What are the chances of getting paid $20 per hour or better for custom install job

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I just applied for a job at a pretty high end store to do custom install. Their lower end stuff was NHT, Monitor Audio etc. Their higher end stuff looked really expensive. Control units from Creston (SP) high end looking speakers that look like a tuba. Check their website to see what they carry.
    http://www.soundenvironment.com/
    My question is, I need to make about $20+ an hour working full time to pay the bills (mortgage, car payment, dvd-crack habit, etc.) What are the chances that a place will pay that even if they are super high end?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

chuck:

personally, i think you should be asking them since they are the ones who are going to pay you. however, i doubt they will pay you $20/hr. i would think it would be closer to $10-13/hr but of course i could be mistaken. good luck. i hope they pay you what you want.

kevin t

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not sure what oyu do, but there's an ISF tech near me that charges $65/hour for ISF Calibrating, and i THINK installing too...

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

$10-$13/hr seems kinda low to me, especially if you have some kind of credentials and experience. I would think closer to $20 myself. Those rich folk can pay up the wazoo when it comes to home automation.

5. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

I can give you my point of view as a Telephone system/cabling installer: It wouldn't surprise me if the company charges more than $20 or even $40/hor for the install but I doubt you'll see all of that. Your pay will be a percentage of that ammount. For instance, my company charges $95/hour for labor but ask me if I see even 1/4 of that... [​IMG]
    However, if you can get that for installs be sure to let me know and I'm so there. [​IMG]
    ~Crowe~

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yeah, I understand about the companies billing the employees out at way more than what they pay. If I made what my firm bills me out at, I'd make over $5000 a week. I guess I was kind of hoping that someone who actually does this for a living, but doesnt own the company might chime in. Thanks for the thoughts though.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

No way to tell. I bet it's between $10 and $25 an hour, depending on what they have you doing. A single Crestron touchscreen sells for over $4000, and most custom installers will charge $75-$100 an hour, but you won't see that kind of money.

You'll have to wait and find out. Personally, I'd guess it will fall in the $15 range...

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I had some friends that did this a few years ago (2-3), and got paid in the $12-13 range.

I can't imagine over $20 for that. After all, it amounts to semi-skilled labor.

If you're looking for that kind of $$ in that line of work, start your own business.

Todd