What Are The Best Sounding Surround Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-K, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

A) Who make the best sounding surrounds?

1)Also, how important is it for them to be of the same mfr. as my main three fronts? 2)Do bipolar surround make a difference or are std. bookshelfs OK?

Many people seem to like the Definitive's, what do you like?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A) WAY too general and subjective of a question for anyone to really answer, to be honest with you.

1) YES, timbre matching all your speakers is a very good thing to do. That does not mean speaker manufacturer A's surrounds will not work well with mfg B's mains. Going with one manufacturer, and one product line is just the easiest way to insure there is a good match.

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

He who makes the best sounding speakers makes the best sounding surround speakers. There is no special quality to a speaker to make it particularly suitable as a surround, unless you are limiting your question to multipolar speakers. Specify a price range and you'll get more specific replies.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I can only say that my Energy Veritas 2.0R are the best sounding for me. They are some of the most versatile speakers out there. They can be set for bipolar, dipole and corner base on your room setup.

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

deleted

7. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

timbre matched dipoles is probably the text book answer.

-rob

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

How could they be timbre matched?
    It's radiating pattern simply won't allow it to be matched.

9. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm with Rob, I don't understand either. Timbre describes the overall sound characteristics of a speaker, often referred to as "voice" of a speaker. This will not be affected by radiating pattern (regardless of monopole, di/bi, etc...) because it is a physical property which has to do with driver materials, size and design, crossover network used, cabinet construction, etc...

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well then let me explain![​IMG]
    While you're right that "timbre" is referred to the sound characteristics of the speaker's "voicing",the radiation pattern will be off axis since the drivers are facing different position of the listener,unlike your mains,which more or less aimed at him.So even that the drivers are carefully selected with the same xover design,you mostly getting reflected sound from these speakers,which would hardly match the sound of the direct sound from your mains.
    While this indeed doesn't change the timbre of the speakers,the listener will percieve it as such.
    I gues i should have explained this more clearly at the begining.

12. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

This is an interesting discussion. Good points made. Here is a link to Rocket's adaptive-dipole surrounds. Also, here is what is listed for a write up:

13. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

The sound that reaches your ears will NEVER be exactly the same even with 5 or 7 direct radiating speakers, because of room reflections/seating position/ear shape/ect... Seems only reasonable to at least START with speakers that are timbre matched, and if you like diffuse theater-like sound use dipoles.
    If speakers are not timbre matched because of how their radiation pattern reflects off room surfaces, then NO speakers can be timbre matched outside an anechoic chamber. Maybe so, but we might as well get as close as possible, yes?[​IMG]

14. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Colin,

I think you've got the idea down about the differences between direct radiating surrounds, dipoles, and bipole surrounds.

From your original post it seems you're looking for different models to look at in general.

I'm a Boston Acoustics guy, so I'll recomend the VRMX Surrounds. They can go direct, or swap them and go diffuse. The have incrediable sound, dual 1" tweeters and Active/Passive bass drivers. I've demoed them many times, but am yet to finally bring a pair home. The VR-M line makes very accurate sound playback, but the VRMX do carry an $800 MSRP price tag.

Just one model to throw on the table for you, hopefully others will list some other surround that they find to be the best in thei own opinions. I would also recomend ensuring a timbre match by buying the same manufacturer, or a speaker with similar design, and an in home test period from your salespeople so you can ensure a good match, and return them if they don't work out.

15. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    For most of the Movie sound-tracks I'd say it doesn't matter. Its mostly effects that a single full range speaker could handle "alright".

Now, before ya'll jump on me, this is a complete generalization and certainly doesn't fit every movie exact. For instance, LOTR exercised my rears far more than most of the other movies I've watched. So even here it "could" be important as mixes get more complex and enveloping.

For the musical side in my opinion is where you really want the same "line" at a minimum. You don't want a speaker with completely different character when listening to DVD-A or SACD.

Thats my opinion and YMMV considerably.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

18. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

That's not my quote, Lewis. That's Onix Rocket's quote. [​IMG]

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

While the Rocket dipole looks great and is priced even better, I see a potential problem in that the crossover is rather high-ish at 3800 or so(like the mains, if I recall correctly). If you're looking for the generally diffuse radiation pattern of a dipole, most of the Rocket 300'ssound will be bipolar in nature....up to 3800 hz or so. Personally, I'd prefer at least another 1000hz if I was looking for a dipole.

20. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer