What are the possiblities of Robin Hood: Men in Tights?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chad A Wright, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Has there been any recent word about this one making an appearance? Which studio has it?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Sigh...

On my list, this is right below Star Wars. I think this is MGM, and why they have released it, considering the popularity some of the stars went on to achieve... it just seems wrong.

3. jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols Stunt Coordinator

This is THE ONLY catalog title that I HAVE to have. I have heard before that Fox has the DVD release. I swear if this gets released with an anamorphic widescreen transfer, DD 5.1 and pretty pretty please a commentary I would be thrilled. But I'm getting to the point I would buy a mono, full frame edition [​IMG] Pretty sad huh?

Come on guys please release this Mel Brooks classic.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

5. jonathan_govols

No I haven't heard any of Mel's other commentaries. The only other movie I have by him is History of the World Part 1 and that doesn't have one. I like this movie so much I wouldn't mind hearing a commentary like that [​IMG] Just as long as he says something about the "Ready, aim....WAIT FOR IT, Fire" guy I'll be happy [​IMG]

6. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
    Fox released the current VHS release so I'm quite sure they have the DVD rights too.
    Is this the last Brooks film not on DVD?

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

One of my good friends really wants this title.

8. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

The Spaceballs commentary by Brooks was the first one I heard, and it was horrible.

9. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I think I'd rather have High Anxiety on DVD before Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

No seriously. One of my friends is a big fan of this movie, me I could take it or leave it. He was asking if it was out, since I know alot more about which movies are out or not, (actually I just know where to look, like here at HTF).

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fox really should have released this at the same time as the Errol Flynn film.

13. Gregory William

Gregory William Auditioning

I dont care about a Mel Brooks commentary, but a Dave Chappelle commentary would be awesome. I would definately pick it up for that, even thought the movie isn't that great.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I am pretty sure it was here about a year ago that we were promised that this would be coming out this year.

Others that I have marked are 'Bringing up Baby', 'How to Steal a Million', Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)', and 'The Day After'. Who knows? We still have a few months to get a surprise.

Glenn

15. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    To answer John's question above, this was NOT the last Mel Brooks film which has yet to see the light of day on DVD. "Dracula: Dead And Loving It" starring Leslie Nielson came out a few years after "Men In Tights" and that has yet to be released on DVD as well. Mind you, this one isn't even in the same league.

I for one would love to see "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" be made available! This is by far one of my favorite satirical comedies. I almost hit the floor from laughing so hard the first time I saw it in theatres.

Anyone remember the braile edition of Playboy??? That was priceless.

"I am Asneeze........father of Achoo." Fox needs to bring this one out!! Commentary, no commentary. Doesn't make a difference to me. I would just love to be able to add this to my DVD collection.

16. jonathan_govols

There are so many classic things in this movie I couldn't even post them all. But while on the subject of Blinkin's Playboy, Yes I was literally crying the first time I saw that. But his best line was when he was feeling the statue and thought Robin had "grown a nice set of..." well you know what I mean.

17. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    There WAS a commentary for the LD. Not that good. Somehow you expect more out of a commentary from Mel Brooks.

18. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

19. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I believe at the last HTF Fox chat, this was listed as being in development within the next year, so hopefully we'll hear some announcement about a late 03 early 04 release.

I have the Laserdisc version and actually did listen to the commentary. It is a bit dry, but not as bad as others have said. I learned quite a bit about the movie and he covers a lot of interesting tidbits. One particularly interesting moment was the scene where the Sheriff of Rottingham meets the witch for the first time, and Mel Brooks discusses all the improvisation that Traci Ullman did and how many takes they had to do. It's been a while since Ive seen it, so I dont remember specifics, but I don't normally listen through a whole commentary if its not interesting, and I know I made it through the whole thing.

As for a DVD release, this is also very high on my list of wanted DVDs. I would love an SE, but will settle for a barebones anamorphic widescreen version.

20. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Once, during an overseas vacation, I had occasion to watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights about ten times on laserdisc (it wasn't a very active vacation [​IMG]). It was like plugging into Mesmir himself -- I couldn't turn the bloody thing off, I enjoyed it so much. I'd seen the movie in theatres, but that was years earlier. On laser it absolutely had me in its thrall. I enjoyed Mel's commentary thoroughly, and must've listened to it two or three times.

While I've never sat through it on home video, I absolutely loved Dracula: Dead and Loving It when I caught it in theatres (such striking production design! And Lucy's staking -- hilarious! Who'd have thought a vampire staking could have me rolling on the floor with laughter?). I recall seeing the laserdisc on store shelves, and believe it, too, had a commentary by Brooks. Since the commentaries already exist, including them on DVD should be simple enough (most omitted laserdisc commentaries seem to fall into the "Criterion has an iron clamp on the rights" phase of negotiations, where hopes of including it in a studio release are quickly abandoned; Criterion never took a crack at either -- can't imagine why, cough -- and it looks as if Fox owns home video distribution rights for both of these Brooks pictures, and the old laserdiscs were also put out by Fox, so digging up and offering the same commentaries shouldn't prove prohibitively difficult, unless of course Brooks has grown dissatisfied with them, as Barbra Streisand reportedly did shortly after recording a commentary on one film or another some time ago -- I believe she re-recorded that particular commentary, but my memory may be faulty ... at any rate, studio commentaries have been lost in the shuffle on some discs, of course, such as MGM's laserdisc commentary for The Big Country, but as long as fans have waited for these, and as much on-line attention as they continue to muster, I remain hopeful that Fox will at least mimic the supplemental content of the laserdiscs, if not expand upon it).

But anyway, in short: I hope Fox brings both of these to disc in the near future, in anamorphic widescreen, and with the existing supplemental material. My funny bone is in withdrawals. [​IMG]