1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best 5 disc CD player for around $1000?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by james e m, Jul 13, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm looking to buy a new CD player and I really love having a 5 disc player. I know the Sony ES 222 and 555 are great players but I am looking for other options. What about the Rotel RCC-1055? I am looking for CD playback only.
    Thanks!
    James
    ps I tried the search function, but it was down and sorry for the mistakes in the post heading. I've got jet lag!

2. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

Why in the hell would you spend that much on a 5-disk CD player?

Johnny

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

4. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

Oh sorry, I didn't realize people still listened to CDs.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Hmm...

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

well, useless comments aside, i've always seen the cal (california audio labs) cl-10 listed as "the" changer to have if you're strictly looking for redbook performance. you can find them on the used market for around $600-$800. check audiogon as i'm sure there are a few of them there.

kevin t

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Johnny,

Why are you here?

James,

Kevin is right in that the Cal Audio CL-10 is often regarded as the best CD changer ever made. I've read that numerous times on Audio Asylum. Rotel, Arcam, and Anthem have also made quality changers over the years, and as you said, Rotel currently as a model on the market. I haven't heard, but I'm sure it's a solid player. I'd have to think that a comparably priced single-disc player would be better, however.

If you are willing to buy used, I think the Sony 'C555ES would be your best bet. It's an excellent CD player, and of course, it plays SACDs too. Build quality is first-rate too. You should be able to find one used for $500-700, which is a great price when you consider that it originally retailed for $1700.

The 'C222ES, while not as good in any area as the 'C555ES in my experience, is also an excellent buy. You should be able to score one new for $350 through Oade Bros., J&R Music World, or OneCall.

7. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the information guys, except for you johnny. I was told to look into California Audio, so I've been trying to research them but I can't find their homepage. Does anybody have the link?
    James

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I'll second Keith's recommendation on the Sony 555ES, if you can find one. The unit is built like a tank, and I am still amazed at the audio quality of the component at its price point (I paid $600 for a new unit). It does not have the harsh "digital sound" of the DACs in my old entry level CD carousel or my Pioneer Elite receiver.

9. Jane Spellman

Jane Spellman Auditioning

California Audio Labs (CAL) is out of biz. For this reason, I would demand a very low price on a used unit. Not sure how you might get this repaired.

FWIW, I own the Sony 222es and I could not be happier. The 555 sounds better but not radically so. I am still amazed at how good the 222es sounds on redbook. Does anyone know if the 222es upsamples the redbook 16/44 to DSD?

If so, this might explain the excellent redbook performance.

10. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I had a Cal Audio Icon Mk II for several years and loved it. If you can find a Cal 5-disc changer in good condition, go for it. I never had an issue with my Icon.
    My secondary recommendation would be Rotel. Either the 955 (recently discontinued) or the new 1055. The 1055 retails for, I believe, $700. I don't know if there is any difference between the 955 and 1055, except a change in model number and a $100 bump up in price.
    Third on my list is the Sony 555, but only if you are really interested in SACD.

11. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Are there any new 5 disc cd players out that I should check out?

James

12. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Are there any new 5 disc cd players out that I should check out?

James

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

14. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor