What's new

What are some of your taped treasures never on video? (1 Viewer)

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
The original "Not of this Earth", HBO's "National Lampoon's Disco Beaver from Outer Space".

and one that got erased...
the Tomlin/Travolta classic "Moment by Moment" :frowning:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I checked; it was last issued on vhs in the U.S. back in 1993 (very limited quantities). It has been on dvd for some years...in Europe and Asia. Apparently the Asian dvd will play on Region 1--according to ebay vendors who are selling it, anyway. I might go ahead and get it since America never seems to make obscure American movies available in America.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

And your comments are useless to this thread since we are supposedly talking movies "never released on video", not movies that you want on DVD. If you want to talk about how useless VHS releases are, that's another topic for another thread.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

The 1958 film with Kim Stanley? Good movie and definitely worth seeking out if it's being shown on TV, but it was released on video by RCA-Columbia so it's really not a "never on video" treasure.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Spider's Stratagem ,Shown on IFC full frame but way better than
New Yorker Tape
Cat Stevens BBC In Concert

countless early Warner Catoons ,which they way they are releasing them
it could be 20 years before they are on dvd(if theres even dvd then)

Little Giant :should have been in Last ER collection
The Fugitive:should have been in one of those Ford Boxs!!!

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
What I wouldn't give for a lovely DVD edition of:

5 Graves to Cairo

I've got a so-so copy taped off of… something or another many many years ago.

Just as an FYI, I take the header statement of "never on video" to equate to "never on LD or DVD" — I've never considered VHS to be anything but a temporary storage medium (and believe it or not, I've never once purchased or rented a tape…).

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Whoops, should've revisited the entire thread title (the "never on video" part). Yes, it's the '58 film. That Columbia tape was never issued at a sell-through price, and now you have to fork over a small treasure to buy it.

There may be some more good stuff on TCM in February and early March, but I haven't examined some of the titles for which they haven't posted plot/year-of-release info yet.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Well, considering the header of this thread includes the word "taped treasures" - that pretty much indicates taping movies *on VHS* that never had an official release in any format. Just that you want to ignore a format that was the primary video format for over 20 years by calling it a "temporary storage medium" doesn't mean VHS was not video. Give me a break.

Anyway, if you just want to turn this into another simple "I want this on DVD" thread, go ahead. How many of those do we really need?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I agree with Jeff. This thread is about films that have never been released on any home video format - PERIOD. Not just formats that you didn't like or didn't participate in. The list of films is a completely different one, and as Jeff already stated, there are million threads titled "I want this on DVD".

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator

No… you give ME a break.

Considering that I DID specifically state I had a TAPED (i.e., videotaped) copy of 5 Graves to Cairo -- which to my knowledge has yet to be released on any home video format -- my post does fit within the "videotape-only requirement" you are rigorously imposing on everyone who dares post in this thread. And please forgive me for daring to hope that 5 Graves to Cairo may someday receive an official release in a higher-resolution format.

Aside from that film, I also still have several other film-chained or taped-off-the-air copies of films that have yet to be released on any home video format. So no, I am hardly "ignoring a primary video format." But you are.

Laserdiscs have been around nearly as long as VHS/Beta, and waaaay back in 1980, some of us chose LDs over the various taped-based systems -- at least as a method of building our own video libraries. That was the choice I made after seeing my first demo of the laserdisc system in late-1979/early-1980. While pre-recorded videotapes were available in 1980, they were essentially a rental-only market at the time with retail prices exceededing $100. On the other hand, when LDs were introduced in 1980, they already offered a higher-quality product at lower prices ($10-$20). The first affordable sell-through VHS release didn't occur until late-1982 (Thanksgiving, if I remember correctly) with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan at $39.95… and by that time I already had a pretty substantial LD library. Sure, I had a VHS deck as well, but I used it mainly for time-shifting or the temporary recording of movies until such a time there were released on LD here in the US or Japan (which is why I said it was, to me, a "temporary storage medium").

So no, I never said ANTHING about VHS not being video -- you are just making presumptions. Of course VHS is video, as is Beta, LD, DVD, CED or VCord I/II. (Anyone else remember the VCord system, or still have their Sanyo or Toshiba unit?) But disc-based formats are are much "video" as tape-based formats, have been around nearly as long, and were far more affordable. I was only stating my own personal preference of not enjoying viewing movies on early generation, low resolution, 1/2-inch tape-based consumer formats -- yes, even though I had/have tapes. And the same is true for many people here on the HTF, where "never on video" translates as "never released on LD." And for the younger generation who first got in to home video with DVD, "never on video" for them translates as "never released on DVD."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
"Five Graves to Cairo" is availble on VHS. It's one of only a few remaining VHS that I'm holding on to. It's a proper studio release from Universal and sits along side my video of "The Major & The Minor" with all of my other Billy Wilder films.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Thanks for the history of homevideo and laserdisc.

So, young people who don't know anything about history can now dictate that VHS never existed because the word 'video' doesn't include that format anymore because it was substandard and a long time ago. These young people think "never on video" means "never on DVD" because VHS was yucky and around before they were born. So I guess that proves you want this thread to be just another "never on DVD" thread. I give up.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Jeff Krispow:

I am sorry if I came off as a bit rude or condescending (I can be that way sometimes). It really wasn't necessary. This should always remain a free forum of discussion and debate. I tried to correct some previous posts from members, and maybe came off as a bit rude, but I was just trying to keep this unique thread focused and on target since I really find it interesting how many films never even had a VHS release and what some of those are that have been recorded off the air since no other source existed. I even passed up correcting a couple of titles in a few recent posts that were released on VHS just because I didn't want to keep coming off as so anal (yes, I am). Anyway, I hope there's no hard feelings. I'll try to be more civil in the future, although I have been known to go off the edge somewhat quickly! Need meds - now!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I apologize for reading this thread late and not interceding when things got a little testy, but it's really not necessary to be rude to others. If there is a problem with any thread, please use the report the post function so tempers can remain in check without any unnecessary arguments. Some good information is being shared here and like the thread's title suggests, we should be discussing films that's never been released on any video format which includes video tape.

Crawdaddy

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And while we're all apologetic here, I'll apologize for being one of the first in this thread to go off track. My suggestion of NIGHT OF THE COMET came from a genuine forgetting of the fact that the film did have a VHS release. Since I come from the LaserDisc world, I too tend to forget about films that had genuine releases on VHS. For me, buying a pan'n'scan tape to replace a homemade pan'n'scan tape wasn't an option, so there were some "official" releases that escaped me.

Again, I meant no disrespect for the thread starter, nor those who wanted a good list of films that had no official releases.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks