What are the differences between the B&W 600s2 and the s3's??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

OK right now I have the 602s2 (front), 601 (rear), and the cc6 (center) I was thinking about getting the s3's in a slightly different configuration. So what would the differences be if I did the LCR600 for the front and the center compared to the setup I have now (I am guessing it will be better) and for the rears I was thinking about the 600s3's. The rear is what I am concerned about...the driver is smaller on the 600s3's but the port is better and on the back?!?!
    So what do you think...a good change or is what I have now going to be better??[​IMG]
    Also this is all running off a ONKYO txds 676 (85x5) I might upgrade the reciever too but the speakers are more likely at this time.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I added two 602 S3's as rear center speakers to go with my 602 S2 rears, 604 S2 mains and LCR6 center speaker. I was a little concerned about how the S3's would blend with the S2's in the back, but the two series sound identical to me. I think the specs on the 602 S3's indicate a little better low frequency response, but they are a very good match to the old S2's.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry too much about timbre differences. Just make sure your dealer has a reasonable return policy in case your results are different from mine.

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

This is good to hear that the 2 series match up well. I have the exact same setup as Mark. I have been lookin' to upgrade the CC6 center to the LCR6, but cannot for the life of me find one anywhere. I was almsot considering going with one of the S3 center channels.

Aaron

4. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

I'm running the 604S3 up front with an LCR600S2 center and 602S2 rears. The S3 match the S2 well but I think the high frequencies extend a bit more on the S3 (accoring to the specs).

Based on my experience with the line, I'd suggest upgrading only the center to the LCR600. The 602 goes lower than the LCR600 in exchange for slightly less detail in the mid's.
    Rob.

5. Mark Guidry

If I upgrade it will be the whole setup OR just the rears...Im not really thinking about doing just the center.

So you think the 602s3's would be better than the LCR600s3's for the left and right? It looks like the LCR600 goes down to 60Hz and the 602's go down to 49Hz...why does the 602 go lower?? The LCR has a bass driver and a mid bass driver...one would think it would be better than the 602 with just a mid bass driver (At least I did). If I am running a dual SVS 39cs+/s1000 set up would I notice a difference between the LCR and the 602 low freq.'s???

The center would be the LCR600 and the rears would be the 600s3 if I upgraded everything.

Thanks every one
    mark

6. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Mark,

The 602's have a large port on the front, the LCR600 have a rear facing port. I think that's part of the difference in the low end. Also, driving both a mid/base combination instead of a just a bass driver will not be as efficient, but should be more accurate with the proper crossovers.

I too love the LCR600 and was originally planning on using three up front. Since you have the extra sub's I think you'd get better results with this than I would.

Definately go out and audition the whole line. My recommendation for upgrading only the center was based on my subjective comparision between the CC6 /LCR600 & 602. It's my opinion that the CC6 is the weekest part of your current system. I suggest upgrading the center see if you like it compared to your 602's and then decice on the others.

7. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Mark,

One more point I forgot to mention. Make sure to audition the LCR600 vertically. Compare the horizontal dispersion to the 602/603/604. The published specs assume the LCR600 has the three drivers level to one another.

-RJ.

8. Mark Guidry

I was planning on going listen to them all to see for my self what the differences are...but I was wanting some other input since my ears may not be as well developed as some [​IMG]
    Yeah I should have gone with the bigger center but at the time the dealer said he didn't think it was worth the extra money...now I wish I had.
    One more question...do ALL the s3's have the Nautilus tweeter in them....mainly the 600s3?????