What are the best sounding DVD-A titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TrevorST, Jan 18, 2003.

1. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a DVD-A player and have listened to R.E.M and Fleetwood Mac Rumours so far. What do you sugest for other titles that sound great. I am not a fan of surround music that puts instruments where they should not be but rather good airy sound quality. Having said that creative use of surround on the right tracks can be great (Some of Pink Floyds music for example).

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Trevor, here are my favorite DVD-Audio discs for both stereo and surround sound:

* Eagles Hotel California
    * Steely Dan Two Against Nature
    * Metallica Metallica
    * America Homecoming
    * Elvis Presley Elv1s
    * Queen A Night at the Opera

Fleetwood Mac Rumours is a winner as well.

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Airy sound quality, as in natural room acoustics?
    Buena Vista Social Club. It's Cuban music. A lot of good tracks, very festive music. Comes with a very informative booklet too (with English translations of the lyrics) as well as a 10-minute documentary on the musicians.
    It is recorded in 4.0, I believe, but it's all natural sounding. No gimmicks, just great surround sound. In fact, I'm playing it right now! It's snowing outside, but I'm in Cuba as far as I'm concerned [​IMG]
    -JNS

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Queen: A Night at the Opera

Beethoven's 6th Symphony / Resphigi: Pines of Rome, from AIX records

Queensryche: Empire

Bach Concertos, Vol II from Tacet records

Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery

Nitty Gritty Surround, AIX records

Yes: Fragile

5. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I am a big fan of Tigerlilly, by Natalie Merchant. If you want definition and air around the instruments this is the one. My favorite DVD-A so far.

Wayne

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Also check out:

Neil Young Harvest
    Metallica Metallica
    The Doors L.A. Woman
    Grover Washington Winelight

Honestly I have yet to buy a DVD-A where I have been very disappointed. The surround tracks on some are not my cup of tea, but as long as they have the original stereo track as well, they are usually worth the purchase. The general consensus around here is probably to avoid titles put out by Silverline, since they are usually surround only, and contain weird selections of music (live tracks, alternate takes, etc.). I am tempted to try out their Marley titles though, just to get some Hi-res Raggae.

J

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

9. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Well, slowly making out of bed after several days of not so fun back pain. No time for a protracted reply as my computer time is limited.
    There have been some great suggestions for titles so far, to which I'll add:
    Donald Fagen The Nightfly a splendid example of how good an early digital era recording could sound.
    Linda Ronstadt What's new great recording by George Massenburg (even if I botched the spelling of his name) he did the original stereo and surround mixes. This is an all analog beauty.
    Zephyr Voices Unbound Another one of Mark Waldrep's great recordings. You're in the midst of a 14 member a capella vocal group. Uncanny circular presentation, and in case you're wondering, this is how they were arranged for the recording.
    Back to bed for me!
    Regards,

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Brian L,
    I tend to be a lot less picky with rock mixes than other kinds of music. With something like Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, or Mozart, I listen very carefully and get all serious about what they're doing to *my* special music. With rock, especially metal, I go for the "fun" mixes.
    The Queensryche disc has lots of stuff in the back, but it's not like things fly out at you randomly. It's, well... surround. [​IMG]
    I just like it a lot, even for just the stereo track.
    Oh man, what I wouldn't do for a Mindcrime on DVD-A...
    At least we have the DVD concert with a surround mix.

13. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

The stereo track on "Harvest" is probably still my favorite, man that sounds terrific!
    As far as multi channel - "The Nightfly" followed by "What's New" as a very close second.

14. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Al,
    I take it you aren't enamored with the MC tracks on Harvest eh?
    I know I'm somewhat disappointed, so I use the stereo track and apply Trifield. Schweet!
    Regards,

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian L,
    I have been holding out on the Queensryche Empire disc on the basis of price. While Warner DVD-Audio discs are readily available for $15, Empire, as an EMI disc, is still $20 or more. I seem to recall Best Buy selling Empire for $25. [​IMG]
    All,
    How is the stereo track on the Empire DVD-Audio disc? Has anyone compared it to the DCC gold CD? I don't have the DCC CD, but I figured that would be a good comparison to share.
    Justin,
    Good call on the L.A. Woman disc. I left that one out. I also left out Brain Salad Surgery and Tigerlilly since they lack discrete stereo tracks. However, the surround-sound tracks sound mighty good. [​IMG]
    John said:

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Keith,

I know you are a fan of Steely Dan, so do yourself a favor and pick up a DVD-A copy of The Nightfly. It sounds great.

I would love more Steely Dan on high-res. The above Fagen title and Two Against Nature are great recordings, but I want more (especially Aja).

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Personally I find the "Empire" disc to be problably the most dissapointing surround mix I've ever heard (and I have about 20 DTS discs as well as a few DVD-As and SACDs). They could have done a lot more with the mix than they did, the music is very dense and spreading the instruments out would have gone a long way. Adding "ambiance" in the rears is a misuse of multichannel, and that's about all that "Empire" has to offer. You can do that with a good stereo mix. This disc is a huge dissapointment as far as I'm concerned.
    To hear what DVD-A is capable of, I personally suggest the following titles that I've been happy with:
    Donald Fagan: The Nightfly
    Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
    Yes: Fragile
    Queen: A Night At The Opera
    Barenaked Ladies: Maroon

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It matters only because I've been holding back on that DTS purchase in anticipation of a SACD release!

(But I agree on the excellentness of the Red Book remaster!)