What are the odds of us seeing the Indiana Jones Trilogy on DVD this year?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Becker, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I'm just wondering what the consenus opinion is on this. At this point I have a bad feeling they're going to delay this one until next year. Lucas and Speilberg just seem so tied up in other things that it seems that they sometimes forget about the DVD community. [​IMG]

Dan.b

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Spielberg has been reporting the strong possibility of releasing JUST Raiders of the Lost Ark in Fall 2003, as long as Paramount goes with LFL's plans. He and Lucas want to release each film seperately as 2-disc special editions, following the model set by Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 on DVD. I like this better than a box set, because I fear a trilogy box set would reduce each film to 1-disc and compromise the amount of extras per film, ala the Back to the Future and Godfather trilogies (which is probably what Paramount would prefer to do).

A lot of us have been speculating that each film will be released 6-8 months apart, building up the hype for Indy 4's release in July 2005. So in theory...
    Raiders - late 2003
    TOD - mid-2004
    LC - late 2004/early 2005
    Indy 4 - in theaters summer 2005

3. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Odds?

I'd say LFL @ -10

4. Daniel Becker

I think the staggered release date idea sucks big time. [​IMG] I would prefer to see the trilogy released in similar fashion to the Back to the Future movies. Give us each movie on a single disk with a commentary by Harrison Ford along with a trailer. Then add a fourth disk with extras and the like. That would be perfect in my opinion.

The idea of waiting for each movie just sucks. Besides I don't give a rats ass about "buildup" for the next Indy movie. I have this funny feeling it's going to suck pretty bad. [​IMG]

Dan.b

5. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

I like the idea of a 2-Disc SE for each film. I think the studio would be able to make more money off of this way, AND we would get better features for each movie. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more and waiting a little bit more for better and more extras.

Matthew Furtek

6. Daniel Becker

I hate to break it to you Matthew but the fact that the studio will make more money will likely have very little do with the quality of the release. It's all about pride and whether or not the company has any. If they care enough they release a wonderful DVD product, if they don't they release a weak product.

Dan.b

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Well by that logic apparently Lucas/Spielberg take more pride in these releases than Paramount, because they want to give us more per movie rather than rushing out single disc versions in some shoddy box set, which is what Paramount as allegedly eager to do.

I want 2-disc sets cuz they'd have more extras. There's not a lot they can cram onto a single disc, or on a bonus disc for the whole trilogy.

And Harrison Ford doing a commentary on each film? Yeah right! That'll happen when Spielberg himself does a commentary. You're expectations and hopes for these DVDs aren't very realistic.

I'm betting these will be very similar in design to the Star Wars Ep1 and Ep2 2-disc DVDs.

9. Daniel Becker

Any way you cut it I want them out ASAP. I don't really care how they put them out, I just want them out! [​IMG]

Dan.b

10. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I'd like to see them released individually. That way, it separates Raiders from the other two. While I love the sequels, Raiders is in a totally different class.

Neil

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

To answer the question that started this thread:

Odds of Raiders of the Lost Ark being released this year: 99.9999%

Odds of Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom being released this year: 10%

Odds of Indiana Jones and The Last Cursade being released this year: 10%

IMO, of course!

12. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Okay, so how do we goad Martin Blythe into this thread?[​IMG]

Ultimately, this is about money; and I suspect the studio makes more from individual releases than a box set.

In terms of quality, Paramount usually puts out a quality product, albeit slim on the extras, esp DTS.

I remember Martin once canvassing this forum for 'direction' about releases...so...I vote for a box set, followed by individual SEs!

Martin...?

13. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

I want the box set now!!![​IMG] I dont belive for a minute that theres that many extras worth waiting for. Certainly as I stated in another thread,waiting will not make these any better than they can be. BTTF,Godfather,even the star wars prequels extras have all been eh. Great in thier own way,yes,but would I wait 5 years for them? Hell no! The movie is what I want to see! In the best presentation possible [​IMG] This release stragedy is ALL about hyping Indy 4. Not making each release spectacular,I promise you.There are soooo many ways to go about it that would be better for us fans if that was indeed their concern. I and many others have waited long enough,we'll take them now please [​IMG]

Luis S

14. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

16. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    I loved these films growing up, and I still love them. They need to be given the superior treatment they deserve. Let's face it, the Indiana Jones trilogy is Spielberg's baby, and to Lucas, only second to Star Wars. I want them to be released like the Die Hard movies. A two-disc set for each film. Since Steven Spielberg doesn't do commentary tracks, yet is an investor in DTS, so that wouldn't be a bad compromise. There were two awesome documentaries for Raiders and Temple of Doom when those movies were originally released. I hope those get added in as extras.

I just hope and pray they don't tinker with any special effects like E.T. and Star Wars!!!!

17. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Release them as a box set and add a 4th disc for the extra features.

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Maybe they'll release them both as single discs, and as a boxed set? I'd really like it if they did something like what Universal did with the Jurassic Park 3 boxed set... if you had all three of the DVDs already, you could send the UPCs in for an empty box and the extra features DVD. I've always thought that was a great move on Universal's part.

19. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Who cares about extras? Give them to me barebones and I'll be happy... extras would just be the sprinkles on the soft-serve cone. [​IMG]

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Who will produce all three Indy discs ?

Perhaps a collaboration between Van Ling and Laurent Bouzerau

[​IMG]