what are the best Parametric EQs for SVS subs..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Jul 2, 2002.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have big peaks in my room at about 45-50 Hz and about 90Hz, and want to get rid of them. Is the BFD 1124 the way to go (how easy is it to set up??), others????

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I use a BFD for my DIY Tempest, so that is the only one I have experience with. I thought it was very easy to setup and integrate in my system. Plus since there are alot of users here, there is alot of reference material if you run into trouble.

The hardest part for me was getting good room measurements. Once that was done, making the necessary adjustments on the BFD was a snap.

Also, I was getting too much HF bleed-through into the sub due to the older Yamaha receiver's crossover(temporary pre-amp)and the BFD's numerous channels(12)and ability to set very wide ranges let me totally eliminate that problem.

The price is sure right, too.

Good Luck,
    DJ

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Thanx David, do you get room readings by playing a demo disc and using as RS SPL meter??? If so, what disc do you prefer??

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

You can burn your own. One sixth octave is the minimal increment that works, but you can make one that has HZ by HZ or every other. One trick is to burn a disc where the track number is the frequency.

5. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a BFD and installed it into my system. This thing works great for subs and it's easy to use. I paid $125 shipped from Zzsounds.
    Here is a link to help with the setup. You can also get Excel worksheet on a sub setup and sine wave files.
    http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm
    TedO

6. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

How do I burn my own disc? Do I need a special program?

7. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I use a BFD also. I don't think its the *best* but it sure did the trick in my room. For test material I bought the autosound 2000 CD that Tom Vodhanel suggested. It has 1hz increments from 10-98hz. That makes it a little more flexible than the Stryke disk others will likely recommend.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Nick - Do you happen to have an online source for that Autosound CD?

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm not sure if there's any more available but I just got my BFD from a group buy here Well worth the minimal cost IMO

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Thanks Tom!

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I've tried the BFD (1124P) as well as the Rane EQ. With my subs (Stryke HE15.2ish designs) I didn't notice an audible difference between the two units. At higher (1kHz+) frequencies the Rane was clearly superior. In terms of adjustment the Rane is more intuitive but a small turn of the knob results in a large change. The BFD is somewhat confusing but is very precise once you figure out how to enter each filter. Check out this link for BFD help. Finally, the BFD is about 50% of the cost of the Rane EQ...