What's new

What are the best sunglasses for driving? (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
I also wear polarized glasses and wouldnt trade them for anything. There is no glare when driving, and fishing is a lot more fun when you can see the fish chasing your hook! I say spend a little bit and get a pair of decent quality, polarized shades. However beware the Racoon "DORK" tan if you get wrap around shades. I have been the victim many times!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
"Oakley = the Bose of sunglasses."
"Bose = Great sound through Research"
So Oakley = Great glasses through research, I agree :)
I revise my Oakleys because I loose them or they become outdated in style. I get them free because of "connections" so I have the latest models with various lenses I can swap. Sometimes it's actually hard to get the lense color you want. (The lenses scratch pretty easily)
Oakleys have what they call a life-time repair policy where if you scratch them, damage them you send them to back and they fix them or send replacement parts. This is what I was told and seems to be a fair deal.
Oakley also sells prescription sunglasses but if your vision is bad you may not be able to get them in every model.
Polaroid lenses are common among fishermen because the glare from lakes is reduced allowing the fishermen to see through the water that the normal eye cannot. I'll bet if you go to a bait/tackle shop they'll sell some hideous looking polaroid clip ons.
It's easy to scratch off the anti-reflective coating on glasses so i'd only use the micro-mesh clothes to clean it. From what I remember it can cost upwards to $80 for an AR coating on prescription glasses.
Another FAD was the photo-sensitive/photo-grey lenses that darkened in the sun. I used to have these and they were dorky. Want ultimate protection? Wear the glasses that senior citizens wear for prescription purposes. :)

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a pair of Oakley Half Wires about a month ago. They are a brand new style. I think they are quite nice looking. I'm waiting for replacement lenses to come out so that I can try different looks. They were $150.

These sunglasses replaced an old pair of Sungear (out of business or purchases by another) sunglasses that I've had for about ten years. They cost me $100 bucks ten years ago.

I've spoken to Oakley about replacement lenses, and I have been told that none are available. I do hope that they make these lenses available in the near future. Can someone who sells some Oakleys (hint, hint NickSo) let me know if they are ever going to sell replacement lenses for this style.

thanks....

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread yet, so I'll throw in a shout-out for Revos. I love mine, although I didn't love replacing them when I lost my first pair at Epcot Center last year.
You want to hear something funny? (And by "funny", I mean "excruiatingly ironic".) The very next year, my wife and I go back to DisneyWorld with some friends, get on the Viking ride in the Norway part of Epcot, wife has her Revos clipped to her shirt...she takes the camera bag off her shoulder so it wouldn't get wet, and...yup. Her Revos went sailing off and into the water, never to be seen again. Curse you, Epcot! $500 worth of sunglasses in a little over a year!
Wait, what were we talking about again? Sunglasses? Yeah, uh, I like Revos, but stay the hell away from Epcot Center if you get them. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So, no clip-ons are available for oakley's right?

If not, what are my options for glasses that perform similarly...ie. polarized, anti-reflective, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks