What's new

What are the correct settings for 16:9, 4:3, etc. DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I helped my father in law set up his new home theater this weekend. He has a 4:3 HDTV-ready Toshiba 43H71 and a Panasonic RP56. We have everything connected right with component cables, but it gets a little confusing with different types of DVD's. Widescreen anamorphic DVD's are fine and look great. I assume we should just set the DVD player to 16:9, set the TV viewing mode to "compression", and push the Progressive button on the front of the DVD player. Also, in a sub menu on the TV, I highlighted "Film", not "Video". The clips of Star Trek Insurrection and Saving Private Ryan looked great.

Then I tried The Abyss and Twin Peaks. What settings should we have for non-enhanced 16:9 DVD's and 4:3 DVD's? Do we need to change the aspect ratios in the DVD player? Or the TV? The options on the DVD player are the usual 4:3 Pan and Scan, 4:3 Letterbox, and Widescreen. The options for watching widescreen material on the TV are "Normal", "Widescreen", and "Compression". Should the progressive button still be on when we watch non-enhanced discs or 4:3 discs? We're new at this, so we would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
1. Leave the DVD player set for "Widescreen".

2. Always push the progressive button (I would; others may feel differently for certain sources).

3. On the TV, use "Compression" for anamorphic discs, use "Normal" for 4:3 material, and use "Widescreen" for letterboxed, nonanamorphic discs like The Abyss.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks