What's new

What are some of your favorite 'music' quotes? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Without music, life would be a mistake. - Nietzche

Music expresses that which cannot be said on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

Music can name the un-nameable and communicate the unknowable. - Leonard Bernstein

Music is well said to be the speech of angels; in fact, nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so dive. It brings us near to the infinite. - Thomas Carlyle

Some of yours are?

Elinor

Supporting Actor
"If music be the food of love, play on" -- Shakespeare

I'm not sure what it means but it sounds very deep :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." I can't remember who said that.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast (or beast) - not sure which is accurate, but from Shakespeare.

Architecture in general is frozen music - Schelling. Sort of about music, anyway :)

BTW, neat idea for a thread

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
"Rock and roll can be dangerous and fun at the same time." - Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

"If music is dying, musicians are killing it. Composers are the ones decomposing it. We are as responsible as anyone--although we'd love not to admit it. We lash out at "The Industry", blaming things like corporate structure for our shitty music--but we are the ones making it." -Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Dillinger Escape Plan, Fantomas, Tomahawk) (Read this piece for more: http://www.rickywolking.com/html/diary.htm )

"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, nirvana means freedom from pain, suffering and the external work, and that's pretty close to my definition of punk rock." -Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

"Music is for you and me, not the fucking industry." -Biohazard (from their song "Business")

"Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution." -AC/DC (from the song of the same name)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Wagner's music is better than it sounds. - Mark Twain

True music must repeat the thought and inspirations of the people and the time. My people are Americans and my time is today. - George Gershwin

You're talking to someone who really understands rock music. - Tipper Gore (wife of former VP Al Gore who had stated that he invented the internet)

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Songs are to a man what crying is to a baby, they communicate the unspeakable with sound. - Wayne Coyne, The Flaming Lips

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Trite, overdone, and utterly cliche now, but: "If it's too loud, you're too old."

"I make music because I love to make music, not because I care about other people's reactions to it." - Todd Wilkinson of Team Sleep

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
From Frank Zappa's "Packard Goose" (Joes Garage):

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best...

NeilTHI

Agent
'I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live'
Keith Richards, The Rollling Stones

'What we do is what we've always done, drinking, doing drugs and looking for girls' Julian Casablancas, The Strokes.

'Madonna had very soft lips. Kissing a woman is quite pleasant'
Christina Aguilera

'I’ve never used an iron or washing machine. I consider myself a good wife, but life’s too short to cook when you can order take out’s.'
Jessica Simpson

These are from thisdayinmusic.com they have loads of good ones!;)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"I go back so far I'm in front of me!" - Paul McCartney's "The World Tonight", from the album "Flaming Pie"

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"I didn't know Buffalos had wings" - Jessica Simpson Not exactly music related, but the other JS quote reminded me of that incredible IQ she has.

"If you don't believe drugs have done some good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, take all your tapes and all your CDs and burn 'em. Because you know what? The musicians that have made all that great music that has enhanced your lives througout the years....REAL f*ing high on drugs." - Unknown - excerpt from Tool's Third Eye

mike caronia

Second Unit
The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men lie like dogs. There is also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson

gregD

Second Unit
Frank Zappa:

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid"

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It's 'breast' and it's not Shakespeare, but William Congreve (rather later than Shakespeare - late 17th/early 18th century) from a play called The Mourning Bride.

mike caronia

Second Unit
wow, i post a quote from a guy and then he kills himself later that day.
i'll stick to posting once a year. freaky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks