls are sheetrock. We have two sofas, two bookcases, a table, a buffet and some things on the walls. The main use of the HT system is for movies. The sound, especially the dialogue, is not as clear as I would like (i.e., not as clear as the theater I built in the basement of my old house). I have an opportunity to get a subwoofer at a great price: A used, 2007 Velodyne DD 18 (with room correction) for $1,700, or a new Paradigm Sub 1 for about $2,200. In reality, most of the problems with the sound are due to the acoustics of the room, but who can pass up a deal like this for one (or both) of these subwoofers?

upacreekk

Grip
Real Name
Kent
More... The front, right half of the room opens on one side with a ½-high wall to a closed hallway, and the back, right half of the room opens to another hallway and also to a second open area to a den. Basically, the back half of the room - with the vault - is open.
The CC is directly in front of the seating position and is tilted up about 30 degrees to aim directly at the listeners’ ear. The CC, fronts and Infinity sub are on a similar line facing the seating area, with nothing in between them and us. There is a large rug on the floor between all the speakers (including the CC) and the seating area.
The suggestion of buying one Sub 1 now and getting a second one later is a good idea. I like having two subs and having them matched will probably improve what I am hearing/feeling.
The last issue, that I didn’t want to muddy the waters with, is that we will probably be moving in 6 to 12 months. Unfortunately, we don’t know where we are going. But at least, we will be taking our HT equipment with us (again :)

upacreekk

Grip
Real Name
Kent
Jason - The related thread: " What subs do you think will pair up best?" at -- http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323797/what-subs-do-you-think-will-pair-up-best -- has been moved to this thread.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton /t/323865/what-are-the-sonic-differences-between#post_3979794
Can we try and stick to one thread?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323797/what-subs-do-you-think-will-pair-up-best#post_3979788
Jason - The related thread: " What subs do you think will pair up best?" at -- http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323797/what-subs-do-you-think-will-pair-up-best -- has been moved to this thread.

I locked the other thread as I saw no easy way to combine them.

Kent: Please keep the discussions on the same subject limited to a single thread. Otherwise, confusion spirals out-of-hand quickly (as has happened here).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks