What are the chances of an "XBOXplus" within 2-3 years?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Butch Smith, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

In reading the Anandtech article, is seems that there are solder spots for another 64MB DDR ram to be put in. They state that it's perfectly possible to add it in yourself, but the games will only be looking for 64, so it's a moot point.

My question:

What are the chances that, within 2-3 years (about 2 years short of their XBOX2 schedule) that Microsoft will release an "XBOXplus" with an additional 64MB DDR? I would think it slim, but you never know. They could use it as the old "Ace in the hole".

Any ideas?

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

I'd place the odds at slim since the existing library that will assumably exist at that point in time would have all been written with 64 MB memory footprints in mind...

Unless of course MS has started giving devs notice that they'd have more room in the near future...and given the development cycles of software, MS would have to be notifying development teams relatively soon if they had any intentions of upgrading the hardware any.

Given the state of the memory pricing right now, it really wouldn't be all *that* large a hit in the financial pocket to upgrade and it would greatly address the achilles heel of the system in memory bandwidth (at least in useage for 1080i based games).

Still I just find the possibility of it slim, particularly since MS is straying at all costs of portraying an image for the xbox as being just a PC.

3. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

oh yeah, forgot if Anandtech's article mentions it or not, but the XDK development boxes that MS provides to developers has the full 128 MB array, hence the extra slots for memory. For production machines, the two spots are left empty, probably to keep costs down.

4. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, it's gotta be for the XDKs. That way you only have to design the motherboard once.

And simply adding more memory wouldn't increase the available memory bandwidth one lick. The existing 64 MBs of DDR already make up a 128 bit pathway which is as wide as the IGP can support.

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

The odds of a successer to the xBox are quite high actually. It is tentatively being called the 'HomeStation' and is rumored to be released as early as next year. This will be the device that allows Microsoft to expand their monopoply into the living room.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21631.html

6. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

7. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

"Set-top" boxes are not a new thing. EVERYONE is trying to develop one, not just Microsoft.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I really hope not as this could be quite a bad trend in the industry. I'd hate to buying an 'update' to a console every two to three years...

-Andre F

9. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

I think it is gonna happen as demand and competition grow between sony and Microsoft. they will duke it out with a PS3 on the horizon, xbox will come back with a beefed up xbox 2 and so on and so own, both platforms being backword compatible.

I am a former power pc gamer and would like to see power consoles be upgradable every 1 1/2 to 3 years. Just as you have to upgrade your pc every 1 1/2 to 3 years to stay on the edge of graphics.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If I can get 5 years out of a $300 console, I don't see any reason why I would want to upgrade it every 1.5 to 3 years. Its just a waste of money, which is probably why console gaming is as big as it is (people don't want to upgrade PCs).

11. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

I agree Morgan.My interest in PC gaming is slowly dissappearing,not because of a lack of quality titles but simply because I can't afford the technology to play the latest and greatest.My 2 year old Geforce DDR coupled with an Athlon 700mhz now only gets me about 20-45fps(outdoor environments) in Tribes 2 with most graphics settings on low.If I want to see the game in its full glory I'm lucky to get 20fps at best.