What are some of your favorite cookbooks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Alsup, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey everyone,

I'm curious which cookbooks you like. I love to cook and I have several cookbooks, but I'm always on the lookout for more. So, which books do you like?

Also, can you guys recomend some good websites that have cooking content (other than foodtv.com). I'm not after recipies so much as discussion of which cookware is good, and cooking methods and stuff like that.

Man, I wish there was a forum for cooking that was 1/100 as good as this one!!!

Thanks,

Marshall

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Sorry, wish I could help you.

But you know, this thread can potentially be awesome. Hell, I love to cook. But sadly, I own no cookbook and only have my mom's recipes.

3. andrew markworthy

The best single cookbook I have is by Jane Grigson, called 'English Food' (I've just checked and it's available from e.g. Amazon). If nothing else, it should dispel the myth that the Brits can't cook. Until a generation or so ago, eating out was a relative rarity in Britain and often seen as vaguely decadent or sinful unless it was cheap. Hence the plethora of superb fish and chip shops and dearth of good restaurants. Good cookery was largely confined to the home, and this book collects together some of the best of these 'domestic' recipes, and not a sun-dried tomato in sight, thank goodness. Try the Sussex Pond Pudding in it - one of the world's most neglected desserts.

The other books by Jane Grigson are also safe bets.

The only other book I rely on on a regular basis is one by Ken Hom on Chinese cookery. This was a tie-in with a BBC series, and to the best of my knowledge, isn't still available anymore. Otherwise, I have scores of cookery books, but I tend to dip into them for specific recipes.

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I recommend the periodical Cook's Illustrated. Each issue they go really in depth on about six topics, such as "how to make the best apple pie," or "the best bread machines," etc. I think they also sell a compilation set at the end of the year. It's really an outstanding reference.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

How to Serve Man - excellent book! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

I enjoy the Emeril Lagasse for Cajun style, Rick Bayless for Mexican and Grady Spears for Texas style. My mother also gave my wife a orignal Betty Crocker the first year we were married. It is great for the basic stuff.

Have fun and happy eatting!

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    For her birthday, I bought my wife the "Masterchef" CD Rom set, which includes something like 35 cookbooks. She loves it. She collects cookbooks, and has a great time with the CD Rom.

8. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

I love to cook as well. Sunset has a great line of inexpensive cookbooks with some great recipes in them. You can find a lot of their older books (do cookbooks go out of date?) at half price books for real cheap. My favorite of their line is the Stir-Fry cookbook.
    There is a series of books that I love to look through. It is called "The Beautiful Cookbook Series". These are really large cookbooks that can double as coffee table books. The recipes in them are aimed at authentic regional cooking (i.e. Asia, The Beautiful Cookbook has authentic regional recipes from different parts of Asia). In this series I have seen Asia, France, Italy, and Texas. Im sure there are more. You can check Amazon for the others.
    As far as online...
    I highly recommend www.allrecipes.com They have a great selection of practical meals that are rated by people that have actually made the recipes. In the reviews, you can read about the subtle changes each cook had done to suit their own needs or how the recipe can be better. This site is aimed primarily toward family cooking and most of the recipes are straightforward and dont take too much time to prepare.
    www.caprial.com has some easy and elegant meals that I find are really good for impressing a date. Caprial also has a couple of TV shows where she shows you how to cook gourmet meals easily. I love her Pork Loin with Rosemary-Balsamic Glaze.
    www.epicurious.com boasts the largest recipe collection. I have had so much fun with the other two websites, that I havent had a chance to try out this site. They have reviews as well.
    Good Luck!
    -ikiru

9. LaCinda

LaCinda Auditioning

I collect cookbooks and I have to say that the local Grange cookbooks are really wonderful. Any Betty Crocker cookbook too...and the Pillsbury Bake Off cookbooks.....hhhmm...should crack one open today and make something really good. [​IMG]

10. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

If you are ever in the mood for some homestyle cooking, you must check out this title. It contains the best meatloaf recipe I have ever tasted and much more. [​IMG]
    Sylvia's Soul Food: Recipes from Harlem's World-Famous Restaurant