What are the HDTV conversion rules/dates?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony GT, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

Where can I find information on when HDTV is supposed to be fully implemented? My memory says 2005 or something close to that but I've learned my memory ain't what it used to be. [​IMG]
    And what are the requirements? Specifically, will cable companies HAVE to broadcast in HDTV by then? Or is it just OTA stations that have that requirement?
    Thanks!
    Anthony

2. Michael St. Clair

In 2006, in a given market, if 85% of households can receive DTV broadcasts, the stations in that market shut off analog broadcasts and only broadcast DTV (including HDTV if they choose).
    There is no date to force cable companies to broadcast DTV, and there are no dates to force HDTV anywhere (OTA, cable, satellite, or otherwise); stations can simply broadcast regular 480i DTV if they choose.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for any government-mandated HDTV revolution.

3. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Michael,
    I'm not doubting you since what you're saying has been pretty much everything I've heard, but do you have a source for this information?
    ------------------
    »ken«

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ken, I'm seconding Michael's opinion, but I can't remember where that came from, except that I'm sure it went through our congress. Maybe two December's ago?
    Anyway, the picture beyond that is that if the local stations in any one area all qualify and the old signals are cut off, CATV is going to be in a fix. I know that some CATV areas have started to transmit HDTV signals, and people say that they are great, but I have a feeling that the cable line is going to quickly run out of room. They will either have to cancel other stations or compress.
    Of course, if the CATV stations (Sci Fi, TBS, etc.) go HD too, then it will be even worse.
    Glenn

5. Michael St. Clair

From http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/prd/dtv/
    "At the end of the transition period -- which is now scheduled for the year 2006 -- broadcasters will be required to surrender one of the two channels. The transition period is subject to periodic progress reviews by the FCC. In addition, last fall Congress included provisions in the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 that would extend analog service beyond the 2006 date if certain conditions exist. They include a variety of conditions such as: the failure of one or more of the largest TV stations in a market to begin broadcasting digital TV signals due to causes outside the broadcasters control, or if fewer than 85% of the TV households in a market are able to receive digital TV signals off the air either with a digital TV set or with an analog set equipped with a converter box or subscribe to a cable-type service that carries the DTV stations in the market."
    As far as cable goes, using 256-QAM, an HDTV channel only takes up half the space of an analog channel, and an SDTV channel only takes up 1/10 the space of an analog channel (though I'd rather see them use 1/6 the space on average and increase the quality).
    Most of the major cable companies are already upgrading their infrastructure to be able to handle this (though some of them won't be using it for HDTV unless they feel they have to in order to be competitive).

6. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Anthony,
    I am awaiting that day - whenever it will be - as well. Considering that our local cable company cant do HDTV even with "digital" cable. I spent a lot of time the other day researching satellite TV because of their HD programming. It is just too expensive. Of course, with a UHF antenna and a stb we can get the local hd broadcasts.
    BTW, did you decide on a TV yet?
    Stefan Antwarg