What are the best types of perogies?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by brentl, Mar 1, 2005.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

OK folks, I know what I like, and wonder what you like.

I've been eating these things for more than 30 years(Ukrainian Mother), we call them "petta heh".

Best types;

Blueberry ..... top with sugar and dipped in sour cream FANTASTIC!

Sauerkraut ..... add a little bit of bacon bits(real preffered)

Potatoe .... the store bought ones tend to be a little salty but they are good enough.

Apricot ..... tried them and didn't like em!

Apple ...... I've heard these make a great dessert dish, serve with whipped cream.

What's your favourite??

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I've only ever had potatoe perogies, frozen in a box from the store. I like them a lot, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

I'd love to try the other varieties. . .where do you get them or how do you make them?

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Store bought: Onion and Potato.
    Yum!

4. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

I like either potatoe, mushroom or meat filled pierogis. There's a brand called Kasia's which is sold here in Chicago that's good in a pinch when you don't have time to make your own.

-Pedro

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Did everyone go to the Dan Quayle school of "potatoe" spelling? [​IMG]

PS- Just kidding.[​IMG]
    I make spelling mistakes all the time. I just thought this one was funny due to historical events.
    Dan Quayle and the "potatoe" kid

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

When I lived in a heavily Polish area of Pennsylvania, I loved the homemade potato pierogies boiled then fried with butter and onions (one place even made a "potato pierogie pizza" - covered with mashed potatos, onions and melted butter. Came with it's own heart defribrilator). When I visited Moscow, Poland, my favorite dish was a clear borscht with sausage pierogies.

The frozen ones are not bad, unless you've tasted homemade.

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

You guys are making me miss Chicago something fierce! There is a nice little polish store / sausage joint here in Denver that sells Strawberry Perogies, pretty darn good.

Personally, potato with onion with a meal, blueberry/strawberry if for dessert. Damn do I miss the White Eagle in Chicago though. I'm sure my waistline and heart don't feel the same [​IMG]

8. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

My mother always made farmer's cheese ones growing up, because of my father and brother. My grandmother used to make blueberry ones for Wigilia. Never much liked either of those , but I do like the potato ones and the sauerkraut ones. Boiled, with sauteed butter and onions. Good stuff.

Now, golabki, there's a dish I will kill for in a second.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Just punch up Sauerkraut perogie, or potatoe perogie ETC

For blueberry try to find the sweetest BBs you can find, but usually I add a little sugar in the "pocket" to make the blueberries sweeter.

3 cups of flour
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons of oil
    around 2 cups of water .... I'll explain later.
    pinch of salt
    Water

-Mix egg, oil and salt together and add to flour, mix and add water in till you get a doughy consistancy.
    -With flour on a table to prevent sticking, kneed the dough till it looks smooth 3 or 4 minutes should be enough.
    -Ball the dough and cover for 30 minutes, this allows the dough to "set up" as I call it.
    -Cut the dough in half since it's easier to work with , and roll it out until it's quite thin(2mm is as thick as it should be).
    -Cut to size, I usually do a square about 3" per side, and when folded corner to corner makes a triangle... funky eh!
    -Fill the centre portion with Blueberries and add a little bit of sugar.
    -Fold and squish the edges together so nothing leaks.
    -Bring water to a boil and add perogies, bring to boil again and then reduce temp.
    -cook for about 5 minutes, drain.
    -serve with sugar and Sour cream.

Brent
    Some people use glasses to make circles instead of triangles. It's up to you!

To freeeze the perogies use a baking pan and a tea towel to seperate the layers and put in the freezer that way. When frozen, bag as you wish but "per serving" is a good idea.

Just made a batch and from start to finish it's about 60 minutes for BB, and 2 hours for Sauerkraut because of the need to cook and cool the Sauerkraut.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Onion, butter and sometimes cheese.

My dads parents were Slovac and the family receipt is the best, although, it takes 6-8 hours to make. We pronounce them pea-dough-he. Not sure how it is spelled though.

I love them fried in the morning for breakfast.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Did everyone go to the Dan Quayle school of "potatoe" spelling? "

I'm Canadian and it sounds good to me.

What's in the sausage perogies(I know that part smartass[​IMG]) ?? Is it strictly sausage??

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I've seen the sausage ones mixed with either mushrooms or lots of spices. I'm not a usually a big one for the sausage perogies, afterall that's what the polish sausage sitting next to them on my plate is for. Hehe...

13. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I buy them from a local Polish market (plenty of those on the east side of Detroit). I usually stick with potato or sauerkraut. I like to boil them then brown them in a frying pan and slather with sour cream and salsa. Tasty!

14. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

So am I Brentl. I was just having some fun... [​IMG]

I also like bacon perogies. Had some a little while ago, very nice!

15. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Greg,

Really? I am not a huge fan of the cabbage rolls. I usually substitue with the mushroom soup [​IMG].

Have you ever had Bigosz/Bigos (sp.?) It's sort of a Hunter's stew, with sauerkraut, sausages, mushrooms, etc. Probably of Hungarian origin. That one I've had around Wigilia too. Very hearty.

-Pedro

16. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Hey Pedro,

Blasphemy. [​IMG] I find that if you substitute spicy Italian sausage filling for half the beef, it adds a whole new dimension of good. Gives a nice little kick.

I love Bigos. Never had it growing up though. I guess the prep time to make proper Bigos was too much for Mom. There's a Polish restaurant called Cafe Polonia in South Boston (go figure) that has awesome Bigos. Washed down with a Zywiec. Ah, a little slice of heaven. Now I'm tempted to go there this weekend.

I have to go to Chicago in mid-April sometime. What's the best restaurant in town to get some Polish grub from?

Greg