What's new

What are some of your favorite IFTTT recipes? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I've been playing with this app a little more as I get comfortable with it. I wish the app had more channels quite honestly but here are a few of mine:If there's a new ny times article in any section, then send to pocketIf there's updates to nhl or nfl from ESPN, then send to pocketIf there is a new hot topic in reddit/today I learned, then send to pocketAutomatically congratulate your LinkedIn connections on new jobs - haven't had the chance to test this yetIf there is a new LinkedIn contact, add contact info to google drive - haven't seen this in action yet either. That's all mine for now. I wish there was an Engadget/verge or other tech news channels that I could simply automatically send to pocket. Thus saving me the step of marking each new article in feedly. I like the concept of changing Phillips hue lighting automatically to match the album art of the song that's playing but I don't have a Phillips hue. What are your favorites?I put this in the apple forum but there is of course an android IFTT App as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can somebody fix the header?IFTTTAnd it works with WeMo. I'm in the middle of deciphering the "what can it do" based on locational sharing in the home...As in can it integrate so that when I'm 1/2 mile from home...can it kick in the furnace/ac without involvement from me?(Currently I have to go into an app. If this automates what I have already...)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
schan1269 said:
Can somebody fix the header?IFTTTAnd it works with WeMo. I'm in the middle of deciphering the "what can it do" based on locational sharing in the home...As in can it integrate so that when I'm 1/2 mile from home...can it kick in the furnace/ac without involvement from me?(Currently I have to go into an app. If this automates what I have already...)
It should be able to if you have compatible equipment i.e.. WeMo switches for a portable AC unit for example. Actually I thought I saw a preset recipe that did exactly that.

You could also do this with NFC tags if you have an Android device I would imagine, but if you want to activate before you got home you would need location services.

I've added some NASA updates to Pocket. Also an iOS notification if it's going to be clear tomorrow and reminder to go outside! (I live in Vancouver. It rains here.) lol

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a LG G3. I've experimented with Soft Card(was Isis Wallet) and Google Wallet (they should just merge). Several bars/restaurants have web-based juke boxes and I can sync my Spotify to some of them. One bar here(lots of weekend lunches) uses GW. My bill is paid without having to do anything(other than opening the app). If either worked everywhere...I'd be happy.To this. I care not for Twitter/Facebook(lucky to glance at it twice a week).But if it merged location with home automation...I'm in.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
ok well I figured out how to use the "feed" channel and am setting up feeds from my favourite regularly checked websites to go directly to my pocket. This lets me:

Sit back and not worry about adding them manually
Have a ton of content available to read offline (ie. while on the train on the way to work) and not use up data
Or even use pocket to surf the web - a simple unencumbered reader with no ads or comments or other "noise".

Going to test this out during the week, but I have high hopes!

I'd love to set it up with home automation as well but I have no smart devices in my house. Please let me know if you are able to make this work for home automation. If so, I'm all in, and have some shopping to do!

What home automation devices do you have thus far? or Perhaps that subject is worth it's own thread all by itself!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Sory guys,

Give this app a try. I think you'll like it.

The app is called "IFTTT" or "IF This Then That". Available on both IOS and Android

It took me a bit to figure out what it is, because of the terms it uses. This simply allows you to carry out a set of instructions on the internet.

I've been playing with it for a bit today and have built a couple of instructions

1. Whenever an RSS feed to any website is updated, send that article to my Pocket app for reading later. Some of the feeds I've done this with include MacRumors, National Geographic Photo of the day, The Big Picture photos, What's new on Netflix (both Canada and US versions), The Province (my local paper), NY Times, Howard Forums, etc...

2. Whenever I like a picture on Instagram, it copies the picture to dropbox for viewing later, and I can set up my screen saver on my mac to pull and shuffle from that dropbox folder.

3. Whenever someone posts a new wallpaper matching a certain dimensions (2880x1800 for my MBP) to the subreddit "wallpaper" , it saves it to my dropbox and I set my desktop wallpaper to shuffle through that particular folder

4. If I receive a new Gmail attachment, it will automatically get saved to my dropbox

5. If one of my linked in contacts gets a new job, IFTTT will automatically congratulate them.

6. Any new updates from Environment Canada get sent as a Notification (Environment Canada is more accurate here than any of the US based weather sites)

7. Any new hot topics from the subreddit "Today I Learned" get sent to Pocket

8. LinkedIn job suggestions get sent to pocket, or email. There's a way to do this with Indeed as well, but it doesn't work for indeed.ca.

9. When I arrive in NYC I will receive an email with the subway map (we're talking about a trip there)

10. Any email marked "receipt" or "order" in my gmail will get deposited in my evernote.

There's a lot more you can do with it, including interact with WeMo switches, so lets say if your location is close to home, you can turn on the lights and AC, etc.

I found an article from PC Magazine that has 101 suggestions for IFTTT. It's from earlier this year but still works.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2458466%2c00.asp

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's "Pocket" and why do you send everything to it?

I've heard of IFTTT, but can't figure out any use for it (that fits my usage). For example, I don't know why I'd want to make an algorithm to have a map emailed to me based on GPS data. Isn't it easier to just go the App Store and download Google Maps?

I think it's cool that people make these 'recipes' to do neat things automatically. But I can't quite figure out the benefit besides the fun of it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks