What are the "proper" levels of contrast, color and brightness?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Rankine, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Larry Rankine

Larry Rankine Auditioning

I've been wondering exactly what are considered the "proper" levels of contrast, color and brightness? I realize you may want to change these slightly depending upon the content you're viewing but what exactly is considered "normal?" (assuming your set has been properly calibrated).

Larry

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The proper levels vary from set to set and from room to room and depend on what source you're watching and the room conditions, such as lighting, etc. The best thing to do is get a copy of avia or video essentials and calibrate to the levels that are right for your tv set, room condition, and source device. One general consensus is that if you have a rear projection TV is to keep the contrast low to minimize the chances of burn in occuring.

3. Larry Rankine

Larry Rankine Auditioning

Greg,
    Thanks for your reply! I guess I will have to invest in this Avia disk I've been reading about. I am getting an ISF calibration in the near future. Once that's done do you still use the Avia disk? And if so how frequently does one do that?

Larry

4. Chris_HD

Chris_HD Agent

I tweak my set with Avia every 3-4 months. My ISF cal is about 1.5 years old and needs to be done again.

Chris

5. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Just out of interest, everyone is saying to keep your contrast and brightness fairly low to avoid burn in, does this only effect RPTV. I'm getting a direct view tv and usually have the contrast at 90%, does this damage it?

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Brettis,

High contrast on direct view sets shortens the useful life of the tube and generally leads to white color fields which are difficult on the eyes. Test discs such as Avia or V/E show vivid examples of what excessive contrast/picture does to image accuracy. I would recommend changing your current preference in this regard. Your eyes and your set will thank you.

7. BrettisMckinney

Very interesting. Thanks for the advice. Sucks though coz i think it looks crap with the contrast down. How do you get good blacks?

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

What set do you currently run the 90% on now? What set(s) are you currently considering for replacement? Good Blacks are directly related to the Brightness adjustment and its interplay with Contrast/Picture levels. Also, the color settings will affect the appearance of Black itself. Lastly, each manufacturer utilizes tube treatments and coatings to enrich the vividness of Black.

If your current set is an older one, it may simply be on it's last legs, thus requiring higher settings. Also, aside from the state of your own vision, your viewing habits in terms of room lighting and placement have a direct bearing on your being able to maximize any set's performance.

Without knowing your situation, I would definitely suggest getting an A/V test disc of your choice and verify whether or not the current contrast level is due simply to your own habit/preference or something else. Having such a tool will pay big dividends down the road.

9. BrettisMckinney

Yeah i think i will def get one when i get my new set. COuld be hard to track down in Australia..better start looking!

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

11. BrettisMckinney

Just tried to find Avia, but they dont make PAL so i cant get it. Any other discs around that are good and PAL?