What's new

What are some of the more notorious DVD problems? (1 Viewer)

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
I was curious what DVD problems have been some of the more famous here at HTF in the last year or two. You know...bad layer changes, skipping, horrible navigation errors...that kind of thing. I don't mean bad masters, but discs that were badly put together. I remember the fuss that Moulin Rouge and the DTS snch issue caused. That's the kind of thing I mean.

Just curious,
Lee

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Moulin Rouge was a hardware problem, rather than software.

I have an 2000 Toshiba-SD1600 and it works fine in DTS mode.

One notorious DVD problem is Disney's censored DVDs of Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Saludas Amigos, and Fantasia. Word has it that Disney's board won't allow them to be fixed, thus no real versions of the movies.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I don't know if this is just a quirk or what, but last night I rented and watched THE GOOD GIRL. In a lot of the dark scenes, the blacks had a strong bluish hue to them. I'm pretty sure it was not my TV as I watched a bit of TRAINING DAY on cable, just after this movie finished. In the dark scenes the blacks looked fine, Denzel's jacket and his skin tone, etc. Also, just the last few nights I wacthed BATMAN RETURNS and BEVERLY HILLS COP II dvd's and did not notice any such problem.

When I first got my TV, I had to adjust grayscale as some of the blacks in darker scenes had a slight purplish hue. But that has been fine ever since and this problem was definitely a fairly strong bluish hue, not purplish.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
John,

I rented and watched THE GOOD GIRL. In a lot of the dark scenes, the blacks had a strong bluish hue to them. I'm pretty sure it was not my TV
You're right, it's not your TV. This is from uk.media.dvd:

"Anyone else have trouble with the colours on their copy of 'The Good Girl'?
In the scenes when it is dark there is a blue hue to the picture that is
annoying. Is this my copy or are all copies ridden with this problem?"

Chris

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The defective lacquer used by Crest National on several Anchor Bay titles, such as Heathers, Frankenstein Created Woman, The Witches and I think a couple others on their first pressing.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Nominee for Funkiest Layer Change:
Bridge on the River Kwai
The movie is set up as 2 titles, can't remember whether or not anyone posted a reason why they might have done it this way.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Christian thanks for the info. When I was watching it I was freaked that something happened to my grayscale and was dreading having ot tweak it again. I can't believe a new movie and new dvd like that would have such a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks