What's new

What are the best sunglasses for driving? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
By best, I mean:

-most effective for driving
-stylish (the standard grandpa frames just won't do...)
-affordable (if possible,

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I use $300 Titanium Oakleys I revise each year with the new model. The problem with titanium is they get hot if left in the sun and don't cool off fast. I also don't like the fact that there's glare if the sun hits it at an angle. I believe there's an AR (anti-reflective) coating on the lenses though.

At any Optical store you can purchase an AR coating to be put on sunglasses. I'd look for a polaroid lense with close to 100% UV protection and AR. Style is second in importance to comfort. You'll have to visit an sunglass store and TRY them out because people have different size heads/features so I can't really recommend one.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Serengeti Drivers. They go for around $100 - $150 depending on the style. I have the medium avaitors, and they've spoiled me; I can't wear any other sunglasses.
-Erik

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I have a pair of ray-bans that I bought years ago. I LOVE them. They are great for driving because they block a lot of light and they have 0 color distortion. Everything looks exactly the same but I don't have to squint when I wear them.

If I ever have to buy new sun glasses I will get ones with 0 color distortion.

Greg

LewB

Screenwriter
Another vote for the Serengeti Drivers. They cut the glare very nicely without making the world too dark. You can also leave them on if it gets cloudy,

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Lets see.. I've had Ray-Ban's, Oakleys, Serengetis, Gargoyles (remember those?) The old-fashioned Terminator style, not these newer models (that probably aren't even bullet-proof).

So far my longest-lived pair has to be a "2-pair for $15" knock-off sunglasses you see at all those little huts in malls and at thruway stops. It must be some sort of Murphy's Law, in which the less you spend on sunglasses, the longer they last (Or don't get lost).

PS: I can find no differance in the comfort of $7 or $200 sunglasses, but some $5 tend to warp your vision when looking anywhere but straight-ahead.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
What's with the old people and those big-ass black glasses?

I think I'll get a pair from Walgreens, and see if the chicks dig them... Hmmm......

Cam S

Screenwriter
I used to think Oakley's were a waste of money untill I finally bought a pair of 5's. I'll never go back to cheap sunglasses as the Oakley's fit incredibly nice and the lenses are much better optically. Mine are the Polarized version which is great for boating. Well worth the money.
Link Removed

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Unfortunately I could never find a pair that actually fit (inc. metal frames that I'd bend). I finally went to an optometrist and got a custom pair made for

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of ray ban orbs titanium. Good glasses! run about 150 bucks online, nice light frames, B&L ground glass lenses. Good bang for the buck IMO. I can post a pic if anyone's interested. I'm too lazy otherwise :D

Jin E

Second Unit
Anything polarized and comfortable. You never really notice how much window glare they cut out until you lose them and have to wear some non-polars. I used to be a sunglass snob and never wear ANYTHING under $100. Raybans, Serengetis, Oakleys, Bucci, etc. Name it I probaby had it. I picked up a pair of wire framed Polarized sunglasses at Wal Mart one day for $20. Been the BEST glasses I have ever had. I now sport some $20 Mossimo polarized I got at Target and my $20 Wal Mart's. I gave my old Raybans to my bro... but I did keep my Oakleys for when I'm doing "active" stuff.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone summarize why polarized sunglasses are better than traditional (only dark) sunglasses?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Oakleys are the ultimate in sunglasses... iunno if the Oakley rep was just BS'ing, but i've seen it before, they almost practically do not alter the image at all when using them.
All other sunglasses (YES I MEAN ALL) has a thing called 'Prismatic Imbalance'. This means that the light bends as it enters the lens, altering either the X, Y, Z axis, usually a combination of all three. Oakley's have patented the only design that'll give perfect prismatic power in all three axes. If any other brand does it, they're infringing on an oakley patent.
If any of you have seen the 'laser' demonstration, you'd know aht im talking about. Two lasers are positioned behind a 'head' shaped mold, shooting through the eyes, and makes a single dot (The two lasers overlap) on a wall a couple meters away. When you put on any other kind of glasses, the laser will alter. If there is an imbalance on the X axis, the laser splits, and you dont see a single dot, you see two. On Y, the dots move up or down. You really cant tell with Z axis. Anyways, with the oakleys, the maintained perfect X balance, but Y was just ever so slightly off (a couple Millimeteres).
I have much more if anybody needs more convincing :D
No i do not work for oakley. I just sell them :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Oh, and about polarization.

Polarization of light means reflected light. Polarized sunglasses decrease the glare you see on the winshield, on other cars, etc.

So if you were to look onto a calm lake, and the water's perfectly flat, and it reflects the land, you wont see the reflection with polarized sunglasses.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I wear polorized Maui Jim's. I really like these sunglasses ($200.00)

Frank,

I have a box full of VentureII's i get from work. I wear them when working. I'm a union concrete finisher.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info on Oakley's.

Are there clip-on versions of Oakley lenses? My eye-sight is not the best, so there's no point dumping hundreds of $$$s on sunglasses that I can't see through anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread