What's new

what are the complaints regarding final fantasy X? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i was browsing this page :
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=3306
and got this :
"David says: I like what I see. Unlike many "hard-core" RPG fans (which I am definitely not), I actually liked Final Fantasy X."
well i am not too fond of final fantasy games. but i am curious why hardcore rpg fans dont like final fantasy x. please tell me why.
btw the only rpg game that i want to play is fallout3, if it ever comes out.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I love FFX, but I've heard complaints about the game being too linear. Still, I think it fits the cinematic style, though, so I don't have a real problem with that.

I'd buy Fallout3 in a heartbeat! I played 1 and 2 to death.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Agreed - too linear. The first half of the game seemed pointless and boring. Of course, having it so wide open that I don't know what to do next would have sucked too.

I liked FFX but it was REALLY linear. Basically you enter one "area" which is more like a level, and move to the next one almost like a platformer. No world map coupled with the fact that you couldn't fly the airship stunk as well. One of the really cool things about the previous games was flying around looking for areas that you thought you saw when you were stuck on foot. That said, I liked the game.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
On one hand, a linear RPG makes for an easy and great story to follow. With platform RPG's, there's a narrative to follow along with the adventure you're undertaking. However, the RPG "world" is not as open as other "hardcore" RPG's. You're limited to a few options and sidequests.
I guess the main problem with Final Fantasy X is that the game was the most linear of all Final Fantasy's. For one thing, it had the smalled number of sidequests (relatively compared to I, IV, V, VII, VIII, IX).
On the other hand an "open" RPG possesses a vast world in which to explore and go on quests. Unfortunately, I've yet to meet an "open" RPG that possessed a great story. Most "open" RPG's (like an online of Everquest or Asheron's call) have great worlds, but the only task you seemingly have every single game is to raise your levels.
I can remember days watching my friend play Everquest, and I would ask him the same question everytime: What are you doing? His response was always the same: raising levels.
But then again, the good thing about a linear RPG is that you're often not stuck with being lost quite a bit. The story, rather than anything else, is more important at hand.

John Chow

Second Unit
I think Dome summed it up pretty good. On the other hand, you could say FFX has more meaningful sidequests in that getting ultimate weapons/unlocking them is a much greater pain in the ass. The lack of an airship was kind of a weird decision, and not one I agree with, but to me it doesn't take that much away from the game. I would say most of the FF games were pretty much the same with regards to linearity, but some of the previous ones had more in terms of sidequests you could wander into. I don't remember any of the games really allowing you to do major plot points in a different order. The one thing I really liked was the character system in FFX, since it allows for a bit more customization (kinda like FF5), rather than having every character pretty much be identical (like in FF7). The ability to use your whole party in a battle is also something they implemented in FFX that was unseen in the later FF games. I consider myself to be a fairly hardcore rpg gamer (Wizardry), and I enjoyed FFX for what it was, and didn't worry about what it wasn't.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
Your stuck watching more movies than actully playing. I mean come on enought freeken movies let me play!

Oscar_R

Second Unit
having finished FF X, i would have to say the worst aspect is the mind numbingly difficult mini games. F- You Square for the chocobo racing, butterfly hunting, ugh. arrrrgh, die , die, die. oh jesus christ , why?

my other complaint is that some of the side elements are designed exclusively for people who purchased a guide. The way to get some of the ultimate weapons are just so counter intuitive no one in their right mind would ever figure it out. lighting dodge anyone?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The side quests were difficult, but they gave better rewards than some of the sidequests in previous FF games.

I liked the linearity. Sure, you don't get as much freedom as you want, but the storyline is developed a lot more and in a much better fashion than some of the less linear games. The characters also get fleshed out a lot, which also adds to the experience.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I didn't think FFX was all that much different from a linearity standpoint than the others. In each, you have to follow through on the story and eventually get an airship that lets you go places you couldn't before. The only difference is that in FFX you had to enter coordinates rather than fly to to actual place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks