What are the chances of a Japanese-language RODAN?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Now that the Toho Studios seem to be getting better treatment in Region 1, I am anxious to have an unexpurgated, original language edition of this 1957 follow-up to GOJIRA. I believe there was an import laser disc once, but I could never acquire it. I find RODAN, in its first half at least, to be genuinely creepy (that second trip into the mine shaft is truly scary) and in some respects the equal of GOJIRA. But all we
    have had in region 1 is the soft, color-faded print that Paramount got hold of, and it deserves better. Who owns the rights to this now, and might we hope for a better release? I don't know what the proper OAR was (I suspect 1.33:1...wasn't MOTHRA the first of TOHO's widescreen monster films?)

2. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I'm still waiting for an original Toho release too!

When it was finally released last few years in the Godzilla Box Set, it was the old LD copy.

If you look closely, it looks like it was a kinescope. You know, where they took the picture from a TV screen. You can even see the reflection of the glass on the film.

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I'm led to understand that Classic Media, who is releasing the much-anticipated box set of remastered Godzilla DVDs this fall, has the rights, and is planning on releasing both the American and Japanese versions next year, along with both versions of WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS.

Thank god we'll soon be able to retire that wheezing transfer that first reared its ugly (but nonetheless welcome) head on Vestron Video (VHS, LD, and CED; I owned it in all three formats!) in the early '80s.

4. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I saw it and the "Mysterians" when they were first released and boy, did they scare me. They also became some of my favorite sci-fi's...gotta love those Toho flicks!!!