What's new

What are the best movies to try out my new sound system on? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
(edit: How did someone get a post ahead of mine, when I started the topic??? That's funny)
I haven't paid attention to the audio part of the reviews before, always knowing that someday I would get a nice surround sound system to take advantage. Well, that day is only a couple days away from arriving, and in my giddy excitement I'm getting together my list of DVD's to try out on it.
I'm thinking my first choices might be:
1. Lord of the Rings
2. Moulin Rouge
What are your suggested top 10 lists? What movies should I watch or rewatch to enjoy the sound?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The first thing that will come to your mind for testing a sound system is an agressive soundtrack. That's fine, but you'll also want to test out subtle sound...which is, IMO, more effective.

I reccomend Superman: The Movie...lots of agressive parts, plenty of subtle sound.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
(edit: How did someone get a post ahead of mine, when I started the topic??? That's funny)
I wondered that myself. I would have just deleted my post altogether, but I don’t have the authority. Perhaps an administrator will just remove my post.
Even so, check out the DVD. The depth charges alone will let you know about your sub. :D

Louis C

Supporting Actor
"Shrek" has a very impressive DTS sountrack and a lot of well-mixed music.

I think there is already a FAQ in the Home Theater Basics area for this. It may not list some of the newer DVD releases that are worth trying, though.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The Fast and the Furious - Highly agressive and dynamic.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - has both agressive and subtle moments, not as much on the gimicky side (which can be a good thing).

The Prince of Egypt - Agressive surround use (not gimicky though, the surround effects bring you more into the film rather then draw unecessary attention to themselves). Great music track.

Just curious, what did you get? Congrats on your purchase.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
- Gladiator
- A Bug's Life
- Titan AE
- Vertical Limit
- Lord Of The Rings
- Toy Story 2

and many others. Try a rearch using "best sound dvd" and you should pull up some other threads on this topic.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
- Lord of the Rings
- Black Hawk Down
- Fast and the Furious
- Saving Private Ryan
- U-571
- Training Day
- Blade II
- Behind Enemy Lines

and many more.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Phantom Menace- extremely aggressive surrounds and dynamic as well. Reference quality sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks