What are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenneth Harden, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I will leave the definition totally up to you. If you are going with best bang for your buck, or best bar none, or anything else, fine, just say why the speakers were so good for you.

I have limited listening experience, but I heard some B&W 801's driven by Krell gear and the best B&W sub (three 15" woofers between the sub and speakers), and it was definetly a experience to say the least. This was in a $150,000 HT system I heard in LA at an audio store.

2. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

About 20 years ago. B&W 801's. They were driven with Carver Amps, bridged at 1500 watts/channel in 2 channel. The sound was simply amazing. It was the first time (and still the best) I ever heard imaging so precise I could close my eyes and locate the instruments on stage, not only left to right, but also front to back. Amazing! Of course, I was a poor college kid and couldn't afford them, probably still couldn't, truth be told.

Steve

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Aerial 20Ts (~25K/pr) biamped with all Theta gear - A Cassanova pre, and I believe a Dreadnaught II amp(s). I would definitely call this a humbling experience. [​IMG] The system, I believe was just under the $100K range, not including the room/treatments at a local shop.

4. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Magnepan 20.1's. The gear was all Spectral, which I don't consider to be a major factor, but the room was the definition of "proper". There wasn't a misplaced fiber in the acoustic treatment... and it showed.

I'm sure a lot of speakers would have sounded great, but 20.1's are what they had set up, and it was without doubt the best I've heard to date from two channels.

5. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

BOSE! LOLOLOL......LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

6. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

My top three favs:

Guarneri Homage
    Revel Salon
    (yes these two are VERY different, both impressive in their own ways)
    And, the one I'd really like to buy: ACI Talisman, other than live music, the Talisman was probably the most satisfying music experience I've yet had

7. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

For me a visit to a local high end store showed me just how great audio could get IF one has the big $$.. speakers were Revel Salon with all Mark Levinson amps/preamp.. yes fellas it was not even fair at all. Why did i walk into that room? [​IMG]

8. Matt Cwieka

Matt Cwieka Auditioning

martin logan clarity speakers driven by B&K pre-amp/amp setup... I forgot all the numbers, but all I know is is that I am a believer in electrostatic technology [​IMG]

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i'm stuck between amati hommage and utopia

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Dynaudios.

The Confidence C2 blew me away. I'd been impressed by the Revel Salons, but the dynaudios beat them hands down in presenation, and for significantly LESS money (just a cheapie 12k/pr [​IMG] ) Musical fidelity, overall way less than the Levinson and revel setup, and IMO, better. Different for sure, though, i can see why someone would take the revels instead.

Dynaudio Evidence Masters, but i was expecting the sun and the moon at 85k, so i wasn't as blown away when that's what i got [​IMG].

11. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

I'll concur with the Dynaudios and add the Totem Shamans driven by SimAudio W-6 mono amps.

12. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Bose wave Radio and WilSon Puppies close 2nd...
    [​IMG]

13. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

LOL. I like my Klipsch, I don't think I have heard anything better and to think it all started with my ProMedia system for my PC. The sound is something you don't hear everyday. It is an unusually warm/bright sound that I like very much...

Oh yeah I love Bose... $10 radioshack cones in a plastic box that pivets... Lifestyle systems include a 10watt amp for all 5 channels along with the best Acoustimess system ever. Such real heartpounding bass! It almost makes me shit my pants when I can tell where the sound is coming from... don't you agree?

14. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

On two-channel, probably the Thiel CS 2.4.

For HT, probably the Wilson Watt/Puppy System 7 (Watch center & surrounds).

15. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I don't think in terms of what is the best as I think there are too many types of sound presentations to go after, but I do keep a running log in my head of top five systems that I have heard.

In no particular order:
    1. Sound Lab M-1's driven by Air Tight ATM-2 amps and ATC-2 pre with an Accuphase DV-75

2. Jm Lab Alto Utopia BE's driven by all Boulder 2000 series equipment and fronted by an Accuphase SACD-100 and Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace

3. VMPS RM/X Elixir bi-amped by 4 Ampzilla 2000 mono's with a Marsh pre and Pioneer 47 player

4. Avantegarde Acoustic Duo 2.2's driven by an Art Audio Symphony II with a Hovland pre and BAT VK-D5 cd player

5. Magneplanar 3.6R's (haven't heard the 20.1's) driven by an Audio Research amp, LS-25Mk2 pre and CD-3 cd player

My system also belongs in this group, as for the qualities I prioritize it does everything these superb set-ups do, but it just doesn't have as deep of bass as most of the above. But since my speakers are 1/10th the size and alot easier on the wife to accept, it's ok by me. Besides 30Hz is nearly full-range. My system is also a fraction of the cost of three of the above systems, and proof that I am at my point of diminishing returns.

J.M. Reynaud Offrandes driven by an Art Audio Concerto Mk2, Granite Audio 770 pre, Sony S-7000 player and Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck.

16. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Contenders:

Talon Audio Firebirds... hooked up to SimAudio Moon electronics... the Talon products have to be heard to be believed... $$$$$$.

Joseph Audio Pearls... connected to Manley tube gear.

Dali Euphonia... (forgot the electronics).

Next week my answer might be different...

17. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    To all the Bose jokes......

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

George

18. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You think we're not being deadly serious here? [​IMG]

19. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I had the pleasure or hearing a pair of Adire Kosalas in a music only system. They were driven by all tube equipment and paired with an Adire Rava subwoofer. I heard CDs, SACDs and LPs through them. They were all great. Talk about the musicians "being there". I should mention that they were well away from any walls in a large room. I might have heard speakers that I would hae liked better, but they would have been in a retail outlet of some sort with all of the compromiss that go with that type of setting. Seeing how my listening room is much smaller, I don't know if I would like a pair of Kosalas as much in my room.

20. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I will have to say Revel Salons, and they look good too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]