What's new

What are the chances for the New Mission Impossible series coming to dvd? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know we will probably get the original MI series in the next year or so(or at least when the new movie comes out). But, I am wondering if anyone thinks we might get the new series on dvd?

Thanks!

Mark To

Supporting Actor
If you are talking about the 1980s series I would really doubt it. They would not do it until after the original and I doubt they will get through 7 full seasons of that.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
You never know. It only ran a year and a half, so it wouldn't be hard to put them out.

I actually liked the 1988-90 version quite a bit.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen the original Mission Impossible (but would like to). I did grow up watching the New Mission impossible, and thought it was the coolest show ever. I would love to see these shows again.

(I remember the episode where the first female was killed - that episode really made me sad.)

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning
I'll put a vote in for the new series because I never knew it existed back then and would like to check them out.

I cannot wait for the first 7 seasons to get out on DVD.
Hope they get released this year.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'd love to have the new ones. Me liking the new ones is undoubtably one of the prime reasons it got cancelled. The old ones are probably the biggest thing I'm waiting for on DVD right now.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The original series is superior in terms of writing, regular cast, acting, and guest stars. The new series only wins in terms of both production values and Lalo Schifrin doing a first-rate modernized remake of the various themes he composed for the old show.

I liked how Jim Phelps was able to abandon the records and tape recordings he was using in the 1960s and 70s in favor of laserdiscs in the late 1980s version.

The original female member of the new IMF team was killed off in the middle of the first season when Jane Badler (previously Diana in the "V" series) left the show.

Original series regulars came back to guest star: Lynda Day George (who had not aged well) as mistress of disguise Casey showed up in one episode. The late Greg Morris appeared as retired electronics whiz Barney Collier in 3 episodes, including a 2-parter. It gave him an opportunity to work with his son Phil Morris -- a regular on the second series.

When Bsrney was murdered in an explosion, I remember Phelps getting a little misty over the death of his old team member.
The second Mission: Impossible series maintained the spirit of the original. The movies with Tom Cruise as Ethan completely ruined the concept by essentially making Tom's character a "one-man show". Sure in the first film there was Ving Rhames to assume the muscleman role and Jon Voight (?!) as an ill-chosen replacement in the Phelps role for Peter Graves (then busy working on A & E's Biography series). But most of the current Impossible Missions Force in the first M.I. were killed off early in the story, making Ethan a fugitive trying to clear his name for the rest of film. TEAMWORK is what is the backbone behind the Mission: Impossible that I loved. This wasn't supposed to be a James Bond or Simon Templar scenario! ;)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Not that Graves would have done the film anyway. I remember reading him comment about how much he hated what they did to the character, and when I saw the film I could see why.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

You said it, Jeff# :) Remember this line from the orignal MI?

"Please dispose of this recording in the usual manner. Good Luck, Dan" (that was from the 1st season with Steven Hill). Of course, the one that most remember was "This recording will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Good Luck, Jim" (was that 5 sec? Maybe my memory's gone :D )

I agree with the "teamwork" quote as well. The movies never matched that concept of the original series.

I'd like to see the new MI again. Since I haven't seen it in syndication in a long time, I think I'd "blind buy" that set when/if it gets to DVD.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The first season of the old series had various intervals of time for the recording to self-destruct. Five seconds eventually became the standard even before Steven Hill was fired.

By the way, you can call me Jeff. the " # " part of my username somehow had the " 1" chopped off when I created it a couple of weeks ago! Since there are so many Jeffs here, my choice was Jeff#1 :D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also hated what they did to Phelps in the movie?!? And they did make it almost a 1-man mission. :thumbsdown:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But, at least there was some handwaving at the team concept in that movie. They dispensed with it completely with M:I2. :angry:

Hell, "Sneakers" makes for a better M:I film than M:I

Man, I didn't even know that they did another series in the 80s. I would have thought I would have remembered that...

Jason

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I liked the movie Sneakers, and I have it on DVD. I certainly don't want either Mission: Impossible.

Probably one of the worst episodes of the otherwise decent 1980s Mission: Impossible series featured guest star Paula Kelly (better known from the first season of Night Court) as a voodoo priestess!

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning
Does Paramount even know these forums exist ?
Has anybody contacted them over the phone or by snail mail ?
Sure would be nice to know our efforts and wishes are being considered.
I guess they could look at TVSHOWSonDVD.com for the numbers.
But then again do they even know about that place ?
Thanks !

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Not the first time she's played this type of role. She played a housekeeper with an affinity for the vaudun in the third season of The Golden Girls. The gals fear her curse when they have to fire her for being a poor housekeeper.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Eeeech, I never liked The Golden Girls. :angry:

Although it would be interesting to see what a younger Paula looked like in 1968 when she appeared as a dance instructor in a sketch on The Carol Burnett Show!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Actually Jane Badler ("V") JOINED the cast of the 1980's revival series to replace Terry Markwell's character who was killed in the line of duty.

The 1980's series was far better than the two poor feature films that followed. Maybe there is hope for the third one...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Paramount knows of HTF and TVShowsOnDVD.com don't worry. Problem is that there are some changes going on there right now, so people are having to adjust.

Gord

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Dave, I hope the changes are for the better?? Maybe, you or Gord want the job. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks