What are the best speakers for $1,000 to $3,000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Witz, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Ryan Witz

Ryan Witz Auditioning

What are the best speakers for $1,000 to $3,000 because I have been looking and listening- there are the M&K THX Select speakers that sounded great but what about something like Paradigm's Legend 9 package ( I think its called That) with the Monitor 11s.

- Ryan
    Any Other suggestions for me

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

$1k to $3k for 5 speakers? 5 speakers and a sub?

3. Ryan Witz

Ryan Witz Auditioning

Yes five speakers and a sub

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    at that price range, there's a lot of choices. I have the Mission Cinema 8 series, comprising 782s at front, 78C centre and 78DS surrounds, with an SVS25-31PCi, which should be within the US$3K budget.

I believe many think highly of Definitive Technology's speakers, which come with built-in subs. as well as Energy's speakers.

What HiFi's winning package in that price class is from Mordaunt Short. at the lower level, the winner is the Acoustic Energy Evo Three set.

best? who knows. it's too subjective anyway. the important thing is to listen for yourself. if you like it, it's "best" to you.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Thats right the fun part is thr search, getting to look and listen in all the Audio shops, beware some of these places trick up their rooms. Shipping is almost too expensive to buy off the web (towers in particular) check out the stores return policy and see if you can demo in your own home. The 2 you mentioned are great for two different purposes, the M&Ks are great for HT, the Paridigms for music (great on HT too)
    You will get lots of input on this but remember thats only 1 persons opinion. . . Sounds like you have a lot of listening to do.
    Round up some known CDs and DVDs ant start at the High End places with speakers you know you cant afford, find those with excellent (PRO) reveiws and listen, then go down the price line trying to remember what you liked about the expensive guys, try to find the cheaper ones with those same qualitys.
    Remember All You Will Get Here is What Someone Else Likes. It is good to have a starting point however, once you funnel it down to a few models then you can ask for specifac info on that brand/model. . .

6. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

heres a link
    Paradigm System 8
    I'm a paradigm fan so don't listen to me but Sound&Vision has a good rep.

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have owned the Paradigm system linked to, however I did not own the Di-pole rears and didnt buy it as a package.
    Paridigm builds great sounding speakers, You need high quality amps to get the best from them, once there you are doing about as good as you can do at any price period.

8. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

I just put together a new system made up of B&W 600 Series and an SVS that came in right at $3K once it was wired. It consists of :

B&W 603s3 X 2
    B&W 600s3 X 1
    B&W 601s2 X 2
    SVS 25 31 PCi

It was worth every penny and I am not left wanting.

-- John

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Check out the rave review of the Monitor Bronze speakers in the current issue of DVD, ETC. MSRP = $1576 for 5 speakers plus sub. The author states that they are way ahead of the rest of their class sonically and they also look beautiful.

10. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I will throw in the usual Axiom recommendation epic 80 system for $2413.00 here.
    epic 80

11. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I second the Axiom suggestion but with a SVS sub..

12. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the Axioms with an svs sub or two...[​IMG]