What are the differences in DVD types?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Clinton McClure, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I am looking at getting a DVD burner and am wondering about the different types of media. I know dual-layer but nothing after that. What are the differences between DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, + and -? I aksed the kid at Best Buy and the best he could come up with is the definitions for RAM and ROM. Duh! Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

most burners do dvd+R and dvd-R, dvd-ram is a good format, but not really widely adapted. i think the disks may cost a little more too. most set top dvd players will play either +r, -r, or both. videohelp is a great place to learn about that stuff.

CJ

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR

It's pretty much easiest to think of + and - as two different competing methods of accomplishing the same goal of writing data to a DVD disc.

a few places like Dell lists + as the more compatible with old players while I've seen other articles list -. In the end almost any current player should be able to handle either format just fine.

4. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

I have heard and experienced just the opposite. I have found DVD-R to be ther more compatible, but it usually burns slower then +.

So the + will burn faster, but not as compatible in players (I have 3 players that do not play + discs, all of them no older then 2 years) or the - which burns a tad slower, but is more compatible.

DVD-RAM is not compatible in anything but another DVD-RAM drive, and it's only use is for backup purposes. In an Win XP system, it will treat DVD-RAM just like a 4.7GB hard drive and you can just drag and drop files to it.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

From what I've read, DVD+R discs don't need to be 'finalized' in order to play in set top players. This is why they are used (or were) in those DVD video cameras. You could keep adding video to them and still pull it out and wacth (what you've already recorded) on your set top player.

Like I said, I'm not 100% positive, but to back this up, I had a DVD+R that I dubbed to DVD-R and the DVD-R had more information on it. Most likely due to the fact that the -R had to finalize the sessing in order to be able to play on a set-top player.