What are the Platinum Disc Corp TV show DVDs?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tory, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    TVshowsonDVD won’t tell, and I guess I understand why but I have no idea so if anyone knows please tell. All I saw significant there were two non TV Show collections that may apply due to the process of TV taking classic cinema and making a TV series of it later on. There is a great two disc set of Betty Boop cartoons that look like they were restored and includes a whole bunch of titles not available on other Betty Boop DVDs including all of the Cab Calloway ones as well as a two disc Blondie movie collection. The Blondie collection suffers from a problem though; although they are the old movies they are the edited and repackaged for a TV series version. That being said it is still nice to get them for fewer than 6 dollars. The biggest problems with these sets is the bug in the lower right corner much like Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends or any cable channel but still the pleasure of seeing these things in any form out weighs the flaws for me.

I reckon these are not the series in question as a more modern title is alluded to. Does anyone know what is available? I may be ignorant to the titles that are out and their quality of programming.

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Do a search on Amazon for "Platinum Disc Corp" in the DVD section and that should give you all their releases.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Tory, it's not that we didn't WANT to list the stuff from Platinum. We practically begged them for the info to list! The reps we talked to gave excuse after excuse, sent whatever info they had handy (even if it didn't have anything to do with TV-DVDs), and when the excuses ran out, they basically told us (not in so many words, but this was our general interpretation) that it's too difficult for them to market their TV-DVD releases in any way, shape, or form, even at no cost to them, and then they straightforwardly told us they won't help us to help them, and that they didn't want to be represented on our sight.

:shrug: Since they seem to be too stupid to live, we've now eschewed them. But it's not like we're uninterested in helping fellow HTFers. The best lead we got was from a reader who wrote in following that article you link to. He said to try this list for this "most comprehensive source" of Platinum's stuff. But it's NOT comprehensive, mind you. For instance, Ray Bradbury theater isn't listed therein. So beware, but maybe you'll see something in there you can use.

For our part, we'll just beg off posting news about their stuff, much as we'd like to.

4. John McM

John McM Second Unit

I do know they have released that Jennifer Lopez soap opera called "Second Chances" from the early 90's, I've seen that at Best Buy before, the complete series for $20.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I spent well over a month trying to get information from them regarding their TV releases, and I was sent information on all these crappy public domain western movie releases, and NOT the specific titles I asked for in various emails and phone calls. The line from a VP there was, "We don't want our information listed on your website at this time." That made me laugh so hard, and I responded with, "Umm....okay then." This is a company that has NO web pressence turning down FREE publicity for their products. That totally blew me away, and I have to wonder why any company would want to license material for them to release. Obviously it's not going to be promoted to the general public.

I hope I don't sound bitter because it means less work for us, I just don't understand the logic behind their decision.

Here are some titles I know of:
    Lonesome Dove: The Series (and spinoffs)
    Ray Bradbury Theater
    Hammy the Hamster
    Dracula the Series

Plus they've released a ton of public domain stuff.

Gord

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I just saw the Ray Bradbury disc at BestBuy yesterday on their $5.99 rack and almost grabbed, but wanted to do some research as to the quality first. I'm not looking for remastered gorgeous transfers or anything, but I just want to make sure that it's not some edited VHS transfer.

Anybody seen this disc?

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Platinum also has the entire 65 episode run of BRADBURY in a box set. I've seen it for as little as $22.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

From that attitude, is it possible that Platinum Disc isn't really a legit company?

A lot of the stuff they turn out seems to be of questionable legality. And, titles disappear rather quickly. You can normally only find them in Circuit Cities or Best Buys. Amazon didn't use to carry them.

Since they didn't want to be listed, is that possibly the case? They didn't want to draw attention to what they were releasing?

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Jon, I'm not qualified to comment on the legitimacy of their products, I just know that they don't want us to talk about it. They usually deal with lesser-known shows and it could be difficult to track down the rights holders of the properties to double-check that it was licensed.

It seems odd that the company doesn't even have a website.

Gord

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Their Blondie and Hopalong Cassidy DVDs appear 100% legit (licensed from appropriate rights owners). I can't speak for the rest of their products though.

I sent them an e-mail asking about plans for future Blondie releases (none at this time) and where to find a listing of their products (they referred to www.allmovie.com). Unfortunately I can't see where you can search by studio at that site.

The gentleman who responded to my e-mail actually listed his cell phone number in addition to his regular phone & fax number! This appears to be a small time outfit.

Steve

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I had picked up the disc at Bestbuy for $23.99 around the time it first showed up. I hadn't bothered to crack the seal on it, but did so just now so I could answer your question.

I watched "The Crowd", the first episode on the first disc and one I remember watching when it first aired. An enjoyable episode, and the story was just as enjoyable as ever.

As to the quality of the video, I would say "VHS quality or lower". Is it edited? I can't recall enough about the show from its original airings to judge that. I know I have 2 or 3 episodes recorded to VHS, in a box in the back of a closet somewhere. It might be interesting to dig those up and compare those episodes to what are on these DVDs (I taped them off HBO, and probably did so because they excited my young hormones at the time, if you get my drift).

I do recall that the ending of each show mirrored the beginning, with Bradbury going back down the elevator he had come up in. I waited for that to appear on the DVD after the episode finished, but didn't see it. Am I missing something? Bear in mind that I haven't watched an episode for 19 years! [​IMG]

12. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

David,

Thanks for the feedback. I never saw any of the episodes during their original run, but do remember seeing the introductions for some of the episodes (I was at that age, where nothing was good enough for me). Years later, I now find myself a huge Bradbury fan and would love to see all of these episodes. If you decide to dig out those tapes, let me know what you find out. For a lousy $6, I may just pick this up anyway, but I am disappointed to hear that the picture quality is pretty poor.

Thanks again,