What's new

What are the best 1950's TV show Themes? (1 Viewer)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
So here in our local community theatre, we're producing "Laughter on the 23rd Floor" by Neil Simon. The director wants a lot of original themes from 50's TV shows, including, of course "Your Show of Shows". As I'm in charge of all things technical in this theatre, it falls to me to get all this stuff together and make the soundtrack for the show. I was thinking that I might want to throw in some commercials from Television of that time perhaps.

I wasn't alive in the 50's, and my knowledge of TV from that era is a bit limited, So what I'm looking for from ya'll is: what do you think are the best TV themes and/or commercials that you can think of from this era, and do you know where I can get them (on a Community Theatre Budget). I appreciate any help you might give. (If you post something that I use, I'll get you tickets to a show of your choice, you just have to get yourself to Montana.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Casey,

I would try some of the Television's Greatest Hits recordings for the themes. There are commercials from several decades. Some of these are from the 1950s. Here is information on the recordings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television%27s_Greatest_Hits

For television commercials, I own the TV Commercials: The Ultimate Collection (2008) set. This collection includes 613 television commercials spanning many different genres and years. Here is information on the collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Commercials-Collection-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B0018ODXWO/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280425751&sr=1-2

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I can remember many of the '50s shows but I can't recall most of the music themes other than Bonanza (end of the decade), Have Gun - Will Travel, CBS Reports and Dragnet. Others like 77 Sunset Strip were catchy but not memorable.

Your Show of Shows was my favorite program but its' theme eludes me.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I've managed to run down a whole pile of show themes, and commercials on youtube. That's helping out quite a bit. Abbot & Costello Show, Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Dragnet, I married Joan, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Ozzie & Harriett, My Little Margie, The Danny Thomas Show, The Real McCoys, Topper, the Life of Riley, The lone Ranger (of Course), Bachelor Father, Amos & Andy, and December Bride. I'm gonna look at getting a couple of these other ones you mentioned Garrett. That should give me a pretty good set, along with the whole boatload of commercials I've found, and I've got a few short comedy acts by famous figures in the 50's like Abbot & Costello, Brooks & Reiner, Woody Allen and Sid Caeser. That ought to put together a pretty good compiliation.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Technically, a mini-series, but the theme to the Davy Crockett episodes on the Walt Disney show in the 50s was very memorable. Peter Gunn theme song by Henry Mancini was very good as well. I also liked the theme to Bonanza, which was actually sung by the four main characters at the end of the first episode, IIRC.

harryden

Auditioning
Real Name
Harry Den
I think Wagon Train and Victory at Sea is best 1950's Tv Show theme.I love most tv shows because now i am also big fan of the USA Tv Shows.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I had never heard the Victory at Sea theme before, and it's pretty good. I've been fairly impressed at how many of these themes are sans-voice over, which is totally the norm nowadays, or at least a lyrically driven theme song.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseyL I had never heard the Victory at Sea theme before, and it's pretty good.

That might be because the music for the entire series was written by Richard Rodgers and scored by Robert Russell Bennett.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Other iconic themes from fifties tv shows would include Rawhide, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and The Untouchables. In addition to Peter Gunn, Henry Mancini also composed a memorable theme for the 1959-1960 show Mr. Lucky. The theme to The Twilight Zone also would qualify, as it premiered in the fall of 1959. Most people would also recognize the theme to Perry Mason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks