What are the chances of Captain Kangaroo getting a release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jul 8, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Does anyone know who holds license to the show and what are the chances that we might see some episodes released to DVD, both of the original and later 80's series?

I think it would be a fitting tribute to honor Bob Keeshan who passed away earlier this year, so that a new generation of children could be introduced to such a wonderfully respected show..

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

MPI released some Captain Kangaroo videos in the mid-'80s, but they were original productions, not the TV show. Still, I've asked MPI if it knows who owns the rights to the show and will report back if I hear anything.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Randy.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Due to the nature of the show (at least in the '70s, it contained several 'outsourced' segments like Bill Cosby's Picture Pages and a Captain Nemo cartoon, which might prove difficult to licence) and the vast number of episodes, I would think if we ever did see a release, it would most likely be a "Best of" or some sort of Retrospective release. It's also possible that Kangaroo might've recycled footage into multiple episodes over the years, as that practice isn't unheard of in children's a.m. programming (think Sesame Street for one).

I don't think Kangaroo (or Romper Room or Sesame Street, for that matter) are likely to have complete episodes released.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

MPI replies that it believes the home-video rights to the TV show are now owned by Encyclopedia Britannica, which also has released various Captain Kangaroo videos that were distributed by MPI, as well as related products (CDs, CD-ROMS, etc.), over the years.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Wow. As much as I am into this stuff, it sometimes truly amazes me about who rights end up with. And then the big question: HOW?!??!?!?!!! [​IMG]

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I was just cruising Youtube to see some Captain Kangaroo stuff.
    I use to LOVE watching Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid and even have pictures of me when I was about 5yrs old, sitting in my teddy bear rocker watching the Captain.

I remember many of the comedy sketches, segments and even seeing "Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings" and Slim Goodbody who wore the body stocking to look like your internal organs [​IMG]

I would LOVE a best of DVD's

check this stuff out.
    I love it when Bunny Rabbit gets pissed off at the Captain for giving him peanuts instead of carrots.
    Captain Kangaroo with Mr. Moose & Bunny Rabbit

The fantastic original opening

another version of the later episodes

8. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

Supposedly they didn't recycle material until the post CBS PBS Years where there was a mix of new material and late CBS-era stuff.

With that in mind, that amounts to alot of material!

There's also the issue of what exists and in what formats. I'd be VERY surprised if any color material prior to the late 1960's-early 1970's exist.

9. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    I missed the ending to the Great Paint Mystery because I had to go to school. I believe it was a 2 or 3 parter, and I only saw the beginning because I was home sick.

I'm sure it'll turn out that Bunny Rabbit was behind it somehow.