What's new

What are the reasons for certain shows being released on dvd?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am curious as to what the studios look at in deciding what tv shows they release. My example is FOX. I understand why they are releasing "24". They were trying to recoup money spent on the show and to try to pull in new viewers. But, why "Malcolm in the Middle" and not say "Married with Children"? Now, I don't care which one is released. But, I figured that Married would have a bigger following. I just wonder if newer syndication deals are allowing studios to release shows on dvd before they are fully aired in syndication? If true then maybe we can expect more shows to be released after one season or when the shows are finished.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, first, there's a difference between "Made by Fox (Twentieth Television)" and "Running on Fox (Fox Broadcasting Corp)". "Married With Children" ran on Fox, but was actually produced by Columbia/Tri-Star, so that one would be Sony's call.

As for "why 'Malcolm'", it's very popular, still sort of a "new release" vs. catalog (with a few exceptions, digging into the archives doesn't lead to big sales), and began production after Fox started the box set paradigm, so the contracts with producers and other talent might be structured to facilitate it better.

And it doesn't hurt that it's a Fox-produced show currently airing on the Fox network. The two products will act as promotion for each other.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm pretty sure we're getting 24 now because it's horribly syndication unfriendly. Syndicators HATE showing things in order, and would rather show "best-of". 24 must be watched in order.

As far as Malcom goes, I think they've figured out that the people that buy the boxes still seem to by and large watch the syndicated repeats, and also, as Jason said the contracts and attitudes have changed in the time since X-Files started coming out.

Fox still has some shows in their catalog I really want, but the number is dwindling. Right now Space: Above & Beyond and Parker Lewis are my #1 unannounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks